Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
"Have" or "had"?
I thought that miles didn't actually disappear (just became unusable) until the whole account was closed down?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I thought that miles didn't actually disappear (just became unusable) until the whole account was closed down?
You may be thinking of "frozen". By now all the frozen accounts have been closed down, I believe. I've not heard of any that were unfrozen or remain frozen but not yet closed down.

Of course the accounts still remain internally---when I try to log in it declines my password and lets me go through the process of answering my previously setup questions to change the password (but fails at the end).
rover4618 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
"Have" or "had"?

HAD

You may be thinking of "frozen". By now all the frozen accounts have been closed down, I believe. I've not heard of any that were unfrozen or remain frozen but not yet closed down.

Of course the accounts still remain internally---when I try to log in it declines my password and lets me go through the process of answering my previously setup questions to change the password (but fails at the end).
That’s good to know.
sdsearch and rover4618 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
HAD
Are you aware that you can go back and Edit your original post to correct it to say HAD instead of HAVE?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you aware that you can go back and Edit your original post to correct it to say HAD instead of HAVE?
No point once the unedited post has been quoted by others.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Have" or "had"?
They had 2M+ miles, but they have 2M+ miles as skin in this situation.
Global321 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Surprised this hasn’t posted in this thread:
https://paxex.aero/2020/07/american-...age-behaviors/

Here is the PDF of AA’s response to one individual, with screenshots of Flyertalk threads to boot:

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf

Last edited by Adelphos; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:01 pm Reason: Delete a PDF with an e-mail attached
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Well, both the document and the article are dated today.

Interesting though. What does one have to do to get AA to respond in such detail to DoT? I thought DoT was not pursuing individual cases.

I want to make AA respond to my case with something more than the vague boilerplate response I got. What have I got to lose?

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:25 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Adelphos
https://paxex.aero/2020/07/american-...age-behaviors/

Here is the PDF of AA’s response to one individual, with screenshots of Flyertalk threads to boot:

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf
Most interesting is AA's request that DOT require the complainant to verify her Complaint as required by DOT rules. E.g., verify the truthfulness of every fact she states and be willing to suffer the maximum 5-year term of imprisonment for violating 18 USC Section 1001 if she has made materially false statements.

No holds barred in this response. Clearly, AA did this to get the facts out there and also demonstrate its capacity to track what many thought it could not.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:09 pm

I noticed that AA arguments had quite a few holes in them, just in case someone might have enough idle time this year to challenge.
1. AA provided copious documentation for Citi's current SUB limits, while the bonuses in question may've been earned under previous rules.
2. AA conveniently forgets to mention that the one in 48 months limit is per Citi's product like, of which they have four.
3. AA submitted a few random comments from unrelated FT members as "proof" that the complaint on the table is fraudulent. I'm not even sure what would be an appropriate adjective for the quality of this argument.

Last edited by MaxVO; Jul 6, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I noticed that AA arguments had quite a few holes in them, just in case someone might have enough idle time this year to challenge.
1. AA provided copious documentation for Citi's current SUB limits, while the bonuses in question may've been earned under previous rules.
2. AA conveniently forgets to mention that the one in 48 months limit is per Citi's product like, of which they have four.
3. AA submitted a few random comments from unrelated FT members as "proof" that the complaint on the table is fraudulent. I'm not even sure what would be an appropriate adjective for the quality of this argument.
I agree, it is a half-assed job done by an intern. But it is more than what most of us got---I just got a flat out lie via e-mail. I'd be interested to know how to pursue it beyond the initial web complaint to DOT.
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 6, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Often1
Most interesting is AA's request that DOT require the complainant to verify her Complaint as required by DOT rules. E.g., verify the truthfulness of every fact she states and be willing to suffer the maximum 5-year term of imprisonment for violating 18 USC Section 1001 if she has made materially false statements.

No holds barred in this response. Clearly, AA did this to get the facts out there and also demonstrate its capacity to track what many thought it could not.

I wonder if mother/MiL was actually aware of the complaint filed in her name...
GUWonder, wrp96 and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

I wonder if AA is looking to make an example out of someone.

1. You don't know where the SUB's were owned. AA does.
2. Maybe/maybe not. But AA does not have to provide anything that does not help their case.
3. I agree the FT comments are irrelevant in terms of 'proof'

However, unless AA is lying...
...between the Complainant, her son-in-law and daughter, 45 Citi Card accounts were opened over a four-year period, entailing more than 1.4 million miles in New Account Mileage Bonuses.
....The 45 Citi Card accounts do not include an additional nine Citi Card accounts associated with the Complainant’s street address but established under names different than the Complainant, her son-in-law or daughter.
...a further 16 AAdvantage accounts were established by the three of them.
...The 16 AAdvantage accounts do not include five additional AAdvantage accounts associated with the Complainant’s street address but established under names different than the Complainant, her son-in-law or daughter. Of those five additional AAdvantage accounts, two have been terminated due to fraudulent accrual of New Account Mileage Bonuses.

16 AA accounts alone is pretty clear in my mind that there was an attempt to defraud AA.
45 Citi Card accounts - the same account type - also pretty clear to a layperson there was shadiness going on.
The 5 additional AA accounts with 9 Citicards that are not in their names are suspicious, to say the least.

Miss Borges and family may want to tread lightly. The miles are gone. Don't be the people AA goes after for submitting materially false statements to DOT. You may find yourself on the wrong side of an AA lawsuit.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, both the document and the article are dated today.

Interesting though. What does one have to do to get AA to respond in such detail to DoT? I thought DoT was not pursuing individual cases.

I want to make AA respond to my case with something more than the vague boilerplate response I got. What have I got to lose?
You have to file a formal complaint using a specif template and put it in the DOT docket. The best advice I've seen about that process is here: How to file and pursue a consumer complaint against an airline ? and the DOT “formal complaint” process – Ben Edelman.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I wonder if mother/MiL was actually aware of the complaint filed in her name...
I've been thinking the same thing all evening since I wrote the story. Given that the kids controlled the emails I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't know all the details.

This is alluded to in the filing, with mention of every 2 years and 4 years in different areas.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.