Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr

I'd take primary doemstic car insurance so that we can drop Chase if necessary
I'd second primary domestic car rental insurance.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I already have the big 3; Prestige/CSR/Platinum, so it's more a question of what gets sh-- canned at annual fee time. The Prestige definitely is, the CSR is a possible, as is the Plat depending on retention offers.
It would be nice to see Citi add benefits to this card but since they seem to continually reinvent the card every 2 years or so it is hard to imagine that they will add benefits so soon after taking many away to improve the profitability of the product. There biggest issue with the changes they have made since they announced their changes is that the card while it does offer some compelling benefits does little to encourage customers to keep it top of wallet. Instead, the primary reasons to use the card is for travel as a result of the 4th night free and strong warranty protections.

However, if they were to add benefits to the card, the main things I would like to see are:

1) Primary car rental insurance (as others have mentioned)
2) 3X points category expanded to include a broader range of travel providers similar to Altitude Reserve, CSR, and ThankYou Premier, along with 3X points for dining
3) Increase points value to at least 1.33% or 1.5% to be competitive with other cards (not likely since they just reduced this benefit)
4) 1 or 2 additional ThankYou points transfer partners focused on US based customers such as American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and British Airways. While I would love for them to be able to add Southwest, United, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott these are all excluded due to Chase contracting is my understanding. As such, we are left with only a few options as US customers which is unfortunate unless you move to the lesser used brands such as Wyndham, Club Carlson, Choice, Best Western, Spirit Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and Allegiant, and I doubt the target demographic is interested in many of these options.

So while that is my wish list while being realistic there is another option that Citibank could take that would keep their card top of wallet. They could increase airfare earnings from 3X points to either 4X points or 5X points which would then make the card competitive to the CSR with regards to redemption of points for travel (4X points at 1.25% = 5% versus CSR & Altitude Reserve 3X points X 1.5% = 4.5%). They wouldn't need to increase the earnings on hotels since they already offer the 4th night free program. Then it just leaves them with the decision of whether to improve dining and travel to 3X.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:21 am

Citi rewind keeps the card at the top of my wallet. I usually file one claim a month. For me this is of greater cash value than an extra 1x dining.

If there are changes I guess harmonization of the point categories with Premier, and a link to a hotel program to replace Hilton.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Citi rewind keeps the card at the top of my wallet. I usually file one claim a month. For me this is of greater cash value than an extra 1x dining.

If there are changes I guess harmonization of the point categories with Premier, and a link to a hotel program to replace Hilton.
Chase cards offer price rewind. 90d vs 60d for Citi.
Downsides w chase:
Must wait for a check as there's no statement credit option
No website to track the purchases. Not material for me because I always find a cheaper price on my own. Usually some remote small website
Claims take longer.

Upside w chase
Easy to file. You can submit a claim via website. And upload pics of receipt and lower price. No need to fill out a PDF claim form like w citi.

My shopping. strategy is as follows:
att for online purchases 3x (+ 24m warranty)
United Club 1.5x for physical stores
Prestige for physical stores where I'd want a 24m warranty (vs 1y w chase)
Amex: only if there's a compelling Amex offer.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
With the fourth night free, this is the best travel card out there. I ignore the travel blogger shills with their propaganda 'aspire' awards.
That is strictly your opinion. Some people may travel and stay with family (like I do) or their business may already have their hotel paid for prior to check in if they travel for work. For these types of travelers, dealing with Citi's hair ripping customer service is ridiculous and many would rather have the Chase card with primary rental coverage if they want to use a car. Cards are never a "one size fits all" product.

I agree the the 4th night free (which will now include average/night and no taxes) is a great perk, though.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Isn't Price Rewind a feature of pretty much all Citi cards, even zero AF ones like Double Cash and Costco?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by milypan
Isn't Price Rewind a feature of pretty much all Citi cards, even zero AF ones like Double Cash and Costco?
Yes. Chase also has a similar price protection feature on almost all of its cards (including most no-AF cards), although they don't have a website that searches for lower prices "automatically."
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

The sets of price rewindable purchases and dining purchases are completely non-interlocking--there's no reason to use this card for dining even if you use it for purchases of price rewindable goods.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:33 pm

I believe the Price Rewind program is available with the free Citi Double Cashback card - so it is not really a reason to keep the Prestige Card.

Originally Posted by SamOF
The sets of price rewindable purchases and dining purchases are completely non-interlocking--there's no reason to use this card for dining even if you use it for purchases of price rewindable goods.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:07 pm

Retentions rep hinted to me today of incoming positive benefits (not metal card "benefit"). That's as far as she went.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:10 pm

Prestige is also the only non Amex plat/PRG card whose purchase protection includes LOST items. Other cards limit the benefit to stolen items only.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:33 pm

rep on the phone told me after the 23rd, I can use the fourth night free AND use my thank you points toward the reservation. I have an expensive stay next year and this will make it a lot cheaper.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:41 am

Rep said announcement comes July 17th, and will feature a new metal card plus other positive changes. If you login, it prompts you to review the changes to the benefits but the page fails to load. So maybe the site will launch sooner.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Question Last Chance for $0.016

I'm sure lots of us are in the same situation of having TYPs but no immediate plans for an AA flight. How can I preserve the max value of these points on AA before the devaluation? In my mind, the ideal scenario would be to buy a fully refundable ticket with TYPs and get a cash refund from AA although that may be wishful thinking. My searches on FT and blogs came up empty.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I'm sure lots of us are in the same situation of having TYPs but no immediate plans for an AA flight. How can I preserve the max value of these points on AA before the devaluation? In my mind, the ideal scenario would be to buy a fully refundable ticket with TYPs and get a cash refund from AA although that may be wishful thinking. My searches on FT and blogs came up empty.
I've not tried it myself, but I've been told on FT that refunds would be in TYPs. Also, I did recently needed to make a change on AA flights paid with TYPs, due to AA rescheduling, and had to use the TYP Concierge to do so.

If anyone has gotten it to work the way you suggest, I too would like to hear about it, and I'm sure others would, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.