Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
It's basically the gathered wisdom of the private Reddit forum--AA seems to be implementing a 4 SUBs from Citi threshold and applying it to everyone, eventually. We're not sure of how their timing works.

The only exceptions from this are people with less than 4 SUBs who have been shutdown when a 4 SUB person is in the same household.

There is no other explanatory variable we can determine and not a single case of a 4 SUB person locked who has been unlocked.

Edit: Just to be clear, we're talking a range of people from 4 SUBs all from public offers directly mailed to them mailers to people with 15+ cards.
Does this include SUB for Mileup and Bank Accounts? I’m still on the fence about responding to a bank account SUB offer...
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Welcome to FT, Do you work for AA?
lmao no, just desperately trying to predict my fate
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:10 pm

DP: account terminated and award booking cancelled within 24 hours of travel. I had booked WN backup tickets fortunately. I have been locked for at least a month. I tried to book an award ticket that wouldn't ticket. In the past two years, I received 4 SUBs from Citi personal cards (mailers addressed to family members) and one from Citi business (public link). No Barclays. If someone is so kind as to PM me with the points I need to make in my DOT complaint to address the boilerplate response AA is providing, I would appreciate it.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

AA has begun replying to the DOT complaints, the relevant portion is quoted below. I find it interesting that they're implying that those who they're shutting down have misrepresented themselves in order to sign up for a bunch of Citi cards. They're really backing themselves into a corner with the excuse but I'm not sure the corner they're in will hold up.

The biggest thing I see is when cancelling award tickets they keep referencing an exploitative booking practice, when everyone booked tickets in the exact manner they intended using their website or calling in. But now they're tacking on verbiage to say the exploitative booking process was that the miles used were ineligible. This would imply that customers have misrepresented themselves to Citi and thus the miles Citi has deposited are ineligible, however Citi has been responding to CFPB complaints saying they have nothing to do with the shut down and deposited the miles as agreed.

By participating in the AAdvantage program, and each time they log in to their account on AA.com, every member agrees to abide by the terms and conditions of the AAdvantage Program. These terms clearly state:

Fraud, misrepresentation, abuse or violation of applicable rules (including, but not limited to, American or American Eagle® conditions of carriage, tariffs and AAdvantage® program rules) is subject to administrative and/or legal action by appropriate governmental authorities and American Airlines. Such action may include, without limitation, the forfeiture of all award tickets and any accrued mileage in a member's account, as well as termination of the account and the member's future participation in the AAdvantage® program. If your account is terminated due to inappropriate conduct or while under investigation, you may not open a new AAdvantage® account or participate in the AAdvantage® Program in any capacity without obtaining the express written permission of American Airlines. In addition, American Airlines reserves the right to take appropriate legal action to recover damages, including its attorneys' fees incurred in prosecuting any lawsuit.

From the conditions of carriage:

Your ticket is not valid when:

· We find that the ticket was bought using an exploitative practice

Upon a detailed investigation, the member was determined to have engaged in fraudulent, abusive, and/or exploitive practices through misrepresentation, to accrue a considerable amount of ineligible bonus miles. This member was not engaged in an equitable relationship with AA, rather, a systematic pattern of abuse that has caused substantial damage to the integrity of AAdvantage Program. These actions have forced us to exercise our right to prevent future losses by terminating the account(s) involved, as well as any future program eligibility. As such, at the time of termination all miles, awards, or associated benefits were removed. They are no longer eligible to participate in the AAdvantage Program.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:33 pm

No longer relevant.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The Chase case isn’t similar at all, since Chase both issued and seized the points in that case. Regardless, it’s been explained multiple times how the AA class wouldn’t be one class. A guy named Tom Smith who mistakenly used a mailer addressed to his brother Tim isn’t at all similarly situated to a person who bought 22 codes from a hacker or to a person who set up AA accounts for their long-dead childhood pets.
If Citi is cancelling on 4 SUBs those issues are not material.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:52 pm

I see you’ve deleted much of your initial reply and replaced it with the above. If that’s the “right way to think about it,” then you’re explicitly confirming illegality. Taking someone’s mail is a federal felony.
people were selling their mailer codes on forums. Not sure where you got this notion that a hacker was generating codes
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BaconSF
people were selling their mailer codes on forums. Not sure where you got this notion that a hacker was generating codes
It’s not a notion. It’s a fact, albeit one the churners are trying to memory hole.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:10 pm

It’s not a notion. It’s a fact, albeit one the churners are trying to memory hole.
where’s your proof? Isn’t that what you ask for?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by BaconSF
where’s your proof? Isn’t that what you ask for?
it was laid out in perfect detail by another poster upthread who has since edited his post and deleted that info.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Finkface
it was laid out in perfect detail by another poster upthread who has since edited his post and deleted that info.
No, it was never posted in perfect detail in this thread. It was claimed as having been done, but no proof of it having been done was ever laid out here in perfect detail.

If the claimed hacking “laid out in perfect detail” had been laid out in perfect detail, then it could have been replicated with Citicard mailer codes by you or others. Did you replicate the hacking process with CITI AA mailer codes?

Even if accepting as a given that there may have been some guessing mailer codes, note that Citi has some history of accepting applications for cards even when the mailer code is missing/illegible in whole or in part. Calling up Citi to get in on a mailer offer hasn’t always been off-limits. And it’s up to Citi to decide which applicants get approved for Citicards and under which terms the applicant is approved for and allowed to have a Citicard account.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 8, 2020 at 10:36 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No, it was never posted in perfect detail in this thread. It was claimed as having been done, but no proof of it having been done was ever laid out here in perfect detail.

If the claimed hacking “laid out in perfect detail” had been laid out in perfect detail, then it could have been replicated with Citicard mailer codes by you or others. Did you replicate the hacking process with CITI AA mailer codes?
Nope, not my style. But I certainly could have easily with the step by step directions that were provided in the now-deleted post. And yes, it was absolutely claimed to have been done.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Finkface
Nope, not my style. But I certainly could have easily with the step by step directions that were provided in the now-deleted post. And yes, it was absolutely claimed to have been done.
Claimed to be done is not the same thing as proof of it having been done.

Claiming to be able to replicate a process isn’t the same thing as certainly being able to replicate a claimed process.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:57 pm

Claiming to be able to replicate a process isn’t the same thing as certainly being able to replicate a claimed process.
Ok, if you say so.
tom911, JonNYC and GUWonder like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

What "proof" have YOU seen that any accounts have been terminated for churning?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.