Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
45 Citi Card accounts - the same account type - ....
It would be helpful if you would clarify what you mean by same account type in this context. Citi issued five variants of AAdvantage card in recent years, with shifting eligibility requirements.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

opening multiple AA accounts = AA domain and violation of AA rules
opening multiple cards is none of AA business if citi chose to do so - citi paid AA for all those miles
rover4618 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mia
It would be helpful if you would clarify what you mean by same account type in this context. Citi issued five variants of AAdvantage card in recent years, with shifting eligibility requirements.
AA does not provide specifics on which cards are included in the brief, other than to suggest that they are all Citi cards.

For three people in two years that would still be quite a challenge to do without breaking the rules. And that's before considering which promo codes were used.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Sorry if I made it seem as if all 45 were the same.
I meant...
5 varients, 3 people. If they got all 5, 15 accounts max. But they had 45 Citi AA cards. If they were perfectly split, that would mean each had 3 of the exact same card type. There is no reasonable excuse for that. Even if one could argue a reason for more than one of the same card... we are talking 3 people doing it across 5 types, 3 times each for a total of 45 AA Citi cards. It doesn't pass the sniff test.

(And we are not even addressing the multiple AA accounts.)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:06 pm
jmw

This is the law firm that AA is using in the DOT complaint - https://www.kmazuckert.com/

The answer proves AA will throw in a lot of money in legal fees to fight these cases.

In my experience, this kind of defendant will ignore demand letters until you actually file a complaint in court and force them to file an answer. With the type of evidence AA has, it appears there is a high risk that AA will request summary judgment and if you draw the wrong judge, you are toast.

Nobody is going to take this kind of case on a contingency fee basis.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
This is the law firm that AA is using in the DOT complaint - https://www.kmazuckert.com/
... AA will throw in a lot of money in legal fees ...
I believe that. Their website uses jet engine pics as navigation buttons!
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
Most interesting is AA's request that DOT require the complainant to verify her Complaint as required by DOT rules. E.g., verify the truthfulness of every fact she states and be willing to suffer the maximum 5-year term of imprisonment for violating 18 USC Section 1001 if she has made materially false statements.

No holds barred in this response. Clearly, AA did this to get the facts out there and also demonstrate its capacity to track what many thought it could not.
AA’s lawyers are not in a position to act as federal criminal prosecutors, no matter what scare language they put up to try to intimidate complaining parties and may be theoretically applicable. I suspect that the offices of US Attorneys usually have way too many other things cooking than to kiss up to AA on behalf of AA’s issues with crazy credit card applicants whose applications with the banks aren’t easily sold to a jury as being financial fraud. Federal prosecutions are not cheap, even as the US DOJ has lots of prosecutors on tap for rather fixed costs.

Isn’t the AA-used lawyer/firm in that response still on a fixed retainer?
rover4618 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 7, 2020 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
You have to file a formal complaint using a specif template and put it in the DOT docket. The best advice I've seen about that process is here: How to file and pursue a consumer complaint against an airline ? and the DOT “formal complaint” process – Ben Edelman.
+1 In fact, it appears the "complainant" used that very site since they left the COMPLAINT OF [YOUR NAME] header in the complaint.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
AA’s lawyers are not in a position to act as federal criminal prosecutors, no matter what scare language they put up to try to intimidate complaining parties and may be theoretically applicable. I suspect that the offices of US Attorneys usually have way too many other things cooking than to kiss up to AA on behalf of AA’s issues with crazy credit card applicants whose applications with the banks aren’t easily sold to a jury as being financial fraud. Federal prosecutions are not cheap, even as the US DOJ has lots of prosecutors on tap for rather fixed costs.

Isn’t the AA-used lawyer/firm in that response still on a fixed retainer?
1. The firm specifically markets itself as experienced in FFP litigation. How much and of what type is a research project,but it's obviously a profit center if they market it.
2. No idea what their fee arrangements are. But, whatever the fees are, has to be profitable for the firm and manageable for AA.
3. I haven't suggested that the Justice Department will prosecute anyone. The 1001 certification, if DOT requires it, makes a civil case a lot easier as well.
4. Don't rule out the Justice Department doing 1-2 cases just to send a message. Happens all the time. Not as though someone has to go to the gallows for this, but a felony conviction for one person would scare the pants off a cottage industry.
notquiteaff, Global321 and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
3. I haven't suggested that the Justice Department will prosecute anyone. The 1001 certification, if DOT requires it, makes a civil case a lot easier as well.
4. Don't rule out the Justice Department doing 1-2 cases just to send a message. Happens all the time. Not as though someone has to go to the gallows for this, but a felony conviction for one person would scare the pants off a cottage industry.
Whose civil case over credit card SUBs? AA’s eager to go to court in a civil case and risk the consequences from being subject to discovery?

As to DOJ/USA Offices “doing 1-2 cases [about this situation] just to send a message” and try to put up a federal felony conviction to stop this mythical “cottage industry” of credit card SUBs, I’ll believe it if I see DOJ go to court on such matter. And until then I’ll chalk it up as more of the scare-mongering that makes this such an extraordinarily entertaining forum at times.
MaxVO and asdfghjk like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now there's a thread related to this in the AA forum:

AA: some corporate security / fraud practices in DOT complaint response
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
...Here is the PDF of AA’s response to one individual, with screenshots of Flyertalk threads to boot:

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf
This PDF document is posted at downloads.regulations.gov, so it is presumably not something that AA is purposely distributing to intimidate people. It has been made available by the government (presumably DoT). If such documents are available to the public, then:

(a) Shouldn't we also be able to download the complaint to which this is a response?
(b) This can't be the only complaint ever filed; shouldn't we be able to download the full range of AA responses?

I did go to the DoT web page and found nothing useful, but it is possible I missed something
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
(a) Shouldn't we also be able to download the complaint to which this is a response?
(b) This can't be the only complaint ever filed; shouldn't we be able to download the full range of AA responses?
I did go to the DoT web page and found nothing useful, but it is possible I missed something
Perhaps sbm12 might know what other goodies are accessible.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
This PDF document is posted at downloads.regulations.gov, so it is presumably not something that AA is purposely distributing to intimidate people. It has been made available by the government (presumably DoT). If such documents are available to the public, then:

The original complaint is posted on the same website - in fact, I originally included it in my post. However, I subsequently deleted it because it contained the complainant's visible e-mail address.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:01 am

It's probably not and it certainly won't be, but this is AA's entire strategy, I believe. Look at the range of cases and pick one that's particularly egregious. Show everyone the hoops people jumped through to get a ton of miles under circumstances where the average person (and bureaucrat) would say that the person was wrong. Then hope that everyone else -- including the people who did 3 SUBs instead of 45 -- gets treated the same way.

It's a great strategy. Heck, look at the thread on the AA page of this website. There are people who want this person to go to prison for 10 years for what happened here. Those people aren't going to have sympathy for anyone who got caught up in this, regardless of how different the facts are.
GUWonder, LETTERBOY, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.