Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Kerr's does not say his accounts are re-opened. (He does include a screenshot of closed CITI accounts; He also does not say they were Clint's so they could be his.
/ - From April

As far as JT, his Twitter indicates he's used AA miles as recently as March before he quit flying because of COVID.
hurnik likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
https://twitter.com/KerrPoints/statu...58053892407298/ - From April

As far as JT, his Twitter indicates he's used AA miles as recently as March before he quit flying because of COVID.
Thanks for the facts.

I think most of us accept there are 'stories' on the internet that someone purports to have sued AA and won the right to get their accounts/miles back wit regards to account abuse, but there are no specifics (that I am aware of). I did not see any on reddit.
Anyone have anyactualsmall claims case outcome to report? (Case #'s, jurisdiction, outcome)
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Thanks for the facts.

I think most of us accept there are 'stories' on the internet that someone purports to have sued AA and won the right to get their accounts/miles back wit regards to account abuse, but there are no specifics (that I am aware of). I did not see any on reddit.
Anyone have anyactualsmall claims case outcome to report? (Case #'s, jurisdiction, outcome)
providing details such as that is in clear violation of NDAs that are common for settlements.

btw the group is not on reddit, but a different app via invite only.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by BaconSF
providing details such as that is in clear violation of NDAs that are common for settlements.

A case number is public record and cannot be barred by an NDA. Given the attention on these matters, it would seem that someone would have "doxed" the case number based on the hometown and name of an alleged victor.
Global321 and sethMCOflyer like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
A case number is public record and cannot be barred by an NDA. Given the attention on these matters, it would seem that someone would have "doxed" the case number based on the hometown and name of an alleged victor.
Exactly. If someone sued and then signed a NDA the case history doesn’t automatically go away, that’s all still public record. Of course a NDA would probably prevent them from writing on here saying “check out case XX in XX county,” but that wouldn’t prevent anyone else from writing that.

It’d be beneficial for the mass if anyone who is in the process of suing would post their court details. Then if they go silent we can make assumptions on what happened.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by BaconSF

If you are trying to say, someone filed a case, negotiated and settled.... all without ANY publicity - from a group that was desperately trying to get publicity - that is quite a tale!

Case numbers are not part of NDA's. Can't be.

So still zero confirmed cases filed, went to court and/or let alone settled. Got it.

FWIW - The reddit group pretty much fell silent when the rubber met the road.

Exactly. If someone sued and then signed a NDA the case history doesn’t automatically go away, that’s all still public record. Of course a NDA would probably prevent them from writing on here saying “check out case XX in XX county,” but that wouldn’t prevent anyone else from writing that.

It’d be beneficial for the mass if anyone who is in the process of suing would post their court details. Then if they go silent we can make assumptions on what happened.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Finding case numbers is easy. But, when a civil case settles, unless it is a class action or involves a minor child, there are very few instances where you would see anything other than a dismissal in the file. The terms of the settlement, whether covered by an NDA or not, won't be filed. No reason for that in a routine SCC matter.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Often1
Finding case numbers is easy. But, when a civil case settles, unless it is a class action or involves a minor child, there are very few instances where you would see anything other than a dismissal in the file. The terms of the settlement, whether covered by an NDA or not, won't be filed. No reason for that in a routine SCC matter.
Correct. On the other hand, if there is a filed SCC matter, and if it was voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiff before the hearing, and if that plaintiff is someone who was "known" to have lots of miles at stake, it might at least support the narrative (about which I am skeptical) that AA is "settling" these cases. So can someone name one such case which was filed more than a month ago?
MaxVO and sethMCOflyer like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:56 am

Correct. On the other hand, if there is a filed SCC matter, and if it was voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiff before the hearing, and if that plaintiff is someone who was "known" to have lots of miles at stake, it might at least support the narrative (about which I am skeptical) that AA is "settling" these cases. So can someone name one such case which was filed more than a month ago?
And if they dropped the case for some other reason they could easily say that.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And if they dropped the case for some other reason they could easily say that.
But, unlikely that they would. In a typical SCC, the forms are "fill in the blank" and a voluntary dismissal says just that. In many SCC cases, there won't even be a dismissal filed by the plaintiff. The Plaintiff simply agrees not to show up for the assigned date and the case is dismissed by the court.

Bottom line is that one could engage in an expensive and time-consuming research project and learn close to nothing,.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Often1
But, unlikely that they would. In a typical SCC, the forms are "fill in the blank" and a voluntary dismissal says just that. In many SCC cases, there won't even be a dismissal filed by the plaintiff. The Plaintiff simply agrees not to show up for the assigned date and the case is dismissed by the court.

Bottom line is that one could engage in an expensive and time-consuming research project and learn close to nothing,.
I agree that the court file itself would have very little information. But the very fact that someone filed a court case, and then didn't bother to appear and/or dismissed, in these circumstances, would be very interesting.

No, the point is that it [almost certainly] didn't really happen. I don't believe that AA is entering into settlements restoring miles/accounts/status/participation (pick one or more) to people who have filed Small Claims cases.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:46 pm

... So can someone name one such case which was filed more than a month ago?
When you make this request, can you name a single reason why someone having this info should give it to you in a public forum? What are possible upsides and downsides of such public disclosure?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 8:09 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MaxVO
When you make this request, can you name a single reason why someone having this info should give it to you in a public forum? What are possible upsides and downsides of such public disclosure?
Upside - showing that there is any truth to the assertion that AA has relented on its position as a result of pressure.

Downside - None I can think of.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:07 pm

Upside - showing that there is any truth to the assertion that AA has relented on its position as a result of pressure.
LOL Maybe I should've been more specific. What's the upside for the source of info, not for you? What benefit will they get by sharing anything with you?
Granted, we're all here to learn and share. But there's also an implicit expectation of reciprocity and common interests. On certain subjects we gotta contribute some work (and cooperative attitude) before others are willing to share theirs.
notquiteaff and BaconSF like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
LOL Maybe I should've been more specific. What's the upside for the source of info, not for you? What benefit will they get by sharing anything with you?
Granted, we're all here to learn and share. But there's also an implicit expectation of reciprocity and common interests. On certain subjects we gotta contribute some work (and cooperative attitude) before others are willing to share theirs.
If I had successfully sued AA, I'd want others to know so they could do the same, thereby compounding the pain for AA. ((I am just restating what sbrower said.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.