Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
4th night basically value the points at 1.33c each then, but Chase and USB are 1.5c with CSR and AR. So what's the point?
TPG has it wrong and you would actually value them at 1cpp. Why? Because even if you paid cash, you'd still get that fourth night free.

4 nights at $100 each = $400.

Pay with points? 30,000
Pay with cash? $300 (after instant 4th night rebate which is calculated and credited immediately upon booking/payment)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by MDJennings
TPG has it wrong and you would actually value them at 1cpp. Why? Because even if you paid cash, you'd still get that fourth night free.

Pay with points? 30,000
Pay with cash? $300 (after instant 4th night rebate which is calculated and credited immediately upon booking/payment)
$400/30000=1.33c. With Chase or USB you will pay 26667 instead. And Chase points are much easier to get right now than TYPs. Prestige is completely useless! You better cash your points at 1c, and then pay with a card for a reservation to get hotel points.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by yugi
$400/30000=1.33c. With Chase or USB you will pay 26667 instead. And Chase points are much easier to get right now than TYPs. Prestige is completely useless! You better cash your points at 1c, and then pay with a card for a reservation to get hotel points.
You aren't paying $400 cash for those 4 nights though. You'd only be paying $300 for them so $300/30000 = 1cpp. You have to think of using miles/points in lieu of using cash and assign the value accordingly. In other words, you'd be getting that 4th night free no matter if you used cash of points.

I agree the CSR is superior though.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by TTT103
As others have surmised, no new benefits - - only enhancements.

In less than a week, I will lose about $2,700 in value with the loss of the 1.6 Cent AA TY point devaluation. I used as many TY points as I could in anticipation of the change, but there were only so many flights that I could book.

The card will go in the sock drawer to be used for 4th night free hotel stays only.
Whoa. At that level, sure you don't want to book a couple of J tickets to Europe for some time out in the future? I'm wrestling with something similar with soon-enough-to-be-devalued MR points (Business card points rebate). Possible change fees would be insignificant at your level/volume relative to guaranteed loss due to devaluation.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by MDJennings

Pay with points? 30,000
You're right. this is not a benefit in itself, but rather 2 benefits used back-to-back (1cpp statement credit redemption, 4th night free booking).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Big question in my mind if is you will be required to book via thankyou.com, if so you likely won't earn points and elite benefits, which in my mind greatly eliminates the value in my mind.

Personally I think the current model was unsustainable given the way people booked rooms using corporate codes and other discounts, but none the less without it I probably will cancel after taking my statement credit for travel in Jan.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ellinj
Big question in my mind if is you will be required to book via thankyou.com...
Numerous reports indicate that will not be the case:
...we will still be able to book discount rates, we will still earn hotel points on our stays, and we will still receive elite status benefits as long as we don’t book online.
While you can use the online booking option if you choose, the Citi Prestige Concierge phone booking option will remain exactly as before: the fourth night will be billed to your card and it’ll come back as a statement credit.
...simply use the Citi Prestige Concierge booking method over the phone, and everything will run exactly as before.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ratamacue
Numerous reports indicate that will not be the case:
Yup. Heck, I even had a Concierge offer to add my Marriott number to a recent booking because they had it on file.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is there a way to access the new portal today?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:59 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by TTT103
Golfingboy, they totally gave away the farm with their Costco card. I can't help but think that they would have been better served seeking exclusive contracts with Hilton or AA. Let AmEx keep the Costco account. As someone who frequents Costco, I certainly have no desire of getting a Citi Costco card, as I have plenty of Visa cards in my wallet.
To make things worse for Citi credit card business, they along with Synchrony, accounts for 2/3 of the brick/mortar retail credit cards (i.e. Macy's, Sears, Staples, etc.) and we know what is happening with those businesses. They are not only seeing sharp declines in co-branded retail cards, but they are also struggling to collect funds and recently announced they will write off 4.6% of that portfolio.

All the more reason why I am dumbfounded that they are not trying to be more aggressive with retaining Presitge cardholders by attracting a more diverse set of benefits with real value like AMEX Platinum and CSR. Kind of surprising that the 8th largest bank in the World (market cap) can't compete on the same level.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
You're right. this is not a benefit in itself, but rather 2 benefits used back-to-back (1cpp statement credit redemption, 4th night free booking).
which seems no different from using points to pay off your statement balance, lol.

what a lackluster offering. At least an increased 1.33 or 1.5 or 1.6 redemption towards 4th night free, or a few admirals club lounge passes, might have helped soften the blow.

I still only pay net $100, and I still will get use of the 4th night free benefit, but have no idea what to do with my points now. (burned through most, only around 50k now)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just got email from Citi

We're writing to inform you of changes to your Citi PrestigeŽ Card as of July 23, 2017.

As a valued cardmember, we want to introduce you to the exciting new benefits of your Citi PrestigeŽ card.

A new card

You'll be receiving a first release Citi PrestigeŽ metal card in the coming months. Please activate your new card immediately upon receipt. Your account number will be identical; however, your CVV and expiration date will change.

Your complimentary 4th night benefit has been updated
You can now take advantage of your complimentary 4th night benefit through thankyou.com! You can also redeem ThankYouŽ Points for all or part of your stay and get a complimentary 4th night. The complimentary 4th night savings will be applied at checkout; you'll no longer have to wait to receive a statement credit when you book at thankyou.com.
The complimentary 4th night benefit will be calculated based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit. You'll still be able to enjoy your benefit at any hotel with no restrictions on the number of times you can use this benefit.

Redeeming ThankYou Points for cash rewards
You'll receive greater value for cash reward redemptions with ThankYou Points. For example, previously you could redeem 50,000 ThankYou Points for $250. As of July 23rd, 50,000 points will be redeemable for $500. There's no annual dollar cap or limit to the number of cash redemptions you make. All cash redemptions are final.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ellinj
Big question in my mind if is you will be required to book via thankyou.com, if so you likely won't earn points and elite benefits, which in my mind greatly eliminates the value in my mind.
Speculation at this point because it really depends on which rate is booked. If it is a wholesale rate, then likely no points/benefits. If website offers same rates as hotel website, points/benefits likely to remain.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by citi
You can now take advantage of your complimentary 4th night benefit through thankyou.com! You can also redeem ThankYouŽ Points for all or part of your stay and get a complimentary 4th night. The complimentary 4th night savings will be applied at checkout; you'll no longer have to wait to receive a statement credit when you book at thankyou.com.i
I read this to mean that booking can be made through thankyou.com using money or points or mixed, -and- that the discount will be applied instantly without regard to method of payment. This suggests that bookings made through thankyou.com would always be prepaid.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:03 pm

I cancelled the card after having it for 2 years. After the devaluation, I got nothing out of it that didn't come with the Citi Premier that I couldn't pull from another card. I'd rahter have the $350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.