Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This thread will be closed again, and posting privileges suspended, if there is further taunting. Learn to write about ideas without personal overtones.
I didn't know it had re-opened! I was one of the folks who got shut down, contacted the DOT, heard from AA with their standard reply, and wrote back to AA asking for more info. 2 months and no reply. I really don't have any answers or particulars to add to the lengthy threads above, but you can PM me if you want to know any specifics of how it all unfolded..
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I didn't know it had re-opened! I was one of the folks who got shut down, contacted the DOT, heard from AA with their standard reply, and wrote back to AA asking for more info. 2 months and no reply. I really don't have any answers or particulars to add to the lengthy threads above, but you can PM me if you want to know any specifics of how it all unfolded..
Contact Citi to confirm that you qualified for the sign on bonus, then file a complaint with the CFPB. Then take AA to small claims court
rover4618 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If you still haven't received "the email" from Corporate Security, you're probably good. To be certain of your status, you'll need to book AA award travel and have tickets issued.
I thought I saw reports of shutdowns happening only right before or even during travel?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BaconSF
Contact Citi to confirm that you qualified for the sign on bonus, then file a complaint with the CFPB. Then take AA to small claims court
Is that working for others?
Global321 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Is that working for others?
...or even one other?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by James Ben
I thought I saw reports of shutdowns happening only right before or even during travel?
While it's true you can get shut down right before your flight or during your trip, it's not a case of "only" then. You have a chance of finding out sooner if you follow the advice here and try to book something new. But even if you're allowed to book something new, that only means that at that particular moment in time, your account is fine. When you're at the airport and you are about to check in, things might have changed.

The best advice is if the trip's important, have backup refundable tickets.

Last edited by cheaptom; Jun 22, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Hi guys, a friend of mine got shut down because of this. Did anyone manage to have their accounts reopen?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by i_travel_for_work
Hi guys, a friend of mine got shut down because of this. Did anyone manage to have their accounts reopen?
per the private forum, people have been successful after suing
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... suing
In small claims court, state court, or Federal court?
sethMCOflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Successful in getting what? If it happened in a court, why is the information so closely held?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

FT private forum ? I was told there is nothing on Reddit
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:01 pm

The bloggers were successful in keeping their AA accounts open even after one of them had screenshots of them buying AA codes being posted. So it's obviously possible.
rover4618 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
The bloggers were successful in keeping their AA accounts open even after one of them had screenshots of them buying AA codes being posted. So it's obviously possible.
Accomplished by small claims court ? Who ? What blogger?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618
Accomplished by small claims court ? Who ? What blogger?
Richard Kerr and JT Genter, both TPG bloggers at the time, wrote about the shutdowns back in December and then quickly shut up and never mentioned them again. Both still have active accounts despite admitting to having a bunch of cards, Kerr was the one who someone posted a screenshot of paying for a code. I assume AA let both slide through since they’re bloggers.

edit: apparently JT didn’t use this specific method
rover4618, hurnik and MaxVO like this.

Last edited by sethMCOflyer; Jun 26, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Richard Kerr and JT Genter, both TPG bloggers at the time, wrote about the shutdowns back in December and then quickly shut up and never mentioned them again. Both still have active accounts despite admitting to having a bunch of cards, Kerr was the one who someone posted a screenshot of paying for a code. I assume AA let both slide through since they’re bloggers.
FWIW -
From March of this year...
Kerr's does not say his accounts are re-opened. (He does include a screenshot of closed CITI accounts; He also does not say they were Clint's so they could be his.)
Kerr does not say his AA account is open or closed.
Zero mention of any small claims cases he is aware of.

JT Genter doesn't mention his accounts are closed or open.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/dont-l...tern-bite-you/
rover4618 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.