Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
This hurts tremendously. The Citi Double Cash became my primary spending card because of the return protection, damage + theft protection, and extended warranty coverage (which was unbeatable even compared to Amex - for instance, the citi extended warranty benefit went up to 7 years total coverage when adding 24 months, and did not require an extended service plan to be furnished by the original manufacturer to stack with it). Reminiscent of Discover.

I understand why issuers killed the price rewind - services like Earny made it too easy to capitalize on - but I'll be moving a lot of my spend off Citi's products as a result of this change.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by o2bmmw
I, like one of the other posters, have just made several large purchases with the Citi Prestige card for (1) extended warranty and (2) price rewind. On one item alone I got the max $200 on the price rewind. However, I am worried about keeping the extended warranty which I would need for several more years on a home appliance.

I would suggest anyone needing the extended warranty for any period of time download the pdf copy of the benefit guide and keep it for this purpose.

I may downgrade to the Premier when my renewal comes around, I am not sure yet, but with the diminution of the 4th night free benefit (which was a huge benefit to me), price rewind (another big benefit), and the coverages, some of which I DID use, there's no point in keeping this card.
They will request copies of your statement as well with the charged item on it.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Key difference between my cards...

Citi Double Cash:
Originally Posted by Citi
Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection, and Extended Warranty will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.
Versus the Costco Visa:
Originally Posted by Citi
Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.
So it looks like elimination of the extended warranty and damage & theft protection is not 100% across the board, at least for the time being (dunno if it's to prevent Costco from jumping ship to another issuer or if they have a contractually established obligation to maintain certain card benefits for a certain period of time...)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:07 pm

This sucks. I've had the Prestige since 2014 with a $350 AF and have always been able to get my money's worth between the 4th night free benefit, travel credit, and lounge access. I am definitely not paying $495 for this, however, I still have about 150K citi points. Can I just product change to the Citi Premier? You can still transfer points to airlines with the Premier, right? Or I'm thinking the better strategy would be to open the Premier for the bonus and then outright cancel the Prestige. I'm assuming you can have both at once but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:10 pm

I believe the extended warranty is a Mastercard benefit and not a Citi benefit, while most of the others are Citi specific benefits outsourced to Virginia Surety.

I know I've made heavy use of Price Rewind and occasional use of Trip Delay, Return Protection, and Extended Warranty. I already moved my travel spending to Chase, but had kept my "stuff" spending on Citi for the Price Rewind + Return Protection + 2 year extended warranty trifecta. Now I'll have to reevaluate that...

What is everyone's go-to card for "stuff"? I still have 2 year warranty on a couple of Citi cards, but am not sure the extra year is going to be enough to keep me on Citi...
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
This is an astounding move. Citi better replace it quick - or their cards just went from being some of the best for insurance to the worst.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Versus the Costco Visa:
I appreciate you sharing the differences. But man if there was any benefit I would have rather Costco insisted on it was trip insurance over price rewind. I've thankfully never needed trip insurance, but man that is a big safety net being lost. Way more than the occasional $10 I get on purchases with price rewind.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by D_C_B
This sucks. I've had the Prestige since 2014 with a $350 AF and have always been able to get my money's worth between the 4th night free benefit, travel credit, and lounge access. I am definitely not paying $495 for this, however, I still have about 150K citi points. Can I just product change to the Citi Premier? You can still transfer points to airlines with the Premier, right? Or I'm thinking the better strategy would be to open the Premier for the bonus and then outright cancel the Prestige. I'm assuming you can have both at once but correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, you can have both. If you open the Premier, consider product changing the Prestige to Rewards+. Then you would get 10% of transferred points back (up to 10K per year), if you merge your TYP accounts. Alternatively, you could change the Prestige to the AT&T access card (no fee), another TYP card. That gets 2x points on online purchases. Looking at my AT&T access account, it did not lose the extended warranty (yet). Since I usually buy electronics online, the AT&T card has been my go-to card, since it gets 2x points plus extended warranty protection.
ithinkurdumb and D_C_B like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Biscoff27
Yes, you can have both. If you open the Premier, consider product changing the Prestige to Rewards+. Then you would get 10% of transferred points back (up to 10K per year), if you merge your TYP accounts. Alternatively, you could change the Prestige to the AT&T access card (no fee), another TYP card. That gets 2x points on online purchases. Looking at my AT&T access account, it did not lose the extended warranty (yet). Since I usually buy electronics online, the AT&T card has been my go-to card, since it gets 2x points plus extended warranty protection.
You would have to keep the Premier open for a year first before you can PC to another card, which is the only downfall.

If someone wants to use their points quickly and drop Citi, there's no point in PC'ing to anything.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You would have to keep the Premier open for a year first before you can PC to another card, which is the only downfall.

If someone wants to use their points quickly and drop Citi, there's no point in PC'ing to anything.
I was responding to D_C_B, who has had the Prestige since 2014 and was considering opening the Premier for the bonus and getting rid of the Prestige, given all the recent devaluations. In that situation, the Prestige could be product changed.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:38 pm

I have Prestige, Premier and AAdvantage (lowly Platinum select). Will any have car rental insurance or trip insurance left?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:40 pm

well that settles that pretty easily. I had been on the fence about whether to keep the prestige now that I have a CSR, and based on these changes, I no longer see any reason to. it's not like I'll be putting airline spend on the car or taking advantage of the $250 travel reimbursement if I have to forgo trip insurance to get it.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:55 pm

Taking away the CDW coverage is odd - who rents a car (who knows what they are doing) using a card that doesn't have CDW coverage? All premium cards have it, as do some non-premium cards. Perhaps this is a trail balloon to see if other card companies will follow?
milypan, GTITAN and fotoflyer88 like this.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jun 24, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Wow. What a .... change to the Prestige card - now only going to keep it for airfare purchases and move everything else to my BOA cards.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:59 pm

This makes me sad since the Prestige was starting to be my "Go-To" card for everything but it will shift my wallet once the AF comes up. If the AF increases like it is expected, then it's not worth it anymore and I will PC to Premier to keep my point bank and move my dining to Amex Gold / Travel to CIP / Big Ticket Items to Amex Plat.

If the AF stays at $350, then it's still worth it to stay at a net $100 AF just for the 5x dining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.