Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
did the miles come from locked acct? If not you should be fine..
It wasn't locked at the time we made the booking but who knows now. SO has only signed up for one AA card in last 24 months but had used mailers prior to that. We just tried to change the booking due to COVID...reservation hasn't ticketed and it's been more than 24 hours.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:35 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Edit: Also, you might file a complaint with CFPB about Barclay's AA sourced miles being taken away if you had one of their cards.
If that's the case you could also dispute the USAIR miles that were converted to AA being taken away, many people earned a lot of miles Via the Barclay USAIR CC SUBs.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:09 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Hi, trying to catch up since many of us are in different stages of this process and my own termination came after many others...

So for people who reported the AA termination to the DOT, they have received back a reply from AA stating essentially something like "The DOT has forwarded your correspondence to us and the reason for your termination is violations, gaming etc." AA also goes on to accuse the gamer of violating Citi's Terms? Is that pretty much where we are at?

And once we receive that AA reply, is there a consensus for what to do next?
I am responding to AA's DOT response with copies of my applications and terms and conditions proving lack of bonus restrictions. Then once the DOT avenue is exhausted, I will be working on filing my small claims case. Now that Citibank has been mentioned by AA, I may be reaching out to them, as well.
MaxVO and VegasGambler like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by MrDioji
I am responding to AA's DOT response with copies of my applications and terms and conditions proving lack of bonus restrictions. Then once the DOT avenue is exhausted, I will be working on filing my small claims case. Now that Citibank has been mentioned by AA, I may be reaching out to them, as well.
A question for the legal staff.

If you file a small claims court case and lose, are you legally finished or can you join a class action or file another claim, say in a civil court?
(I ask because I thought one only gets one bite at the apple, but IANAL, nor am I in a HIE )
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
If you file a small claims court case and lose, are you legally finished or can you join a class action or file another claim.
See posts 2872 and 2875
sdsearch likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
I thought I was not affected by the shutdown as when I called aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) in December and today, it did NOT take me to a customer service agent. However, I had to do a last minute booking and I tried doing that using my miles. Even after an hour of booking the status is "Ticket Pending". This never happened to me earlier, so I guess my account is also locked/terminated.

Last edited by SVUS; Mar 7, 2020 at 10:18 am Reason: Removed personal information.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by SVUS
I thought I was not affected by the shutdown as when I called aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) in December and today, it did NOT take me to a customer service agent. However, I had to do a last minute booking and I tried doing that using my miles. Even after an hour of booking the status is "Ticket Pending". This never happened to me earlier, so I guess my account is also locked/terminated.
I’d call and see what they say. Could take up to 24 hours to ticket.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
Originally Posted by DVDBob
I’d call and see what they say. Could take up to 24 hours to ticket.
My bad,panicked too early. You are right the reservation took time, but its ticketed now. I will update if I am able to take the trip. Sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited by SVUS; Mar 7, 2020 at 10:17 am Reason: Updated with latest info
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Fantasy. This makes no money for the lawyers, who are always the ones who benefit most from class action lawsuits. It will not even be on the table.
Wouldn't attorney fees in a class-action settlement ultimately be determined by the court? If so, why would a settlement that results in reinstatement of the terminated accounts/miles have an (adverse) effect on attorney fees?

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 7, 2020 at 11:04 am
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:52 am

Does anyone know for sure that AA realizes the 48 month restriction wasn't on the Citi Mailer Apps? It's entirely possible that AA (incorrectly) thought the 48 month language was on all apps no matter the source and have now felt entirely justified shutting everyone down with multiple Citi bonuses.

I just can't see AA thinking lying to the DOT about the 48 month language is a good idea. They may very well think all apps had the language and it's just that the "gamers" figured out an application method that didn't have the restriction applied.

They may very well think this is a situation like Amex had where everyone was using their own referral codes and getting referral bonuses each time they signed up for a new card, Amex realized this and clawed back the bonuses since the T&Cs very clearly said this wasn't allowed, just their system didn't catch it.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:44 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
.Gonna be delightful when they realize they are lying on every single....
If they do not "realize" that a statement is inaccurate, it is not a lie. Lie requires intent to deceive.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What if you sue in small claims and lose? Would that exclude you from the class as well?
Originally Posted by mia
See posts 2872 and 2875
IANAL, but in my understanding, collateral estoppel and res judicata would be applicable if the small claims case made it all the way to final judgment. I personally believe that if small claim cases fail, it will be because the cases are not fully heard - either because they are not filed correctly, or the court claims it is not in their jurisdiction, or some other issue precludes final judgment. In that case, joining a class action would be allowed.

Originally Posted by mia
If they do not "realize" that a statement is inaccurate, it is not a lie. Lie requires intent to deceive.
I don't know, it's a grey area of honesty, at best, in my book. When a corporation with teams of lawyers enacts such a strong action against individuals, and they overconfidently state their case - I see that on the spectrum of dishonesty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.