Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... yea, no. Chase hasn't "taken advantage" from Amex cutting Priority Pass restaurant benefits. Chase did absolutely nothing. They had a benefit on offer and they haven't changed it years. Amex made an announcement but Chase didn't take any action whatsoever, and in fact their public statement was pretty non-committal; basically saying there were no changes to the program to share "at this time." That hardly qualifies as "taking the advantage" at Amex's expense.

I find it a little humorous that so many are talking about running into the arms of Chase Sapphire Reserve (full disclosure, I carry that card too) at this point. Over the last couple years, both on FT, and on the "usual suspect" travel blogs, many were asserting, quite vocally, that Chase had to "reinvigorate" the CSR and that they were "falling behind" Amex and Citi. Basically, Chase introduced the CSR several years ago and effectively have left it completely unchanged. People were saying it's time had past, and yet now, with no changes whatsoever, people are ready to go running back into their arms. Perhaps Chase has a better understanding for what the premium card market can bear than people have given them credit for...
Chase and American Express are currently eating Citi's lunch and have been for quite some time.

I'm surprised the Prestige still exists to this day. I thought it would be permanently gone last year when they shelved it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Citi drop the card entirely in the near future.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Chase and American Express are currently eating Citi's lunch and have been for quite some time.<snip>.
Oh, you'll get absolutely no argument from me on that front! Agree completely. Citi is the relationship that we care the least about, without question. As I've mentioned, I'll keep it now for the 4th night free, as long as it remains in my favor, and we use the TYPs from that to just purchase airline tickets, but at the point the math is no longer in my favor, then it will absolutely be "buh bye..."

I'm just saying that the canceling of benefits that most people have willingly acknowledged that they have never even used is not going to be the thing that pushes more over the ledge.

But you stated absolutely nothing that I would disagree with you on.

Regards
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Although I currently put nearly all of my flight spend on AMEX Plat, it is quite disturbing that Citi is removing what seem to be base insurance benefits to so many cards. When one wants a credit card as a long term keeper, there has to be consistency in benefits and trust. I still like the ThankYou points program, however I no longer feel that I can trust what benefits will exist long-term. The primary benefits to me for the Citi Premier card are the Entertainment bonus category and the ThankYou airline transfer partners. Because of deteriorating trust, I might consider canceling my Citi Premier card before renewal time next year. I may consider the Capital One Savor card for the entertainment bonus category spend.
notquiteaff and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
DH just called Citicard to voice his displeasure.
The phone rep was well-prepared and had scripted responses. They are inundated with calls.
The phone rep told DH that "95% of customers don't even know about the travel protection benefits, so nobody will notice."

We have used the trip cancellation and trip interruption several times and it is an important part of our travel planning.
I fail to see how anyone at Citi would have any quantifiable data as to how many people are utilizing the card for the travel protection benefits, but I would suspect it is more than 5% of card holders. Maybe I'm mistaken.
In our case---our $30-40K leisure travel spend will transition to Chase Sapphire Preferred so that we have coverage. The balance of our annual spend will be transitioned to other cards.

We will purchase Admirals' Club with $ or miles going forward and will cancel the Citi card--they are quite replaceable at $450/year for a travel card with no travel benefits.
I might have to give them a call too. Isn't the point to NOT use the travel insurance if you don't need it. It's not for lack of knowing about it. But I do choose which cards to use for travel knowing I have coverage and don't need to purchase additional insurance, there was value in that.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by scubadu
Oh, you'll get absolutely no argument from me on that front! Agree completely. Citi is the relationship that we care the least about, without question. As I've mentioned, I'll keep it now for the 4th night free, as long as it remains in my favor, and we use the TYPs from that to just purchase airline tickets, but at the point the math is no longer in my favor, then it will absolutely be "buh bye..."

I'm just saying that the canceling of benefits that most people have willingly acknowledged that they have never even used is not going to be the thing that pushes more over the ledge.

But you stated absolutely nothing that I would disagree with you on.

Regards
It will definitely push more card customers over the ledge away from Citi. It’s only a question of how many jump away from Citi. Not that Citi would really care all that much when they want to prime themselves in advance of a substantial increase in non-performing assets (as the consequences of a trade war will start to come to hit in its backyard) and the benefits they are cutting from these cards are more likely to hit it more and more as the default rate on credit card debt rises.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by phant0m
This makes me sad since the Prestige was starting to be my "Go-To" card for everything but it will shift my wallet once the AF comes up. If the AF increases like it is expected, then it's not worth it anymore and I will PC to Premier to keep my point bank and move my dining to Amex Gold / Travel to CIP / Big Ticket Items to Amex Plat.

If the AF stays at $350, then it's still worth it to stay at a net $100 AF just for the 5x dining.
Mine too. It went from being sockdrawered to daily driver for restaurants and airfare. The rest of travel goes to CSR.
I didn't use any single benefit from this card, except price rewind few times. I didn't use this card to book car rentals, first because it doesn't provide primary CDW in the US, second because it's awards only 1 point for car rentals, so not a big deal for me.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by baroqen

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but it seems that the Capital One Venture Card + Hotels.com bonus combo might provide better overall value. 10x Capital One points plus the 10% back from the hotels.com rewards program mean that your total value will be a minimum of "20% back" that doesnt require a 4 night stay to optimize. Unfortunately, this also can't be stacked and I haven't researched it extensively, so there may be different drawbacks.

I'll probably stick with my Prestige till the end of the year to make a final decision.
The Capital One Venture hotels.com deal is easy and flexible. You get 10 points per $ of spend, and the equivalent of another 10% on the amount before taxes and fees through the free night program.

Only down side is that the Capital One program is only in effect through January 2020.

It's even available on the Capital One Venture One card, which is a no-fee card.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jun 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david22
Does Aman even show up on the thankyou.com portal that we soon have to use for the 4NF benefit? :-/
It was bookable via the 4th night free benefit at one point, but that may have been before the benefit was usable on the website.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by yugi
Mine too. It went from being sockdrawered to daily driver for restaurants and airfare. The rest of travel goes to CSR.
I didn't use any single benefit from this card, except price rewind few times. I didn't use this card to book car rentals, first because it doesn't provide primary CDW in the US, second because it's awards only 1 point for car rentals, so not a big deal for me.
Try booking car rentals through a travel agency, prepaid, and see if you get 5x that way. They hardly seem to mention it - certainly deliberately - but 5x via Expedia/Orbitz etc. could be useful too.

But don't get me wrong - I'm irate about these changes too.

I upgraded my banking package with US Bank today, over the phone. They're not awesome either, and don't have the the global footprint, but I can start using them a little more too.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Try booking car rentals through a travel agency, prepaid, and see if you get 5x that way. They hardly seem to mention it - certainly deliberately - but 5x via Expedia/Orbitz etc. could be useful too.

But don't get me wrong - I'm irate about these changes too.

I upgraded my banking package with US Bank today, over the phone. They're not awesome either, and don't have the the global footprint, but I can start using them a little more too.
But then what will you do for car rental insurance if you are using the Citi card for 5x points? (After Sept)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:30 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have the exec card which is a world elite mastercard. I was looking on line and saw that mastercard added cell phone protection to cards with this label yet I don't see anything that says it specifically applies to the exec card. What I read says that as of July 1 if you pay your cell phone bill you are eligible for the coverage. Possibly the wrong thread but it may be a small reason to keep the card.

Last edited by abk; Jun 26, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by abk
I have the exec card which is a world elite mastercard. I was looking on line and saw that mastercard added cell phone protection to cards with this label yet I don't see anything that says it specifically applies to the exec card. What I read says that as of July 21 if you pay your cell phone bill you are eligible for the coverage. Possibly the wrong thread but it may be a small reason to keep the card.
They added it to the prestige card, I wonder if they will chop it.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
I just saw in the news (bloomberg etc) that citi announced today that they are adding a "pay with points" benefit where card holders can redeem TY points for 0.8 c for purchases instantly. really ????? they are calling that an added benefit and that too on the heals of removing all the other travel benefits.

I have an AmEx Plat and Citi Prestige and i used to use the Prestige for airfare mainly for the travel insurance. I only had to use it once in the past 4 years but that's what it is supposed to be. I had a flight cancelled due to weather and it cost me around 400 dollars for a hotel and other expenses. The travel insurance paid for it. So yes, i would say that benefit was very important to me and now that its gone, i'm going to use Plat for airfare and Gold for dining (at 4x). So time to move out of the TY currency.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by arshi007
I just saw in the news (bloomberg etc) that citi announced today that they are adding a "pay with points" benefit where card holders can redeem TY points for 0.8 c for purchases instantly. really ????? they are calling that an added benefit and that too on the heals of removing all the other travel benefits....
I thought that was a feature already existed... You can use TY points to pay your bills too if you have a checking account.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I was using Prestige for my airfare/dining/hotels. I dropped CSR when the first renewal hit. I still have the Ritz card for getting insurance on award travel. Now I need to figure out if I can get an independent travel insurance plan to replace the benefits lost from citi prestige.

I spend about $10 -15k on flights every year with around 5-7k on dining. So I'm getting ~40k extra points by using Prestige over CSR. If I can get travel insurance for a lower amount then it still makes sense to stick with Prestige. Esp. if I can get a retention offer.
mia, Adelphos and akr1970akr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.