Old May 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Citi AA card discussion from 2019 - 2020 is HERE. That thread has an extensive Wikipost, but be aware that much of the content is obsolete.

Current Citibank Business AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Current Citibank Personal AA card Sign Up Bonus eligibility:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months."

Business and Personal cards are separated in terms of the SUB exclusions, and the restriction is based upon when you received the bonus.

The sign-up bonus typically appears on the statement in which you met the spending requirement. Miles shown on the statement typically post to your AA account 2 days later.

Print Wikipost

Citi AA Cards

Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Citi AA Cards

When the business application says:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.

Does that mean if I received a bonus on a PERSONAL AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card, I still won't get the business bonus? Or are there two separate 48 month clocks (1 for personal and 1 for business)?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:01 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pkoo
are there two separate 48 month clocks (1 for personal and 1 for business)?
Two separate calendars. However, some customer service agents are confused by the slash in the business product name "CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®", and they may tell you that any AAdvantage Platinum card disqualifies the bonus. It makes no difference what they tell you, it's all automated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Two separate calendars. However, some customer service agents are confused by the slash in the business product name "CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®", and they may tell you that any AAdvantage Platinum card disqualifies the bonus. It makes no difference what they tell you, it's all automated.
Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2021, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
It didn't seem all automated a few years ago, during the 24 month era, where I was way more than 24 months since my last business card but way less than 24 months since my last personal card, and they denied me the signup bonus on the business card because they claimed I had violated the 24 month rule, and it took months of me presenting my case about it with two different agents before they finally relented and said that I was owed a signup bonus.

So if it was all automated then, the automation made a mistake then. Or else if it was a human mistake, it wasn't all automated.

I never got an explanation of what the mistake was, so I don't know if they badly miscalculated the separate business card timing, or if they got the personal and business card timing confused. It had to be one or the other.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Got a mailer for AA Executive Card with a 60k offer for $6K spend in 3 months. Will pass on that. Would rather just grab the Aviator for a quick 60K if I was going to grab some AA miles.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Does the rule still stand, if you get approved, you will get the bonus? I applied for a Bus card, (had last bonus post less than 48 months), applied and got approved.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:06 am
Suspended

Citi AA Cards

Are any credits/discounts available on the annual fee for current cardholders of the Exec card due to COVID?
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:16 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Are any credits/discounts available on the annual fee for current cardholders of the Exec card due to COVID?
Discussion here: Cit AA Executive annual fee and AC Closures: $225 credit "upon renewal".
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Can someone clarify the 48 month rule? Is the 48 month rule based solely on earning the sign up bonus? In other words, if I earn a sign up bonus in year 1, close the account in year 3... do I need to wait 48 months from earning the sign up bonus or from closing the account?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Can someone clarify the 48 month rule? Is the 48 month rule based solely on earning the sign up bonus? In other words, if I earn a sign up bonus in year 1, close the account in year 3... do I need to wait 48 months from earning the sign up bonus or from closing the account?
It depends on what the Offer Availability section on the offer you're considering says. If it says this:

Offer Availability

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.
then it's based solely on earning the sign up bonus.

But the terms may vary from one application to another, so you have to read the terms carefully, and not assume that they're all the same.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 14, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:47 am

AAdvantage Platinum Select - Waiving Annual Fee/Cancel Card

I have had this card for 2 years, and just got my statement with the $99 annual fee. Due to COVID, I haven't traveled in over a year, and don't expect to for at least 2 months, probably more. I rarely use this card, and also when on business travel am obligated to use my business card. I only have the card for the benefits of priority boarding and free checked bag,
Any chance I might get the annual fee waived. I have called once but was told the only option to waive the fee would be to downgrade to the MileUp card, which is of no use to me. I am planning to call back again and ask to waive the fee, but if denied, am thinking of cancelling the card to waive the fee. I would then reapply again in a few months once I knew I would be traveling again.

Any thoughts on that plan - I know I won't get the mileage sign up bonus, but would the annual fee be waived for the first year?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:18 pm

Citi Biz approval odds?

Read that citi is being stricter re. app approvals as it relates to inquiries. I am 5/6 and 9/24. I opened a checking account with Citi in Dec (for bonus) and thought that might help? This would be my first citi credit card and looking at the AA Biz offer. I have a sole prop ‘Biz’ for 2 years w/ $3,250 revenue. FICO- 766, total annual income $130,000. I’ve been applying for quite a few new cards lately and don’t want to risk the HP from citi unless I feel like I have a decent shot at approval. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Last applied for the personal Citi AA card in 2017 (closed 2018), last applied for the business Citi AA card in 2018 (closed 2019), cannot get another business card because it has not been 48 months, but today got a personal Citi AA mailer. No, I did not fraudulently make up fake Advantage accounts to harvest mailers, it's genuinely targeted at me. Is it a no brainer to apply? Am at 5/24 and all of the 5 will fall off starting in May through August.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:31 am
mia

Does the mailer have the 48 month exclusion?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mia
Does the mailer have the 48 month exclusion?
Unfortunately, just realized there is 48-month language! Is this no good then?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.