Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
That's the one lacking feature that surprises me. Frankly, I'd be fine removing the 4th night feature and replacing it with primary rental insurance, hotels to 5x, and bumping the TY point conversion to portal cash to 1.25 or 1.5x...
I wouldn't expect any positive innovations out Prestige. They cannot convince Prestige members to carry interest bearing balances, and without that, they can't fund perks.

There is a big difference at Citi between who has revolving debt between their free cards, and their AF cards.

One reason why they are pursuing a strategy of 0 percent balance transfers as a sign up bonus rather than cash / point bonuses, since that gets them the customers they actually want.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:55 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Wiki updated. Citi won't allow any trading of leveraged and inverse ETFs. Just traditional investments.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Just received an offer of $1,500 for opening a citigold and maintain balance for 90 days. Does anyone know if you can link this account with the accelerated savings and leave the money in there instead?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Just received an offer of $1,500 for opening a citigold and maintain balance for 90 days. Does anyone know if you can link this account with the accelerated savings and leave the money in there instead?
I'm not familiar with that particular product, but citigold includes all accounts you hold with citibank, so you should be fine.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Yes, you can. As soon as you have properly linked the account with the Citigold Checking.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I'm not familiar with that particular product, but citigold includes all accounts you hold with citibank, so you should be fine.
Actually, it does not. The accounts must be linked to the Citigold Checking account in order to qualified. And linking issue is one of the most common issue you can experience with Citibank.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Yes, you can. As soon as you have properly linked the account with the Citigold Checking.

Actually, it does not. The accounts must be linked to the Citigold Checking account in order to qualified. And linking issue is one of the most common issue you can experience with Citibank.
I had tremendous difficulties with Citi account linking. Bank people could not link brokerage accounts and brokerage people could not link bank accounts. Account opening had to be done online. No branch other than going to NYC. Often phone calls are answered by call center in Philippines. So I had to contact the banker who originally opened my accounts and wait for her to do her magic for a few days. It was a nightmare. Different divisions within Citi can't communicate.

And I'm out of Citi relationship now. Just some CCs. Much easier.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

Thanks, but it looks like if you live in a state where there is physical citi branch you don't qualify for it...

Do people think 200+125 TYP is worth it to bother with a regular savings that give little to no interests?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I had tremendous difficulties with Citi account linking. Bank people could not link brokerage accounts and brokerage people could not link bank accounts. Account opening had to be done online. No branch other than going to NYC. Often phone calls are answered by call center in Philippines. So I had to contact the banker who originally opened my accounts and wait for her to do her magic for a few days. It was a nightmare. Different divisions within Citi can't communicate.

And I'm out of Citi relationship now. Just some CCs. Much easier.
some of it is (I think) related to that there are different branches of Citi retail banks. However the customer can't actually see that, and its not a choice they have, and some of those just don't have the data feeds to link up correctly with everything else. My very old Citigold account (circa 90's) is out of NYC and doesn't connect properly to some things, but the wife's account (which gets its CG status from me!) does link up properly. So inexplicably all the Citigold subscription stuff goes to her, and not me.

All that being said, for the person who knows how to maximize their system with free cards, safe deposit boxes, subscription benefits, no fee investment accounts I think they have something to offer for the savvy mass affluent consumer. The fact that balances count (for status) when Citi earns nothing on them (like a broad based ETF) is amazing to me. There have been some rumblings about another level above CG with higher balances needed that would come with a free AA Exec card...if that happens I'd move more over to them.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
some of it is (I think) related to that there are different branches of Citi retail banks. However the customer can't actually see that, and its not a choice they have, and some of those just don't have the data feeds to link up correctly with everything else. My very old Citigold account (circa 90's) is out of NYC and doesn't connect properly to some things, but the wife's account (which gets its CG status from me!) does link up properly. So inexplicably all the Citigold subscription stuff goes to her, and not me.

All that being said, for the person who knows how to maximize their system with free cards, safe deposit boxes, subscription benefits, no fee investment accounts I think they have something to offer for the savvy mass affluent consumer. The fact that balances count (for status) when Citi earns nothing on them (like a broad based ETF) is amazing to me. There have been some rumblings about another level above CG with higher balances needed that would come with a free AA Exec card...if that happens I'd move more over to them.
I just responded to another thread on Chase CPC relationship. Both CitiGold and Chase CPC have their pros and cons. But the huge common con is that, both have very limited investment products that they limit. Specifically both do not offer the complex ETFs like leveraged and inverse ETFs. When I moved assets into both of them, I did not know. This is a clear no-go with me. Even my old WellsTrade accounts allow those ETFs. For self-directed clients, the banks should limit what clients can do and can't do. That defeated the whole purpose of self-directing.

I've clearly benefited from those ETFs for more than 10 years. The gains from the extra 5% or 10% investment returns I could make far outpace the limited benefits offered by the CitiGold and Chase CPC. Now Schwab offers $100 on its AmEx Platinum card. This may be something I keep my eye on the card.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:49 am

I just responded to another thread on Chase CPC relationship. Both CitiGold and Chase CPC have their pros and cons. But the huge common con is that, both have very limited investment products that they limit. Specifically both do not offer the complex ETFs like leveraged and inverse ETFs. When I moved assets into both of them, I did not know. This is a clear no-go with me. Even my old WellsTrade accounts allow those ETFs. For self-directed clients, the banks should limit what clients can do and can't do. That defeated the whole purpose of self-directing.or

I've clearly benefited from those ETFs for more than 10 years. The gains from the extra 5% or 10% investment returns I could make far outpace the limited benefits offered by the CitiGold and Chase CPC. Now Schwab offers $100 on its AmEx Platinum card. This may be something I keep my eye on the card.
I"m a professional inst. investor and while I grant some clients can do well with those products...the vast majority of people don't have good outcomes with them. If its maybe a small sliver of the account no big deal, but there are a lot of wipeouts (and arbitration suits) when those are involved. It's getting to the point where more firms than not are blocking those products. My belief is that they should just require options/margin paperwork for those interested.

Alternatively, its not a big deal to have mulitple accounts, one can use the Citi (or Chase CPC) world for basic stuff, and get an interactive for complex stuff. Citi's brokerage world is not good for anyone who needs / wants to trade, or needs securities servicing (voluntary corp actions etc.)
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:03 am
Suspended

I"m a professional inst. investor and while I grant some clients can do well with those products...the vast majority of people don't have good outcomes with them. If its maybe a small sliver of the account no big deal, but there are a lot of wipeouts (and arbitration suits) when those are involved. It's getting to the point where more firms than not are blocking those products. My belief is that they should just require options/margin paperwork for those interested.

Alternatively, its not a big deal to have mulitple accounts, one can use the Citi (or Chase CPC) world for basic stuff, and get an interactive for complex stuff. Citi's brokerage world is not good for anyone who needs / wants to trade, or needs securities servicing (voluntary corp actions etc.)
I guess we all know what "self-directed" or "self-guided" mean. So if both Chase and Citi state they offer stock and ETF trading, but in reality then only allow a subset of stocks and ETFs, then this is misleading to me. I was mislead for sure. They should have disclosed this at beginning. It is none of their business if some novice traders got wiped out. They can be wiped out the same way at Chase and Citi if they borrowed on margin and do risky trades like with options etc.

I guess both Chase and Citi were pressured by the evolving brokerage industry. I remember before most brokerage houses had the zero commissions, Citi charged good money for stock trading. And its brokerage offering is really subpar, with very limited functionalities.

The worst thing with Citi is its customer service. Most are serviced with overseas service centers.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Thanks, but it looks like if you live in a state where there is physical citi branch you don't qualify for it...
It depends on the offer. It is not absolute.

The worst thing with Citi is its customer service.
While you can say that, the actual problem of Citi is consistency.

For a single question of customer inquiry, with Chase, at least 8 out of 10 bank personnel will tell you the exact response. However, with Citi, the best is 4 out of 10. In other word, Chase is a brand you can trust, but not Citi (as your experience varies by your interaction).
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:54 am

There have been some rumblings about another level above CG with higher balances needed that would come with a free AA Exec card...if that happens I'd move more over to them.
Did you mean https://citigoldprivateclient.citi.com/ ?

More specifically, https://citigoldprivateclient.citi.c...editcards.html (only first year free, though)
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:57 am
Suspended

While you can say that, the actual problem of Citi is consistency.

For a single question of customer inquiry, with Chase, at least 8 out of 10 bank personnel will tell you the exact response. However, with Citi, the best is 4 out of 10. In other word, Chase is a brand you can trust, but not Citi (as your experience varies by your interaction).
It is always dreadful when I reach Citi's overseas service center. They answer like robots. They can't get things done, but good at apologizing. The rep at chat is better. But they have little power.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Did you mean https://citigoldprivateclient.citi.com/ ?

More specifically, https://citigoldprivateclient.citi.c...editcards.html (only first year free, though)
Thanks for sharing that , but I was referring to something different.

THey have been taking surveys where they propose a level above CG , and likely below true Private Client. Think 1mm or so in assets. And the perk would be the free card.

Private Client is a lot of fees, so hard to really make sense / value out of it, but maybe some people like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.