Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I was using Prestige for my airfare/dining/hotels. I dropped CSR when the first renewal hit. I still have the Ritz card for getting insurance on award travel. Now I need to figure out if I can get an independent travel insurance plan to replace the benefits lost from citi prestige.

I spend about $10 -15k on flights every year with around 5-7k on dining. So I'm getting ~40k extra points by using Prestige over CSR. If I can get travel insurance for a lower amount then it still makes sense to stick with Prestige. Esp. if I can get a retention offer.
With about $25,000 in annual dining spend and $5,000 in flight spend, Citi Prestige would theoretically be an ideal card for me even taking into account the weaker protections. But the Amex Platinum + Gold have those categories covered (along with grocery, which none of the Citi cards give a bonus for), and they now have superior travel and warrenty benefits. Plus, the net fees for the cards are below zero when considering Uber and dining credits, airline credits and SkyClub access; 1x more on dining doesn't move the needle enough without all the trip protection

For non-airfare travel ($5,000+ on Uber annually for me), Chase Sapphire Reserve remains unbeatable - the Citi Premier would theoretically be a good card for this, and the Reserve costs $55 more after taking to account the travel credit, but adding the no-fee Freedom Unlimited and Freedm to Reserve make it superior all around to the Premier
mintcilantro likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Try booking car rentals through a travel agency, prepaid, and see if you get 5x that way. They hardly seem to mention it - certainly deliberately - but 5x via Expedia/Orbitz etc. could be useful too.

But don't get me wrong - I'm irate about these changes too.

I upgraded my banking package with US Bank today, over the phone. They're not awesome either, and don't have the the global footprint, but I can start using them a little more too.
I have 5 US Bank cards, and I'm actively using Altitude Reserve, which is one of my favorite cards, but their banking products are nothing special. Citi on the other hand announced that they will pay for subscription services up to $200 per year, which will pay for my Amazon Prime and Costco memberships. They also give me discount on Prestige and around 2000 TYP per month from banking accounts.
Also, I can't leave Citi, cause I have a few TYP powerhouses, such as AT&T AM and Sears, which give me a bunch of points. Prestige was also giving a bunch of points recently with restaurants. I don;t usually buy flights on cash, so it's not that important to me, and the only OTA I usually use is hotels.com, but there I pay with GCs, and was using Priceline, but not recenly, with Priceline card, which also give 5x, will try using Prestige there next time. I'm not sure if I'll keep Prestige after the next AF, but if they will continue to charge me $350 AF, I will definitely keep it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Adelphos
With about $25,000 in annual dining spend and $5,000 in flight spend, Citi Prestige would theoretically be an ideal card for me even taking into account the weaker protections. But the Amex Platinum + Gold have those categories covered (along with grocery, which none of the Citi cards give a bonus for), and they now have superior travel and warrenty benefits. Plus, the net fees for the cards are below zero when considering Uber and dining credits, airline credits and SkyClub access; 1x more on dining doesn't move the needle enough without all the trip protection

For non-airfare travel ($5,000+ on Uber annually for me), Chase Sapphire Reserve remains unbeatable - the Citi Premier would theoretically be a good card for this, and the Reserve costs $55 more after taking to account the travel credit, but adding the no-fee Freedom Unlimited and Freedm to Reserve make it superior all around to the Premier
Chase combo is pretty good - I have CSR, 6 Freedoms, 3 Inks Cash. But Citi combo is not bad either. I have Prestige, Premier, 2 Rewards+, 2 Preferred, AT&T AM and Sears.
I mostly use Freedoms (MS), Ink Cash (MS), Prestige - restaurants, Premier - gas, AT&T AM - for online and Plastiq, Sears and Preferred for offers, rewards+ for 10% points back.
On the Amex side I have 2 Platinums (business, personal, and planning to cancel both), Gold - groceries, BBP - for whatever I can't use Altitude Reserve (in person) or AT&T AM (online)
mintcilantro and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Yikes--yes, I think I confused the cards. My mistake--we are getting the card with Priority Pass (which will help in some of our destinations).
Thanks for correcting my mistake!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Talking

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I thought that was a feature already existed... You can use TY points to pay your bills too if you have a checking account.
Yes, it was possible to use TY points to pay your bills etc but that was thru statement credit. This is a "new" feature that would allow you to apply points from the app right after you do the purchase. Note i put the "new" in quotes. It just improves the speed at which you can use TY points for sub-standard redemption
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by arshi007
Yes, it was possible to use TY points to pay your bills etc but that was thru statement credit. This is a "new" feature that would allow you to apply points from the app right after you do the purchase. Note i put the "new" in quotes. It just improves the speed at which you can use TY points for sub-standard redemption
Through the checking account, you were able to do it through online bill pay. I agree, though, it's a sub-standard redemption method.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Through the checking account, you were able to do it through online bill pay. I agree, though, it's a sub-standard redemption method.
On some charges (utility, phone, etc), it was possible to get 1cpp for paying for charges.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Adelphos

Minor point, but the Rewards+ does have double TYP on grocery (up to $6K per year).

I agree a "Chase Trifecta" with CSR + Freedom + Freedom Unlimited is the best all around. Combining the Premier with the no fee AT&T Access card (2x for online purchases) and Rewards+ (mainly for the 10% back in redemptions per year) is still a reasonable suite of cards as well, for me at least.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Personal 3 card combo that I think is best for me:

Blue Business Plus + Gold + Altitude Reserve

For $105 net in annual fees you’re getting

2x MR everyday spend, 4x MR dining and groceries, 4.5% cb travel and mobile wallet.

Plus (an albeit limited) Priority Pass, Gogo WiFi, TSA refunded, primary auto insurance, trip delay and cancellation coverage.

mintcilantro, yugi and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think the bigger hit for me was eliminating the 10% rebate on AA miles redemption. This move however sort of iced the deal as I have a few too many cards open right now anyway, so made the decision easy. The retention rep didn't give up without a fight though lol, but in the end, she really had nothing to offer to keep me around. So buh bye Citi Platinum Select.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by jags86
Personal 3 card combo that I think is best for me:

Blue Business Plus + Gold + Altitude Reserve

For $105 net in annual fees you’re getting

2x MR everyday spend, 4x MR dining and groceries, 4.5% cb travel and mobile wallet.

Plus (an albeit limited) Priority Pass, Gogo WiFi, TSA refunded, primary auto insurance, trip delay and cancellation coverage.

wait, you get primary auto insurance with the altitude reserve? How easy is it to cash out the travel credits? The amex credits are a pain compared to CSR and Prestige.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... altitude reserve? ....
Discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...erve-card.html
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:19 pm

wait, you get primary auto insurance with the altitude reserve? How easy is it to cash out the travel credits? The amex credits are a pain compared to CSR and Prestige.
Yes you get primary CDW.

The $325 travel acts the same as the CSR’s $300 travel credit except that you also earn rewards on those $325 of purchases and redeeming your points is as easy as replying “REDEEM” to the text message you receive after making an eligible purchase.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jags86

Yes you get primary CDW.

The $325 travel acts the same as the CSR’s $300 travel credit except that you also earn rewards on those $325 of purchases and redeeming your points is as easy as replying “REDEEM” to the text message you receive after making an eligible purchase.
True, but although the $325 in travel credits get applied to travel purchases of any amount, the points you earn from purchases require a minimum charge of $250 to redeem for a car rental, and a minimum of $500 to redeem for a hotel/motel stay.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
True, but although the $325 in travel credits get applied to travel purchases of any amount, the points you earn from purchases require a minimum charge of $250 to redeem for a car rental, and a minimum of $500 to redeem for a hotel/motel stay.
We all know that those terms are a technicality and the reality is that you can redeem your points for cash at $0.015 each if you’re willing to do 1 or 2 additional steps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.