Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold

Anyone hear anything about this? I just went to citipricerewind.com and got the following banner. Basically, it says Citi Price Rewind will be discontinued effective September 22, 2019. If true, a significant loss of value for my Citi Prestige card.

fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
For Citi Prestige:

Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Medical Evacuation, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, and Missed Event Ticket Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service and Travel & Emergency Assistance will be discontinued and will not be available on or after September 22, 2019.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:17 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, this is even bigger than just Price Rewind going away. I'm seeing that pop-up on my account for both my Citi cards (Prestige and AA Exec card). So this basically means I won't be using my Prestige card for airfare anymore. So much for their recent change to 5x points on airfare.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:46 am

What the heck is going on with Citi. They might as well exit the premium credit card business entirely.
seawolf, GTITAN, HawaiiO and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:02 am

It's worse for the free cards. The pop-up for my Dividend card said the extended warranty benefit is being discontinued. That takes away a great combination of 5% at Best Buy and two years extra warranty. The Costco card is unchanged but you give up the extra rebate.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
FAQ about these changes is here:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/faq.aspx
jpdx likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:09 am

The relevant questions for me:

- Till when can we downgrade Prestige and get AF back?

- Does downgrading still keep benefits like Extended warranty?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:29 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I shall be moving all my spend to chase
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Similar message for Citi Advantage Platinum Select:

Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Citi® Price Rewind, and 90 Day Return Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date
No mention of the extended warranty, thankfully.
hightide likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not quite as much damage to the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa (likely due to contractual restrictions with Costco) but the price rewind cut still hurts:

Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.
Much more damage on the Citi Double Cash:

Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection, and Extended Warranty will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
The relevant questions for me:

- Till when can we downgrade Prestige and get AF back?

- Does downgrading still keep benefits like Extended warranty?
According to the FAQ, a pro-rated refund of the AF is available through 1/1/20.
flyershmlyer likes this.

Last edited by sonetsst; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:57 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
I shall be moving all my spend to chase
Citi is probably hoping Chase follows them in cutting card benefits. But unless and until the other card issuers follow Citi, I too would suggest considering moving spend to other cards/card-issuers.

I still have a substantial chunk of TYP flight points left to match the card point earnings, so I can’t entirely eliminate use of the Citi credit cards.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:11 am

They're essentially cutting every travel benefit...on a travel card????

WOW.

I was already on the line with Prestige with the price increase + 4th night nerf, but now there's zero reason to keep it. Trip protection + bag protection is why I used Prestige above any airline branded card.

I have no idea what card to switch to?

And now I need to spend all my point.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:26 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Citi is probably hoping Chase follows them in cutting card benefits. But unless and until the other card issuers follow Citi, I too would suggest considering moving spend to other cards/card-issuers.
What's interesting is that when the Apple Card was announced (which, as we know, will also be running on Mastercard's network), it seemed unprecedented that there was no mention of it including any insurance or other protection benefits for purchases. Suddenly just a few months later, that's not that different from most of the Citi no AF cards.

Also of note... I received a notice recently that as of October 1, 2019, Travel Accident Insurance is also being removed from my BofA Cash Rewards Mastercard.

I have to wonder whether this is a Mastercard thing or an Issuer thing?
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:45 am

Citi stripping card benefits as of 9/22/19

Logged into the Citi Card Benefits website today and got the following pop-up message on my Prestige account:

The following is a summary of changes that are being made to your card benefits.

Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Medical Evacuation, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, and Missed Event Ticket Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service and Travel & Emergency Assistance will be discontinued and will not be available on or after September 22, 2019.

We are making these changes so that we can continue providing the key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additional cost. This change requires no action on your part. See FAQs under Card Benefits for answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding these changes.
The same benefits (to the extent they existed) appear to be going away on all my Citi cards.

Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.