Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not happy that Citi is removing all of these protections, but I also have to say, I've never used a single one of them.

Granted, that's often the nature of insurance, but I'm pretty likely to just selectively move my charges to different cards (mostly Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve).

I don't really need any of these protections if I'm eating at a restaurant getting my 5x or getting a haircut with my DoubleCash. I'd guess they'll lose less than 5% of my charges here.

Now, for those who want to use only one card always and everywhere, I see that this is a different calculation.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Prestige still worth it for 4th night free (even if only twice a year), $250 airfare credit, and 5x dining purchases. All other travel goes on the Sapphire Reserve.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Curiously this change makes the MileUp card one of their best cards in terms of value. No annual fee, 2x AA miles on groceries and Extended Warranty. Not even DC has Extended Warranty anymore.In addition, the base AA Platinum Card offers free bags, which can justify the $95 annual fee for occasional AA fliers - also earns 2x AA miles on dining. I have and will keep both cards. And the AA Executive Card still provides lounge access. None of the other cards (except maybe Costco, which I am not familiar with) provide any unique value. A lot of these banks seem to be prioritizing their cobrand cards and not much else. Will complete the minimum spend on my brand new Premier and sock drawer it (and convert it to Citi Dividend eventually). No interest in maintaining a fourth transferrable currency with me too products.
transparent likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm not happy that Citi is removing all of these protections, but I also have to say, I've never used a single one of them.
I agree with you. Many of the generous offerings/insurance on the Citi Prestige didn't even exist on any card until a few years ago and now everyone is acting like it's impossible to live without these protections. Odd.

My wife and I stay at high end luxury hotels at least a few times a year. The 4th night free, even at twice a year, will easily yield significant savings.

We'll see where things go, but this alone would not cause us to cancel a card that has an effective annual fee of $245 but has often saved us upwards of $400-$500 per 4th night free bookings.

Regards
fly046 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Prestige still worth it for 4th night free (even if only twice a year), $250 airfare credit, and 5x dining purchases. All other travel goes on the Sapphire Reserve.
If they didn't remove the agency bookings to use loyalty perks, this would still be great.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I think the one that will hit many people the hardest (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the more used of the benefits being eliminated) is the travel delay insurance.

Personally, over the past four years, I've filed one travel delay claim (with either Citi or Chase) in three of those four years, each time involving an overnight delay. The claims have ranged from just around $100 to around $900 (the latter due to a snowstorm and being stranded for three days due to flight cancellations).

With congested airspace around many cities now and seemingly more unpredictable weather, and airlines operating with high load factors, it seems more and more common for people to be affected by a flight cancellation that leads to a significant delay before they are re-accommodated.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Called up and told them that I will leave after the benefits are removed, but understand they made a business decision that they do not want the travel and leisure market.

For me back to the Platinum Card (especially for air fare--5X and baggage protection) and Chase Sapphire for most other travel (and Hilton Aspire at a Hilton hotel). The representative did mention the $300 travel credit and the new cell phone protection, but I said that would not be enough to keep the card. He also mentioned the fourth night free. I had not used it much before, and am using it a couple of times this year, but as I told him I doubt I would spend four nights at a hotel that I was not elite in, and with the new booking scheme, I would not get my elite benefits. Accordingly, the fourth night free will be meaningless. 5X restaurants is nice, but not enough to keep the card.

Also, the Prestige card used to have some exclusive events (similar to By Invitation Only), but they do not seem to have them anymore and there were some really nice events.

I very rarely give up a card, but it looks likely this will be the case.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I have the Citi AA MC Ex Card ,and it took the same hit as Prestige. I won't cancel since I leverage the authorized user portion of the equation for family for AA AC membership but am very likely going to move my spend over to my Amex. I called Citi to complain about the benefit reduction and it gave me 2500 miles. I get removing price rewind, but I doubt in the ever crowded luxury card market that this is going to get Chase, AMEX, etc to move the needle down. Then again I don't have the metric analysis.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This sucks. I've gotten thousands back on cancellation of multiple trips.

What are the best cards now with trip cancellation protection?

I'd also be curious if there are big retention offers right now or are they letting everyone jump ship
355F1 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
I have the Platinum AAdvantage card, which I’d already planned to cancel (and keep the Barclays version for the free bags and earlier boarding since I usually don’t fly one airline enough to get and keep status). No change to my plans there. I have the Premium card, and had intended to get the Prestige card when I became eligible for anothe bonus. I had actually considered that the Premium/Prestige pair might replace my CSR, but that seems less likely now.

I am baffled by their choice canceling rental car coverage, unless they are assuming that other card issuers will cancel as well in a race to the bottom. Oddly, although I’m only a light-frequency flyer compared to most here (about six domestic trips and one or two international trips/year for about twenty years), I haven’t had a delay/cancellation that was long enough to be eligible for credit card coverage in At least fifteen years—And back then if such coverage existed I didn’t know about it and didn’t have it. So the elimination of the delay coverage doesn’t bother me much. The big issues for me (besides loss of rental car coverage) are the cancellation of the superior extended warranty, and of Price Rewind. I used a Citi card for all my camera and electronics purchases, which I had quite a few of, because of that coverage. The extended warranty was a comfort, and I probably pulled in $400/year off of Price Rewind (part of why I understand them canceling it).
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:32 pm

What's the point of the annual fee at this point on the prestige card? After the $495 fee - $250 travel credit you end up paying $245 for two free hotel nights assuming you book two 4 night hotel stays through their reservation system and decent point earnings. Am I missing something? Is that really worth $250?

The Chase Sapphire Reserve you pay an effective $150 for slightly less point earnings on hotels and flights, but gain travel protection and a ton of other benefits. Plus the ability to cash the points out for travel at 1.5 cents per point.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
What's the point of the annual fee at this point on the prestige card? After the $495 fee - $250 travel credit you end up paying $245 for two free hotel nights assuming you book two 4 night hotel stays through their reservation system and decent point earnings. Am I missing something? Is that really worth $250?<snip>
This might be hard to believe, but not every traveler is on the hamster wheel of obsessively trying to re-qualify for Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton loyalty status in order to get "free" breakfast. So for those that stay at higher end or boutique properties (think Four Seasons/St Regis/Ritz Carlton, etc.) the savings for a 4th night free can be pretty substantial. As I mentioned in my post, we tend to save ~$400-500 per stay, multiple times per year. That's average. We did save ~$700 for a 4th night free on one ocassion.

So the answer is yes, it can absolutely be worth it but you have to do your own math. But don't assume that your math is everyone's math.

Is it going to be as generous going forward as it used to be? Nope, but that seems to be the trend in travel over all. But at this point, Citi is still paying me to carry the card.

Regards
milypan likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Citi Prestige still offers Priority Pass that includes restaurants in some airports where you can have up to 2 guests and lounge access in others. The value of this benefit depends on your itinerary and travel habits; regularly needing to use a lounge or eat in the terminal. Alternatively, Chase Sapphire Reserve offers Priority Pass as well. Amex Platinum will soon drop the restaurant option from Priority Pass so not as enticing.
fotoflyer88 likes this.

Last edited by edsh; Jun 24, 2019 at 7:29 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:01 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
As for the trip protections, I think this is what happens when you have to many card holders flying on AA. On a more serious note, I have the exec card and really can't understand why they would strip all travel protections from a travel card.

The interesting thing will be to see if any of the other major card players follow suit after receiving this "signal" from Citi or just leave them to hang in the wind.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have two Citi cards (Premier and a legacy Gold AA card). I have not used these benefits simply because I haven’t really directed a ton of eligible spend to these cards, so technically I am not losing anything. That said, I am concerned about other card issuers following this example. And yes, I would rather not have to use travel insurance... and have been pretty lucky so far.

The Premier card was already going on the chopping block when the annual fee shows up in July. The Gold AA will be downgraded to a MileUp card and sock-drawered next year unless Citi waives the AF. I just don’t fly AA enough (and with checked bags) to justify its existence.

I wonder how many people will not pay attention to this change, rent a car and decline CDW as usual and then end up with a nasty surprise.
fotoflyer88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.