Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Thanks MadMadso and explorer84 on this. I also read this thread and have similar questions. Now I am ready to apply and wonder which application 4c, 12 or 13 should I use which may have a better possibility on getting converted to WE afterward, or based on reading seems anyone of them is fine?

How long does it usually take to get automatically converted and is it not a good idea to proactive asked to be converted to shorten the timeframe?

Thanks very much for all tips and help. Good luck on this and have a great evening
Any of the apps listed should be fine. I used 12 last. IME, the conversion takes place at the statement closing. If it does not, sometimes it converts a week or 2 later. Not sure why. I would not ask to be converted. You have to wait for your 7/65 or 33/65, however you chose to do your apps, so don't worry or push it. You should be good to go every other app.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
For those have done the Triple Dip, did y'all cancel the first card before doing the triple dip?

I know Citi normally does not care how many cards one has, but when the number starts to get above 6 or 7, with each one's CL is 5K or the multiples of, things become a bit less clear-cut... Some pruning would be needed.
I have kept them open, but lowered the CL so I will be auto approved for the next one. I will start closing some soon though.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
With Citi, there should be no clawback. However, it is advisable to spend an amount equal to the price of the ticket on that card so it does not wind up with a negative statement balance.
thx!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkim
So, I recently got an alert saying a new card was on its way.

I called Citi to check if it was a World Elite, and they indeed confirmed it was.

Now, my question is:
• Do i need to have the physical world elite card already activated before applying for a new application?

Or can I apply even without the new physical card?
I'm not sure; how risk-averse are you?

The least-risky thing would be to at least wait to get the card. I seem to recall at least one report of successfully getting the card without activating the World Elite card, but I don't think that report explained the timing any further than that.

If you believe that pre-qualified offers are a sure sign of being ready to apply for the next card (if not clear on whether the present consensus is as to how sure a sign it is), you could check the Citi for those and see if they already show you being pre-qualified for a Citi AA Plat card (the pre-qualified offer will be for way fewer bonus miles, so use that as an indication only, don't actually apply for it).

But me, I'm fairly risk averse, so I'd just wait until I had the World Elite in hand (and I'd active it too, since why not?).
• Also, Do I provide my current existing AAdvantage number with this new application?
Yes, definitely provide your existing AAdvantage number on the new application. There is no record of anyone ever having been turned down for a Citi AA Plat card because they provided it (as long as they didn't violate any timing rules or have credit problems).

Btw, speaking of credit problems, if you have several other Citi cards open, take the time right now to lower the credit limit on any that you don't much credit limit on any more. That can take several weeks to filter through the system, and may help you with your next Citi AA Plat application by the time your World Elite card has arrived. (It won't help if you reduce credit limit today and apply for the next card tomorrow.)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by silver02accord
Legit, thank you. Any guidance on going for the platinum vs the executive? I saw the wiki suggest to go with lower level cards first. The 75k offer seems better considering I'm funding a citi bank gold account shortly.
You can apply for either one, the platinum has the AF waived for the 1st year, while the executive has $450 billed normally on 1st statement, you can apply for both, you just need to understand the 8/65 rule and get educated understanding each card so you don't have any surprises.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:22 pm

Well just got approved for another AA plat.

Old card converted to World Elite nearly 6 months ago and have been laying low with credit apps lately since I can't seem to find vacation time to use all the points I've already earned.

Hopefully the welcome packet will say 50k bonus.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I have been getting a business card every 92 days for about 4 years. Getting a PhD takes 5-7 years (or more) at most US universities, so I have a little way to go yet.
Thx. This was the push I needed. Zeros all around, waited 2 days and got quite a large CL for all zeros. This was perfect timing for me. Thx!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:22 pm

5/29/2015 Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
7/21/2015 Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MC upgraded to WE

Applying for Citi AAdvantage Platinum #2 to get 50K AA points. I lowered the WE to $2k CL. Hopefully the second app gets auto-approved.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I've had a Citi Plat Visa since 2012 which i downgraded to a Citi Bronze in august.

I also got a Citi Prestige in May and a Citi Premier in June.

Based on the above, I should be okay to apply for a Citi Plat MC and expect the 50K miles, right? Since I previously had the Visa? And downgrading to a Bronze wouldn't affect that?

And since my Premier/Prestige were over 65 days ago, I should be okay applying for this Citi Plat, and waiting 8 days, then applying for Citi Exec?

Bonus question - if they offer me the WMC and in the next few months, upgrade me to WEMC, based on all of the posts, I should theoretically be able to apply for the Citi Plat again, right? But this wouldn't work if the initial card they gave me was a WEMC, right?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm not sure; how risk-averse are you?

The least-risky thing would be to at least wait to get the card. I seem to recall at least one report of successfully getting the card without activating the World Elite card, but I don't think that report explained the timing any further than that.

If you believe that pre-qualified offers are a sure sign of being ready to apply for the next card (if not clear on whether the present consensus is as to how sure a sign it is), you could check the Citi for those and see if they already show you being pre-qualified for a Citi AA Plat card (the pre-qualified offer will be for way fewer bonus miles, so use that as an indication only, don't actually apply for it).

But me, I'm fairly risk averse, so I'd just wait until I had the World Elite in hand (and I'd active it too, since why not?).

Yes, definitely provide your existing AAdvantage number on the new application. There is no record of anyone ever having been turned down for a Citi AA Plat card because they provided it (as long as they didn't violate any timing rules or have credit problems).

Btw, speaking of credit problems, if you have several other Citi cards open, take the time right now to lower the credit limit on any that you don't much credit limit on any more. That can take several weeks to filter through the system, and may help you with your next Citi AA Plat application by the time your World Elite card has arrived. (It won't help if you reduce credit limit today and apply for the next card tomorrow.)
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it.

I just had a replacement World Elite card mailed to me since I told the customer service rep that I was going to be away for a while and that I wanted the card with me.

She Fedexed the card overnight at no cost (since I'm now World Elite) and I now have the card with me.

I'm going to wait a few more days before I apply for the new plat. card after I lower my CL on the WE.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to wait a few more days before I apply for the new plat. card after I lower my CL on the WE.
As I said before, lowered CL can take weeks, not days, to filter into your "generally available CL" for a new card.

So if you're really set on applying in a few days, you may not want to lower your CL after all, and instead wait for a phone call in which they pull the CL from the existing card. Once you lower your CL, it's in "limbo" until it's automatically available for new cards (which as I said can take weeks), during which time you can no longer move that just-lowered CL from the previous card to get the new card approved during a phone conversion with a credit agent.

So while it's better to lower CL if you do it well enough ahead of time, if you can't do it much ahead of time, it may be better to go the old fashioned way, leave the CL as is, and expect to have to call them to move credit around during the approval process.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:13 pm

For any of the people who got approved for a 2nd AA Citi Platinum card after World -> World Elite conversion:

(When applying for the 2nd card)
Did you guys use different email address?
How about different street address?

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
As I said before, lowered CL can take weeks, not days, to filter into your "generally available CL" for a new card.

So if you're really set on applying in a few days, you may not want to lower your CL after all, and instead wait for a phone call in which they pull the CL from the existing card. Once you lower your CL, it's in "limbo" until it's automatically available for new cards (which as I said can take weeks), during which time you can no longer move that just-lowered CL from the previous card to get the new card approved during a phone conversion with a credit agent.

So while it's better to lower CL if you do it well enough ahead of time, if you can't do it much ahead of time, it may be better to go the old fashioned way, leave the CL as is, and expect to have to call them to move credit around during the approval process.
I see, thanks for that information. Greatly appreciated.

I only have 1 citi card open (which is the AA citi that got upgraded from World to World Elite).

If I do get denied, and once I call recon to shuffle my CL around, my question is whether they will mention (or realize) that I have another Citi AA open with them?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pritomd
I've had a Citi Plat Visa since 2012 which i downgraded to a Citi Bronze in august.

I also got a Citi Prestige in May and a Citi Premier in June.

Based on the above, I should be okay to apply for a Citi Plat MC and expect the 50K miles, right? Since I previously had the Visa? And downgrading to a Bronze wouldn't affect that?
Correct.

And since my Premier/Prestige were over 65 days ago, I should be okay applying for this Citi Plat
Correct.

and waiting 8 days, then applying for Citi Exec?
If that won't make it harder for you to get the spend done on both cards in time, yes. But why rush it at 8 days? Won't waiting a longer help with handling the spend? Keep in mind that the time it takes to get a card and be able to start doing the spend varies, and with cards 8 days apart you might possibly actually get the second card before the first card or vice versa.

Bonus question - if they offer me the WMC and in the next few months, upgrade me to WEMC, based on all of the posts, I should theoretically be able to apply for the Citi Plat again, right?
Based on everything we know at this moment, correct.

But this wouldn't work if the initial card they gave me was a WEMC, right?
Presumably so, but we've never yet heard of someone getting a Citi AA Plat initially as a WEMC, and thus we have absolutely no datapoints on this.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see, thanks for that information. Greatly appreciated.

I only have 1 citi card open (which is the AA citi that got upgraded from World to World Elite).

If I do get denied, and once I call recon to shuffle my CL around, my question is whether they will mention (or realize) that I have another Citi AA open with them?
You aren't likely to get denied. Your application may go on hold, though, pending them getting in touch with you, if they can't allocate enough CL to open the new card without moving it around.

Though if you have only 1 Citi card open, I would presume that's less likely, assuming you have a good and reasonably long credit history overall. But what's still possible is that they'll only be able to given a "token" CL on the new card (which might make $3k minimum spend harder to do), and may want to get in touch with you (or you may want to get in touch with them a couple days after you apply, if not approved yet by then) to ask if they can raise your CL on the new card by pulling some from the existing card (especially if your existing card has more than plenty).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.