FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers-2019-2020-a.html)

SeeBuyFly Jan 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 30655696)
Last week I applied for a Citi AA card. The app went pending. "We'll be in touch soon." Today I got a phone call from a person who identified himself as a CitiBank employee and right off the bat asked me to state my birth date. Mindful that this call could be a request for more information about my app-- or could be phishing (fraud)-- I stated that I'd need more detail regarding the purpose of the call before answering. The rep refused to state anything beyond "Recent inquiry on your account" until I divulged PII. I told him I feared this call was fraud and hung up.

Question: Does Citi make a practice of calling to review apps? I tried the link for "Check status" online, and it provided no new info. Though, curiously, it did state they'd follow up with me "via mail or email", not phone.

YES, Citi is currently making a practice of calling to review pending apps. I'm sorry it's not in the wiki, but it's nothing new.

xu6652030 Jan 14, 2019 11:12 pm

I churned a lot citi aa plat. Today my family most of citi cards got closed. My wife has 8 cards include citi Costco. Only two citi aa alive. My mother has 8 citi aa. Same as my wife. Only two cards alive. I got close 3 citi aa accounts, still alive 5 citi aa and citi dividend.

walterj Jan 15, 2019 8:50 am

I applied in November, and received the 7-10 day screen. I waited and after ten days nothing, so I called. They told they had just mailed me a letter that same day and I would have to wait. Six days later I got the letter with the four digit code. I called and was approved, 16 days after the application. I just applied again this month using an expired in november offer 60K for 3k spend, I got the 7-10 day screen, I waited two days and called. They told me I would have to wait for an email, phone call or letter. Five days later I received the letter with the 4 digit code. I called and was approved, seven days after the application.

bobert24 Jan 15, 2019 11:49 am

Last week I applied for a Citi AA card. The app went pending. "We'll be in touch soon." Today I got a phone call from a person who identified himself as a CitiBank employee and right off the bat asked me to state my birth date. Mindful that this call could be a request for more information about my app-- or could be phishing (fraud)-- I stated that I'd need more detail regarding the purpose of the call before answering. The rep refused to state anything beyond "Recent inquiry on your account" until I divulged PII. I told him I feared this call was fraud and hung up.

Question: Does Citi make a practice of calling to review apps? I tried the link for "Check status" online, and it provided no new info. Though, curiously, it did state they'd follow up with me "via mail or email", not phone.

Unfortunately this isn't uncommon if you've been churning and get the 7-10 day message, and don't call them. Call one of the contact phone numbers in the wiki (such as (800) 695-5171). They'll get it processed for you quickly. They've pretty much stopped approving cards for frequent appliers without a phone call, so we don't even wait anymore - we generally call the same day we apply.

walterj Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30657778)
The wireless operators have sold this service. Citi can verify that your name is associated with a specific wireless phone account. The text PIN shows that the person calling about the application has access to that wireless phone account. Citi can also see that the wireless phone account is associated with a cluster of other accounts in the same name. The larger the cluster, the higher the confidence that it is the same person.

This is not "proof" of identity, in the sense of 100% certainty, and it does not "eliminate" the risk of fraud, but it reduces the risk because it is It is evidence that the applicant is real.

Probably like others on this forum, I've had my card blocked by fraud control at inconvenient times. Last summer we had a three week trip Downunder en route to Cairns and Kakadu, DW and I both with new cards, we had duly filled out the travel notices. But sure enough the 1st time after using the card in BNE, it was blocked. I called fraud control and they do the verification by leaving a code on your answering machine of your home phone number. Well I explained that I had no way to get the code; but he was able to verify my identity surprisingly by calling Chase to confirm using one of my chase credit card numbers. So my card was unblocked and it worked fine the rest of the trip. However, for my DW they only offered calling the home phone and would not budge, we gave up on using her card for the trip.

Another time, I tried using it for Medicare quarterly payment. You can pay using a credit card if you send it by mail, so I did using my Platinum Select. A week later, I got a letter that it was rejected. I called both the bank and Medicare and there was no way to redo except for mailing it in again, well I forgot that idea and paid it online using a bank account.

But it always works fine for GCs, btw I read somewhere that you can do a single transaction for up 25% of your credit limit.

mia Jan 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30658137)
....Medicare quarterly payment......

For information, I used this card to pay medicare with no problem:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

hurnik Jan 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Anyone have any recent DP regarding when the Citi AA bonus points post?
I met the MSR on my Citi Business 2 weeks ago. No points still.
Statement closed on the 10th. Still no points.

P2 has the personal card.
Met MSR 3 weeks ago. No points.
Statement closed 2 weeks ago. Still no points.

Is it really 2-3 days after you meet the MSR? I thought maybe it would've been 2-3 days after the statement close date that you met the MSR, but it's been 5+ and 14+ in both cases and still no bonus points.

drminn Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30658499)

Is it really 2-3 days after you meet the MSR? I thought maybe it would've been 2-3 days after the statement close date that you met the MSR, but it's been 5+ and 14+ in both cases and still no bonus points.

What does the statement say? Take a look at the pdf version of the statement, there it states how many points you earned and how many were transferred to AA.

hurnik Jan 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by drminn (Post 30658594)
What does the statement say? Take a look at the pdf version of the statement, there it states how many points you earned and how many were transferred to AA.

Ermagerd!

I was just using the online/web and seeing the AA points summary.
Good grief.

Yes, the actual PDF statement "miles earned this period" shows the bonus.
Guess it doesn't update the online view (or over at AA either) for a while.

Thanks very much!

SeeBuyFly Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30658630)

If the statement closed on the 10th and the PDF statement from Citi shows that the miles were awarded, the miles should have appeared on your aa.com account on the 12th.

darthbimmer Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Update: I called Citi today. An agent confirmed that one of her colleagues spoke to me last night and I "refused to verify". She also confirmed that last night's agent was limited by company policy to tell me nothing further than "regarding a recent inquiry on your account" until I provided DOB and SSN. Yeah, no. Not when you call me. So I'll call in, proactively, next time an app goes pending rather than wait it out.

Happy Jan 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30657271)
eglantine who was doing mailers, had all her cards closed because of a refund to a closed card, reported a few weeks back. Ironically it was on an award ticket refund. I think avoiding any spend which could possibly be refunded, eg normal spending and just sticking to GCs and perhaps taxes is the best practice..

You may want to read more carefully - He called to have the refund processed once the refund was issued by AA instead of waiting for the refund being processed AUTOMATICALLY.
If you read the posts after he reported the shutdown, there are several posters told him he should just wait a few weeks and then the check would come and nobody would lay eyes on his cards.

Of course the better precaution is to NOT use the would be closed cards for anything that has even a remote chance of a refund.

Actually I would not use it for tax payments precisely if there is any hiccup down the road and you need the trace back on how the taxes were paid or whatever, it would be a nightmare should the payment card has long been closed.

But the reality is, refunds to closed cards would be processed automatically without cardholders calling to get back the money. A check would be sent to the address on file when the refund was sitting there for 2 billing cycles, even on closed cards. Had this happened with Chase and Barclays. I doubt Citi would be different because this seems to be a government regulation.

bobert24 Jan 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30658630)
Ermagerd!

I was just using the online/web and seeing the AA points summary.
Good grief.

Thanks very much!

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30658641)
If the statement closed on the 10th and the PDF statement from Citi shows that the miles were awarded, the miles should have appeared on your aa.com account on the 12th.

Agreed. You may want to double check and make sure that the correct AA accounts are linked to these cards or something. Did you put in your AA number when you applied for these cards? If you didn't, they'll automatically create a new AAdvantage account for you and post the miles to it.

bigshooter Jan 16, 2019 2:14 am

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30658499)

In the portal you should see your AA balance next to each card. Does that show up accurately?

Miles post 2-3 days after statement clears. Statement should show how many miles will post and where they are going. Did you look at the pdf?

hurnik Jan 16, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30659971)
Agreed. You may want to double check and make sure that the correct AA accounts are linked to these cards or something. Did you put in your AA number when you applied for these cards? If you didn't, they'll automatically create a new AAdvantage account for you and post the miles to it.

I know it's the correct # because when you login to the website, it lists the current balance on my AA account (93,something). That's why I thought the bonus miles hadn't posted on Citi's side.
But the BONUS miles still haven't posted to AA yet. Only the earned/charged miles from last statement.
So there may be a delay it seems.