Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:44 pm

No longer relevant.
Richard Berg likes this.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:32 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
https://www.middleagemiles.com/2020/...to-executives/

I'm going to laugh my butt off when AA ends up screwing up and establishing a property right to miles.
Not me. And not anybody who doesn't want miles earned on travel paid by a third-party, e.g. an employer, taxed as income.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Not me. And not anybody who doesn't want miles earned on travel paid by a third-party, e.g. an employer, taxed as income.
Last time I checked my credit card cash back was never taxed as income. Owned miles/points would not be any more taxable than cash (nor credit card based points like Ultimate Rewards and Thank You Points which are appropriately regulated and cannot be arbitrarily confiscated).
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's not confuse what's taxable by the letter of the law with what the IRS actually bothers to enforce.

Miles are already taxed when earned from an interest-bearing account. The reason that the IRS doesn't tax miles earned on travel paid for by your employer is not because they don't consider the miles to be your property, and it's not because they don't consider them to have value -- if this was the case, they would not be taxable when earned in an interest-bearing account.

It's because it would be a massive hassle, almost impossible to enforce, and, in the end, would not generate enough income to be worth their time. Basically it would require that people not commingle personal expenses and business expenses on the same CC, or it would require ridiculously complicated line-item accounting for reimbursed expenses (made even more complicated by promotions and sign-up bonuses -- if I sign up for a card that gives me a 50k mile bonus for spending $3000 in the first 3 months, and I spend $10k in the first 3 months, and $9k are reimbursable business expenses, how much of that 50k bonus is taxable? 100%? 90%? 50%?). The IRS does not generally expect that level of accounting from individuals.
ricohitman, MaxVO and OssianBlue like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:40 am

https://www.middleagemiles.com/2020/...to-executives/

I'm going to laugh my butt off when AA ends up screwing up and establishing a property right to miles.
Bridget Blaise-Shamai, President of the AAdvantage Program and Vice President of Customer Loyalty and Insights for AA is probably going to be spending more time on this issue than she ever expected.

Perhaps she is the one who will ask Citi why they were approving people for literally dozens of the same card and awarding sign up bonuses each time. .
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:44 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Let's not confuse what's taxable by the letter of the law with what the IRS actually bothers to enforce.

Miles are already taxed when earned from an interest-bearing account. The reason that the IRS doesn't tax miles earned on travel paid for by your employer is not because they don't consider the miles to be your property, and it's not because they don't consider them to have value -- if this was the case, they would not be taxable when earned in an interest-bearing account.

It's because it would be a massive hassle, almost impossible to enforce, and, in the end, would not generate enough income to be worth their time. Basically it would require that people not commingle personal expenses and business expenses on the same CC, or it would require ridiculously complicated line-item accounting for reimbursed expenses (made even more complicated by promotions and sign-up bonuses -- if I sign up for a card that gives me a 50k mile bonus for spending $3000 in the first 3 months, and I spend $10k in the first 3 months, and $9k are reimbursable business expenses, how much of that 50k bonus is taxable? 100%? 90%? 50%?). The IRS does not generally expect that level of accounting from individuals.
All wishful thinking if indeed the miles are one's property.

Don't think for a second that the IRS can't simply have AA assign a FMV to a mile based on some form of averaging and then report that via 1099. Not a remote hassle for the IRS, a one-time inconvenience for AA (or any other carrier which establishes its miles as the account holder's property), and a tax hit to business frequent fliers.

One can debate this all day long. But, for those who think that a determination that miles are property represents a major hit to AA at no cost to the consumer, there may be a very unpleasant surprise and there is nobody here who can definitively say otherwise (although they may convince themselves).
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... report that via 1099.
Report what? When I buy an airline ticket I receive air transportation -and- credit toward another trip. I paid for the miles. There is no taxable transaction.

If my employer buys an airline ticket, and I receive the miles, there could be a taxable transaction, but my employer would have to track this, not the airline.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Report what? When I buy an airline ticket I receive air transportation -and- credit toward another trip. I paid for the miles. There is no taxable transaction.

If my employer buys an airline ticket, and I receive the miles, there could be a taxable transaction, but my employer would have to track this, not the airline.
Not if the miles are awarded to you by the carrier. Your employer does not even know what was awarded.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:39 am

No longer relevant.

Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

What? No, AA is not going to 1099 everyone who gets miles.
I don't work there, so I don't know.

It's all OT except as to the simple fact that those who gleefully think that AA has made an admission which hurts AA, rather than one which may have consequences for consumers.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
Bridget Blaise-Shamai, President of the AAdvantage Program and Vice President of Customer Loyalty and Insights for AA is probably going to be spending more time on this issue than she ever expected.

Perhaps she is the one who will ask Citi why they were approving people for literally dozens of the same card and awarding sign up bonuses each time. .
https://milestomemories.com/aa-tells...-aa-shutdowns/

Barclays might also have a question for her. Apparently blogger "milestomemories" has posted that Barclays attempted to contact AA about the account closures and was told its an internal issue and it does not concern them. I dont see how that can be true when those who have been shutdown with Aviator cards are affected.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:12 am

No longer relevant.

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
And yet many posters asked if this wording excluded them from using an offer, to the point that an explanation was included in the Wikipost. I do not disagree with your understanding, but I do think there is ambiguity.
I don’t think it matters too much since this isn’t what AA is currently referencing in their DOT responses. Right now it seems pretty clear cut, AA claims T&Cs of the promo and application page were broken, those specific T&Cs weren’t present on either the promo or application.
OssianBlue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.