FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers-2019-2020-a.html)

ECR12 Nov 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by thexfactor (Post 32519412)
Does that mean that I can downgrade an AA card to a Citi Double Cash today and apply for a Citi AA card next week and get the bonus now (assuming I haven't received a bonus w/in 48 months)?

Previously a PC/downgrade restarted the clock, but the new terms seem to have moved away from that.

Did we ever get new datapoints on this? I'm ~36 months since getting bonus on the AA Personal card and debating whether to downgrade to the no-fee card or just cancel. Does downgrading prohibit me from getting the bonus on a no AA Personal when I hit 48 months next year?

Boraxo Nov 19, 2020 10:45 pm

Received today offer for 5% cash back on $500 spend - assume that is on top of the usual miles. So that's essentially $25 cash.

tom_MN Nov 21, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 32687830)
I doesn't matter that you're not gaming. It only matters if you're doing something that AA might mistake for gaming. That's all it took!

Well, surprised that I got the second SUB, 60,000, after receiving the 50,000 SUB bonus only months ago. I can only hope that AA has stopped challenging these bonuses. I have saved the 3 mailers I got from Citibank offering this bonus specifically to me to show that I am not gaming, mailers they sent literally weeks after giving me the 50,000 SUB. Repeating that Citibank declined over the phone to give me the first SUB, so I was not checking to see if they actually did give me the bonus 7 months after closing the account, or I would not have applied for the second card.

sdsearch Nov 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN (Post 32834643)
Well, surprised that I got the second SUB, 60,000, after receiving the 50,000 SUB bonus only months ago. I can only hope that AA has stopped challenging these bonuses. I have saved the 3 mailers I got from Citibank offering this bonus specifically to me to show that I am not gaming, mailers they sent literally weeks after giving me the 50,000 SUB. Repeating that Citibank declined over the phone to give me the first SUB, so I was not checking to see if they actually did give me the bonus 7 months after closing the account, or I would not have applied for the second card.

The problem is that AA didn't give anybody the opportunity to show that they weren't gaming. If AA decided mistakenly that you were gaming, they could shut you down, and you had no recourse.

So based on that, I suggest now that you've gotten two SUBs on the same card, you pause for a good long time (focusing on other AA cards at the very least).

tom_MN Nov 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Today got a letter from Citibank saying that they shouldn’t have offered me the second SUB (which they did 3 times), but that the error was theirs and the points are mine to keep.

wormtail Dec 21, 2020 10:57 am

Data Point on 48 month rule

Signed up for Citi AA platinum personal for wife and I August 2020 after waiting 26 months from prior SUB for both. Didn't know about 48 month rule, still thought it was 24 months. Completed spend wife got the 60K bonus and I did not not. Go figure. Glad she got hers. Cancelled both cards today.

yerffej201 Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm

what are the current bonuses for the personal and business cards? the links in the wiki don't seem to be up to date.

cesco.g Feb 5, 2021 12:23 am

Is this offer gone?

Landing page for business Platinum Select World MC offer for 75K miles after $5000 spend
in 3 months, $99 fee waived first year

Clicking shows for may 1 sec the landing page and then provides an error...........

mia Feb 5, 2021 5:52 am

The Wikipost was last edited in 2019. There is little current interest in Citi AA cards, as evidenced by the lack of posts during 2020. I expect that all of the offers linked in the Wikipost are now obsolete.

mia May 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Moderator action

2021 posts have been moved to a new thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-aa-cards.html

I have not copied the Wikipost from this thread to the new thread, because much of the content is obsolete. I can easily do this if someone agrees to refresh it.