Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You aren't likely to get denied. Your application may go on hold, though, pending them getting in touch with you, if they can't allocate enough CL to open the new card without moving it around.

Though if you have only 1 Citi card open, I would presume that's less likely, assuming you have a good and reasonably long credit history overall. But what's still possible is that they'll only be able to given a "token" CL on the new card (which might make $3k minimum spend harder to do), and may want to get in touch with you (or you may want to get in touch with them a couple days after you apply, if not approved yet by then) to ask if they can raise your CL on the new card by pulling some from the existing card (especially if your existing card has more than plenty).
I see. That's good to hear!

Did you by any chance use a different email address when applying again?
And were you able to use the same street address as the first AA Citi card? Or did you use another address (work/office)?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Correct.
Thanks for the confirmations! As far as handling the spend; I plan on also opening a Citigold account for 50K miles, and using that to cover my Exec spend. Plat will be from organic spend + some light MS.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by dkim
I see. That's good to hear!

Did you by any chance use a different email address when applying again?
And were you able to use the same street address as the first AA Citi card? Or did you use another address (work/office)?
Actually, I'm gonna answer my own question and say that using the same email address doesn't matter.

I just got approved!

Thank you everyone for your support in answering my questions.

Now I'll have to make sure to meet the $3k spend asap!

Woo hoo!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:18 pm

Also, forgot to note one more thing:

If you get an alert out of nowhere in your citi mobile app saying that a new card is on its way, that means that your card might have been upgraded to a World Elite card.

Call Citi to double check to make sure it is indeed a World Elite upgrade.

Then, in order to expedite the delivery of the card, tell the customer service rep that you'd like to receive the card soon since you are planning on traveling. Ask if you can get a "replacement" card of the new World Elite card via expedited shipping. Expedited shipping is free to World Elite members.

Your card should arrive in 1-2 business days.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:47 pm

My 2nd platinum card just became another World Elite!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by winsteven13
My 2nd platinum card just became another World Elite!
My apology if the question has been answered.
The only WE card that i see on the citi website is Citi AA Exe card. Is that what everyone is converting to from platinum select MC?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:26 am

You aren't likely to get denied. Your application may go on hold, though, pending them getting in touch with you, if they can't allocate enough CL to open the new card without moving it around.

Though if you have only 1 Citi card open, I would presume that's less likely, assuming you have a good and reasonably long credit history overall. But what's still possible is that they'll only be able to given a "token" CL on the new card (which might make $3k minimum spend harder to do), and may want to get in touch with you (or you may want to get in touch with them a couple days after you apply, if not approved yet by then) to ask if they can raise your CL on the new card by pulling some from the existing card (especially if your existing card has more than plenty).
What is the procedure for converting a AA Platinum into a World Elite, and how long do you have to wait (does the 18 month rule apply here or the 59 day rule) until you can apply for the new AA Platinum personal card?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:29 am

More datapoints. My second W to WE conversion showed up online 5 or 6 days after the first statement closed. A few days later the AA platinum was showing up on the prequalified page. Several days later I applied (65 Citidays) and was approved for a high credit line via chat with no questions except app number and my name.

I have not yet received the WE cards from the second conversion. Both earlier accounts remain open.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Rajnish
My apology if the question has been answered.
The only WE card that i see on the citi website is Citi AA Exe card. Is that what everyone is converting to from platinum select MC?
No. Some cards are initially World cards but later upgraded by Citi; you can't apply for them that way.

However, I believe the Prestige and Premier cards are World Elite out of the box.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by schrute
What is the procedure for converting a AA Platinum into a World Elite, and how long do you have to wait (does the 18 month rule apply here or the 59 day rule) until you can apply for the new AA Platinum personal card?
World Elite upgrades are done only to accounts that seem to be in good standing and with relatively moderate spending habits. It took me about 1.5 months to receive the World Elite upgrade, but like everyone said earlier, YMMV.

It's not exactly clear the exact reason why the card upgrades... There's only speculation on this matter.

I'd say make sure you meet the minimum spend of 3k to earn the points and then wait 1-2 months. If you use your card regularly and pay it off right away, they may upgrade you sooner rather than later.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
More datapoints. My second W to WE conversion showed up online 5 or 6 days after the first statement closed. A few days later the AA platinum was showing up on the prequalified page. Several days later I applied (65 Citidays) and was approved for a high credit line via chat with no questions except app number and my name.

I have not yet received the WE cards from the second conversion. Both earlier accounts remain open.
Could you explain? So your AA Plat automatically converted to a WE? You then applied for another (65 days later) AA Plat and got approved?

Did you use the link here for the 50K offer to get approved or was it a new promo?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by nall
No. Some cards are initially World cards but later upgraded by Citi; you can't apply for them that way.

However, I believe the Prestige and Premier cards are World Elite out of the box.
Thanks for reply. So i just noticed that, last week, both me and my wife were sent new cards, and back side of the card reads world elite.
I guess it was automatic upgrade- Does it mean we can apply for another platinum select MC and pocket 50k each? just want to be double sure. Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Rajnish
Thanks for reply. So i just noticed that, last week, both me and my wife were sent new cards, and back side of the card reads world elite.
I guess it was automatic upgrade- Does it mean we can apply for another platinum select MC and pocket 50k each? just want to be double sure. Thanks.
Yup! I will be applying for my 3rd Platinum during my next AOR.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by dkim
For any of the people who got approved for a 2nd AA Citi Platinum card after World -> World Elite conversion:

(When applying for the 2nd card)
Did you guys use different email address?
How about different street address?

Thanks guys.
AFAIK, everyone uses the same "everything" - email address, mailing address, AAdvantage #, etc. No need to change anything. And for others who may have similar questions, I can assure you that if there were additional "tricks" that we needed to do in order to get the second (or third...) AA Plat Select World MC, it would be mentioned here in the thread when we post our data points, and it would most likely be mentioned in the wiki.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:30 am

I have read through quite few pages here and I'm not getting the crux of the matter.

Are you guys saying if you have had Citi Platinum, got the bonus and then Citi automatically upgraded to World elite without asking, then you can apply for Citi Platinum again and get the bonus?

I have had Citi platinum, got the bonus , they mailed me the World elite, but I never activated it because I wanted to close that account anyway. what happens in this case?

Some people are saying you can have multiple Citi accounts at the same time and still earn bonus miles, if that's case, why would anything matter? As long as you can get them to approve, they you should receive your bonus. Correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.