Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by DVDBob
So would it be worth closing a 2 year old biz card and opening a new one?
Is the possibility of losing your AA account worth 60k points?
Global321 and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Is the possibility of losing your AA account worth 60k points?
When I was a corporate slave a long time ago, and my employer had an AA contract and was the major source of my AA miles -- keeping that AA account was pretty important. Now that I pay my own way, losing one account with a single SUB in it is a trivial concern. The real risk is keeping large balances in any unprotected accounts.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not unless you go no signup bonus on that 2 year old biz card, or else not unless you plan to wait 2+ years before opening the new one. Because the current terms are:

Offer Availability

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.

So you have to wait presumably 4 years and several months since you opened your current card (since it was presumably several months after you opened it that you earned the signup bonus).

Before they scroll off at 2 years, go AA.com and make a record of exactly when your signup bonus miles from your current card posted, because without that info you won't know when you can apply again. (Thought since Citi is notorious for making timing mistakes, and denying you based on those timing mistakes, it's always better to "pad" time between applications with Citi, so probably 49 or 50 months is safer than 48.)
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:14 pm

It matters how many Citi SUB bonuses you have received in the last 24 months. If you weren't playing the Mailer/emailer game you will be fine.

Maybe look at the Barclay AA cards instead of Citi

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...ss-mastercard/

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/
Global321 and Adelphos like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by flyer4512
It matters how many Citi SUB bonuses you have received in the last 24 months. If you weren't playing the Mailer/emailer game you will be fine.

Maybe look at the Barclay AA cards instead of Citi

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...ss-mastercard/

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/bank...te-mastercard/
Agreed - there has been no evidence at all that anyone that did not get multiple bonuses for the same Citi AA card product had their account impacted.
Happy, flyer4512 and Global321 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:17 pm

Also the new AA business cards are 48 months since the last bonus so he's probably not even eligible, .............Barclay should be ok

Offer Availability

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:07 pm

Just thinking out loud, my AA was terminated but our player # 3 was not. P3 does not travel so we use his points/miles and currently have 5 AA flights booked.

I was thinking of creating a new AA account Only to manage my reservations. With all the flight changes and cancellations it's a pain to check on each reservation once a week.

I know AA says you can't have a AA account if terminated, I wouldn't earn miles I would just like to be able to have all of my reservations easily available.

Probably a dumb idea that would get my dads miles taken and /or me banned from AA.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA
Just out of curiosity, what’s stopping you from making a new account? The threat of getting banned isn’t exactly a deterrent if the alternative is having no account at all.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:46 pm

Just thinking out loud, my AA was terminated but our player # 3 was not. P3 does not travel so we use his points/miles and currently have 5 AA flights booked.

I was thinking of creating a new AA account Only to manage my reservations. With all the flight changes and cancellations it's a pain to check on each reservation once a week.

I know AA says you can't have a AA account if terminated, I wouldn't earn miles I would just like to be able to have all of my reservations easily available.

Probably a dumb idea that would get my dads miles taken and /or me banned from AA.
I’d avoid that, just to be on the safe side
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
Just out of curiosity, what’s stopping you from making a new account? The threat of getting banned isn’t exactly a deterrent if the alternative is having no account at all.

P3 has 350K AA miles and opened 4 Citi AA cards ( and one Barclay) in the 24 months prior to the AA shutdowns , he probably should have also been terminated.

If they see I opened a new AA account and look at where all the miles I am flying on came from maybe they take a closer look and his account is done.

Originally Posted by BaconSF
I’d avoid that, just to be on the safe side
You're right, it would be just being lazy as an AA account wouldn't bring me any status or early boarding, etc
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:58 pm

P3 has 350K AA miles and opened 4 Citi AA cards ( and one Barclay) in the 24 months prior to the AA shutdowns , he probably should have also been terminated.

If they see I opened a new AA account and look at where all the miles I am flying on came from maybe they take a closer look and his account is done...
I would not chance it.

Use the miles ASAP and if you get to fly, count your blessings.
flyer4512 likes this.

Last edited by Global321; Aug 21, 2020 at 5:04 pm Reason: missing bracket
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
I would not chance it.

Use the miles ASAP and if you get to fly, count your blessings.

I have been using his miles all through the shutdowns, no issues flying. If AA looks now he has opened 1 Citi card in the past 24 months so I think he's clear........

Actually his ~ 350K is now 234k miles
Global321 likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 21, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:50 pm

Today's mail from Citi brought multiple notices of account closures because my American Airlines AAdvantage membership has been cancelled. This is actually good news since it saves me the trouble of calling
rover4618 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Robl
Today's mail from Citi brought multiple notices of account closures because my American Airlines AAdvantage membership has been cancelled. This is actually good news since it saves me the trouble of calling
First I have heard of Citi canceling a credit card account because there is not an AA account associated with it.

You would think Citi would want the account to stay open... they don't have to pay miles.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
First I have heard of Citi canceling a credit card account because there is not an AA account associated with it.

You would think Citi would want the account to stay open... they don't have to pay miles.
maybe for legal implications as I’m sure they’re aware of the AA shutdown by now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.