Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by bailey911
https://milestomemories.com/aa-tells...-aa-shutdowns/

Barclays might also have a question for her. Apparently blogger "milestomemories" has posted that Barclays attempted to contact AA about the account closures and was told its an internal issue and it does not concern them. I dont see how that can be true when those who have been shutdown with Aviator cards are affected.
Interesting. I'll check out the link. If the number of shutdowns is very small as has been speculated, then the number of affected Barclays Aviator card holders should be smaller still. (I haven't held the Aviator card in years because I haven't been able to get approved by Barclays due to too many new (mostly Citi AAdvantage) card applications, and it would seem a lot of the folks who were shut down would have been in the same boat). It may well be the case that the number of Aviator cardholders affected by the shutdown is tiny, but it's interesting that the number is large enough Barclays wants to talk to American about it.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:09 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
....isn’t what AA is currently referencing in their DOT responses. ....
AA's people know DOT's people. If they need to refine their replies to address variable circumstances they will have that opportunity. Under the current circumstances this incident shrinks into oblivion. It shouldn't be that way, but it will be. If you want relief, hire a lawyer.
Global321 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:54 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Frankly most of what I'm doing right now is to prepare for future litigation--collect information, force AA errors, and generate a trail of AA/DOT correspondence for FOIA requests. Given how the AA Executive Team is all in and has "Full Faith" in Corporate Security they're not going to blink outside of a settlement, I'd say.

But merely raising the compliance costs to AA--responding to DOT inquires, hitting the e-mailboxes of the executive staff, and generally causing as much chaos and problems for them as possible is also a goal in and of itself.

And I cant help but think with Corona hitting the Travel Industry very hard and DOT knowing some Carriers may not survive thru it, arent gonna be pressing AA about anything right now or the immediate future. And if everyone overwhelms DOT about AA Shutdowns they may just want to get rid of it and say its Not our problem end of story
Global321 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:08 pm

No longer relevant.
cheaptom likes this.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
All wishful thinking if indeed the miles are one's property.
Miles are already treated no differently than cash by the IRS.

By your argument, the cash I receive on a cash-back card is not my property either.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Miles are already treated no differently than cash by the IRS.

By your argument, the cash I receive on a cash-back card is not my property either.

Yet if you have high enough status with Santander Bank they will give you back up to $30 a month for fees charged by other Banks ATMs, theres an * which basically says the $ returned to you will be considered as Income and you will get a 1099 for it
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by craz
Yet if you have high enough status with Santander Bank they will give you back up to $30 a month for fees charged by other Banks ATMs, theres an * which basically says the $ returned to you will be considered as Income and you will get a 1099 for it
No.

The fee refund would only be income if the fee expense is a business expense. Ex: If you are a sole proprietor and incur a $2.00 ATM fee, you would deduct that fee. If the $2.00 fee is later refunded, you would report the refund as income. Or, more likely, you would not report either the expense or matching income transaction.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
No.

The fee refund would only be income if the fee expense is a business expense. Ex: If you are a sole proprietor and incur a $2.00 ATM fee, you would deduct that fee. If the $2.00 fee is later refunded, you would report the refund as income. Or, more likely, you would not report either the expense or matching income transaction.
thats NOT what the large plastic sheet on the csrs desk says, and the Select Banker agreed that it looks like The Bank will in fact be treating the returned fees going forward as Income, nothing to do with a Biz account!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
thats NOT what the large plastic sheet on the csrs desk says, and the Select Banker agreed that it looks like The Bank will in fact be treating the returned fees going forward as Income, nothing to do with a Biz account!
Interesting; Wells Fargo does not do this.

The only relevant point here is that the IRS already treats miles and cash the same; the suggestion that if they were treated as your property, the tax treatment would change is nonsense;...The fact is that the IRS already taxes miles as your property.

Last edited by mia; Mar 11, 2020 at 9:22 pm Reason: Rule 12
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:40 pm

No longer relevant.
MaxVO and VegasGambler like this.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:00 pm

What would you do

Wife and I both have accounts locked. Email to my wife shut down her account and a separate email identified a booked award flight that would be cancelled. 2 days later I received the same shut down email but I also have an award flight booked and I did not receive an email informing me that it was cancelled. I can’t log into my account as it is “gone”. When I go onto AA.com and enter the AA record locator the award tickets are still there and listed as ticketed.

Figured the award flight was gone and I made a new booking, same flights, but revenue on an AA partner. Booked directly with the partner as I don’t want to enrich AA if at all possible. The AA partner called me today as they see I have two reservations with the same itinerary. I told them I received a confusing email from AA that my award flight was cancelled. They told me the award flight is good, they have ticket numbers, and they gave me their record locator. The award flight (2 tickets) are $5k each if I had to buy them in business. The revenue tickets I bought in economy were cheap at $800 each. I now have to cancel one of these reservations.

Which would you cancel? I would hate to cancel the revenue tickets and find out closer to my travel date (June) that the award tickets are gone as getting last minute tickets will probably be very pricey. On the other hand I would hate to sit in economy for the 9,hour flight if I could still manage the business seats.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:44 pm

A little silver lining for your night: I've made far more in the past 2 weeks shorting AA stock than the value of what I lost when I was shut down.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by flightmedic
Which would you do?
Delete your post and bank on no one noticing that you slipped through.
OssianBlue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.