FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers-2019-2020-a.html)

sciconf Jan 8, 2019 3:56 pm

I got approved for a 70k biz card - I see 75k offer too - when and how can I ask for a match?

JY1024 Jan 8, 2019 4:34 pm

Moving from the AAdvantage forum over to the Citi forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, AAdvantage co-moderator

victoras Jan 8, 2019 5:35 pm

Are there any offers one can match to in order to increase the 50K bonus being offered on the Executive card right now?

VegasGambler Jan 9, 2019 1:09 am

My first rent payment through Plastiq just hit my card (pending). I read some horror stories about Plastiq (on the MS forum) but this is looking pretty smooth so far. I went with the ACH payment so hopefully that makes things easier.

Will I have any problems with Citi if I make a single $3500+ Plastiq rent payment on each card and nothing else?

EDIT: note that this is not manufactured spend or anything like that. This is my actual rent payment made to my landlord. Although, I guess Citi doesn't know that. Do they care?

bigshooter Jan 9, 2019 7:41 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30630767)
My first rent payment through Plastiq just hit my card (pending). I read some horror stories about Plastiq (on the MS forum) but this is looking pretty smooth so far. I went with the ACH payment so hopefully that makes things easier.

Will I have any problems with Citi if I make a single $3500+ Plastiq rent payment on each card and nothing else?

EDIT: note that this is not manufactured spend or anything like that. This is my actual rent payment made to my landlord. Although, I guess Citi doesn't know that. Do they care?

Other than Citi being uptight when it comes to high dollar purchases on new cards (I trip fraud every single time I get a new card) they typically care less what you spend the money on. They get the same fees no matter what.

I was going to use plastiq for convenience sake on my next card to pay rent, but just realized our own rent payment portal has a lower fee than plastiq. Have you checked for that?

SeeBuyFly Jan 9, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by pkoo (Post 30631637)
I applied and got approved for a 40k + $200 statement credit offer 2 weeks ago. I called today to ask to be matched to a 60k bonus miles offer but the CSR said we would have to file a "dispute." Does that sound right to anyone?

What language did you use when asking? See post 3369.

VegasGambler Jan 9, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30631635)
I was going to use plastiq for convenience sake on my next card to pay rent, but just realized our own rent payment portal has a lower fee than plastiq. Have you checked for that?

I don't have a rent payment portal. I rent a condo from an owner. They have an LLC (and actually they own a few condos) but it's not a big enough operation to have anything like that.

cheaptom Jan 9, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30630767)

So you're paying the 2.5% fee to use Plastiq? My landlord accepts checks only, and I'm trying to get him to allow some kind of e-payments, but no dice.

VegasGambler Jan 9, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 30632866)
So you're paying the 2.5% fee to use Plastiq? My landlord accepts checks only, and I'm trying to get him to allow some kind of e-payments, but no dice.

Yeah. Under $100 in fees for 50k-65k miles seems like a good deal to me :)

Plastiq has two payment options: paper checks or ACH transfer. So if your landlord doesn't like ACH, just choose the paper check option. It's easier to set up anyway (though probably less convenient once it's set up)

There is a thread about this in the MS forum. Some people were complaining that Plastiq made payments VERY late, although it's not clear if that's a one-time thing due to them needing to verify your payment, or an ongoing issue. I scheduled my Feb rent payment to be delivered on 1/14 so I'd have time to deal with any issues if they come up. I let my landlord know that this was a new payment method, and that I was scheduling the payment very early, and I asked her to let me know when/if she sees the money show up in the account. I guess, on Monday, I'll see if it shows up when it's supposed to.

In order to set up the payee, you will need to upload some proof that this is a real bill payment in order for Plastiq to process it. I sent a PDF of my lease (which my landlord had emailed to me before my renewal).

LWT3 Jan 9, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30633195)
Because a single rent payment is more than the minimum spend requirement, my question was, does Citi care if I open a credit card, make a single large charge to get the bonus, and never charge anything else to the card? Or, should I throw them the occasional bit of "regular" spend, just so it's not 1 purchase per credit card?

No need to use the card ever again after your bonus posts. My approach now is to make a single tax payment (or something similar) for the full minimum spend, get the points, lower the CL, close the card and apply again. I've lost track of how many cards I've gone through, and that pattern doesn't seem to bother Citi at all.

iowa guy Jan 10, 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30634530)
No need to use the card ever again after your bonus posts. My approach now is to make a single tax payment (or something similar) for the full minimum spend, get the points, lower the CL, close the card and apply again. I've lost track of how many cards I've gone through, and that pattern doesn't seem to bother Citi at all.

Doesn't Citi require a time period between card applications that receive the bonus? Can you just close the card and reapply the next day?

mia Jan 10, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30636670)
Doesn't Citi require a time period between card applications that receive the bonus? Can you just close the card and reapply the next day?

I strongly suggest that you read the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Citi has idiosyncratic rules that differ from other issuers in important details. Citi does not care if you currently hold the same card. They do care how recently you OPENED -or- CLOSED an account. Their PUBLIC offers typically require a 24 month wait after either of those events, but their TARGETED offers may not.

There is a separate rule regarding how frequently you may submit an application for ANY card, without regard to bonus eligibility for a specific card.

bigboy61 Jan 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 30603700)
You might want to read that DoC post more carefully as well as the comments. It is three years old and I don't see any indication of anyone actually getting a virtual account number, only that a Rep said that it was possible. In the comments, someone claims that you can only get one if you have an existing Citi bank account or credit card account. However, they were unable to actually get one. Other comments note:
Not sure what a 'Diamond Preferred' card is/was but note you could only use 10% of CL.
Restricted to airline purchases, no follow-up as to whether or not it worked.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone getting a virtual account before on a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card.

When I had my mom sign up for one of those a few years ago, we got a virtual card number and we still have the piece of paper to prove it. It was the Platinum Select card. I can scan it and post it here if you want to see it (obviously with stuff redacted). As I said previously, I think you have to sign up for the card while you are buying a ticket. That's what we did and we got the instant approval and instant card number (so we could use it for the tickets). You are only allowed to use a portion of the CL though.

darthbimmer Jan 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Application Review Call, or Fraud?

Last week I applied for a Citi AA card. The app went pending. "We'll be in touch soon." Today I got a phone call from a person who identified himself as a CitiBank employee and right off the bat asked me to state my birth date. Mindful that this call could be a request for more information about my app-- or could be phishing (fraud)-- I stated that I'd need more detail regarding the purpose of the call before answering. The rep refused to state anything beyond "Recent inquiry on your account" until I divulged PII. I told him I feared this call was fraud and hung up.

Question: Does Citi make a practice of calling to review apps? I tried the link for "Check status" online, and it provided no new info. Though, curiously, it did state they'd follow up with me "via mail or email", not phone.

VegasGambler Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 30655696)
Last week I applied for a Citi AA card. The app went pending. "We'll be in touch soon." Today I got a phone call from a person who identified himself as a CitiBank employee and right off the bat asked me to state my birth date. Mindful that this call could be a request for more information about my app-- or could be phishing (fraud)-- I stated that I'd need more detail regarding the purpose of the call before answering. The rep refused to state anything beyond "Recent inquiry on your account" until I divulged PII. I told him I feared this call was fraud and hung up.

Question: Does Citi make a practice of calling to review apps? I tried the link for "Check status" online, and it provided no new info. Though, curiously, it did state they'd follow up with me "via mail or email", not phone.

Call them back and ask. This sounds like a scam to me but it's Citi so who knows.