FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers-2019-2020-a.html)

jiaogulan Jan 4, 2019 8:42 am

Originally Posted by lancaster (Post 30606792)
To unlink successfully, you have to make sure that your closed account is not the primary account. And calling in to IT would be a waste of time since they would just issue a trouble shooting ticket that goes no where.

Yup, I called in and made my new-ish Citi Premier card my primary online account wise (a keeper card) and it has been well worth it get that established for easy AA adding/removing purposes.

mia Jan 4, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by GH83 (Post 30608862)
....no longer figure out how to change the primary account. .....

Login > Profile (Upper right) > More Settings > Default Credit Card and Nicknames .

drminn Jan 4, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by GH83 (Post 30608862)
The website used to be more intuitive, but I can no longer figure out how to change the primary account. Fortunately, chat agents can update your primary account in a matter of seconds, and then you can unlink the old accounts.

Under the "Profiles" menu in the upper right on the website go to "More Settings", it is right there under "default credit cards". Make a card you want to keep the default, then you can unlink all the others.

GH83 Jan 4, 2019 9:02 am

Well, that was easier than I thought! I believe there used to be a link to it right on the main accounts page.

bobert24 Jan 4, 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30607607)
How long does it take to actually get one of these cards in your hands? I applied and was instantly approved on 12/25. I understand that the holidays can make things slow, but... I got the approval letter (with the cash advance pin) on Dec 31. Still no card...

Luckily AA views me as a cardholder so I was able to book award travel and get my 10k mile rebate on 12/30.

I'm averaging about 10 days from approval to arrival, but it can vary a little depending on where in the country you are. For a long time, I always got the card the day after I got the approval letter, but recently there's sometimes been a longer gap between the two.

VegasGambler Jan 4, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30612073)
I'm averaging about 10 days from approval to arrival, but it can vary a little depending on where in the country you are. For a long time, I always got the card the day after I got the approval letter, but recently there's sometimes been a longer gap between the two.

Yeah, it finally arrived today. So that's 10 days, including a holiday.

Activated, linked, and requested a match to 75k miles through SM (offer was 50+10). I actually tried to go through chat but there were no available agents. I'm not sure why they want to move everything from SM to chat if they don't have agents ready to chat 24/7.

It's already linked to Plastiq and I'm going to give it a try for rent this month.

dgilligan02 Jan 5, 2019 9:43 am

Opinions needed. Opened a Citi Biz AA card as I was short of miles for a family trip. Hurried up and met the min spend prior to first statement closing and bonus miles posted. One of the purchases on first statement was large for Expedia (hotel corresponding to said family trip) and was what pushed me over the min spend threshold on statement 1. Cashed in the award miles for flights.

Fast forward and I am on statement period three, and I'd like to cancel that Expedia res as I've found a better deal elsewhere. Would this put my AA account miles balance in jeopardy, and or ticketed flight in jeopardy? I'll have spent the min $5K either way within first three months as required, but probably looks like I gamed the system to get the miles to post earlier. I'm not sure if Citi cares about this timing issue, or what they would most likely do about it?

bobert24 Jan 5, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by dgilligan02 (Post 30613782)
Opinions needed. Opened a Citi Biz AA card as I was short of miles for a family trip. Hurried up and met the min spend prior to first statement closing and bonus miles posted. One of the purchases on first statement was large for Expedia (hotel corresponding to said family trip) and was what pushed me over the min spend threshold on statement 1. Cashed in the award miles for flights.

Fast forward and I am on statement period three, and I'd like to cancel that Expedia res as I've found a better deal elsewhere. Would this put my AA account miles balance in jeopardy, and or ticketed flight in jeopardy? I'll have spent the min $5K either way within first three months as required, but probably looks like I gamed the system to get the miles to post earlier. I'm not sure if Citi cares about this timing issue, or what they would most likely do about it?

We've never had any reports of anybody getting in trouble for a return/refund of any sort (although the strong consensus is that you definitely shouldn't let returns permanently put you under the min spend). As long as you do have over $5k worth of non-refunded purchases when all is said and done, you should be fine. Citi doesn't care when you get the miles - the timing issue is a non-issue.

ninim2200 Jan 5, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by dgilligan02 (Post 30613782)

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30613878)
We've never had any reports of anybody getting in trouble for a return/refund of any sort (although the strong consensus is that you definitely shouldn't let returns permanently put you under the min spend). As long as you do have over $5k worth of non-refunded purchases when all is said and done, you should be fine. Citi doesn't care when you get the miles - the timing issue is a non-issue.

I agree with bobert24,no previous reports on a claw-back of miles in similar situations, it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen to you though, but i would put the new purchase that will replace the Expedia one on the same card so your card doesn't go negative overall and may be this won't show a red flag with citi.

dgilligan02 Jan 5, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks bobert24 and ninim2200, I don't hang around here as much as I used to, but recall your input as helpful in the glory days of the Citi Exec 100K churning. Same here, appreciate it.

jameswes Jan 5, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30612043)
Begin by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...read-only.html

Thanks Mia - I did read through the wiki.

The closest reference was "you can always send Citi a secure message through your online account to confirm your bonus amount and deadline. (You must first activate the card and set up online access, either by creating an online account or by linking your new card to your existing online account. "

However, I have activated and linked my new AA card, and Secure Message can only read messages (of which I don't have any).

SeeBuyFly Jan 5, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 30614770)

No you did not. Please read the wiki in the thread mia gave you the link to. There is no need to read and quote from an entirely different wiki.

Or, you could just read some previous posts in the current thread (not the wiki) before posting in it.

mia Jan 5, 2019 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 30614770)

Please click HERE to read the thread which discusses the changes to the SM system.

mia Jan 6, 2019 10:35 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30529702)
..... I'm on Android now )

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30597752)
....it would have been nice to be able to add it to my mobile wallet ....

You will not be able to use the AA card with Google Pay:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...iti-google-pay

Which Citi cards are eligible to use with Google Pay?

All Citi branded consumer credit and debit cards issued in the US are eligible for Google Pay, except for ATM cards, American Express cards, and CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ cards. Citi branded business cards are not eligible for Google Pay, except for US issued Costco Anywhere VisaŽ Business cards.

tmiw Jan 6, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30617837)
You will not be able to use the AA card with Google Pay:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...iti-google-pay

Weird how it's supported on Apple Pay but not Google Pay. Fortunately I do have an iPhone floating around but not sure if it's worth bothering with when the card probably won't be used beyond the minimum spend.