Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:09 pm

I recently got my parents to each apply for the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard. They both were able to get cards and both have completed the $3K min spend.

My dad already had an AAdvantage account from frequent business travel. When he applied for the new Citi card, he entered his AAdvantage number on the application. Everything worked great. He did his min spend in the first month and paid off in the month. The day after the first CC statement was generated, his AAdvantage account got credited with the ~53000 miles.

Now, my mother is a different story. She applied a month later and had no existing AAdvantage account. I had her apply using my dad's AAdvantage number. I had not read the Wiki at the time and did not know the AAdvantage account holder's name had to match the CC account holders name. She also did the min spend and was awarded the ~53000.

However, my mom's 53000 miles never were posted to my dad's AAdvantage account and it has been 1 week since the first statement was generated. My mom's card still has the $3K balance on it though.

What should I do next? Any chance I can get my mom's miles into my dad's AAdvantage account? Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by m_bean
Any chance I can get my mom's miles into my dad's AAdvantage account? Thanks
No. You attempted what American Airlines considers to be fraud. Don't compound it by trying again, your father's account could be shut down.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:21 pm

What should I do next? Any chance I can get my mom's miles into my dad's AAdvantage account? Thanks
Have your mother call Citi and explain to them about the "mistake" and provide them with her AAdvantage account number. No guarantees but I think that would be the best option. They may need to coordinate with AA on the backend and even if they agree to help it may take some time. Under no circumstances should she ask them to post miles to your father's or anyone's account.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Have your mother call Citi and explain to them about the "mistake" and provide them with her AAdvantage account number. No guarantees but I think that would be the best option. They may need to coordinate with AA on the backend and even if they agree to help it may take some time. Under no circumstances should she ask them to post miles to your father's or anyone's account.
Understood. Thanks. I have already signed her up for her own AAdavantage account. I'll proceed with the phone call.

The only reason I though this would would work is that it worked three times with the old US Air World Mastercard. My mom, my dad, and I all got those US Air World Mastercards. We each got the 30K bonus miles after first purchase and they were all deposited into my dads account. When I did the apps, I just used his own dividend miles number.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Agreed. Just have her call and say that she got the FF#s mixed up on the application.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:06 pm

The only reason I though this would would work is that it worked three times with the old US Air World Mastercard. My mom, my dad, and I all got those US Air World Mastercards. We each got the 30K bonus miles after first purchase and they were all deposited into my dads account. When I did the apps, I just used his own dividend miles number.
That was a violation of Dividend Miles rules too, or for that matter any other FF program, as far as I know. The difference was that US Airways's IT systems were poorly designed, so it never detected the name mismatch. If any of these accounts are still open you may want to make sure that they are now linked to the primarily account holder's AAdvantage account number. Throughout you may want to ask on the thread in the Barclay's forum for that product to get expert advice. As I am not sure if there are any pitfalls to AA\Barclay's finding out that miles have been posting to an account under someone else's name.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:38 pm

That was a violation of Dividend Miles rules too, or for that matter any other FF program, as far as I know. The difference was that US Airways's IT systems were poorly designed, so it never detected the name mismatch. If any of these accounts are still open you may want to make sure that they are now linked to the primarily account holder's AAdvantage account number. Throughout you may want to ask on the thread in the Barclay's forum for that product to get expert advice. As I am not sure if there are any pitfalls to AA\Barclay's finding out that miles have been posting to an account under someone else's name.
All of those US Air/Barclays/World Mastercard accounts have long been closed. That's interesting though - was US Air known to have poorly designed IT systems at the time? This was like 3 or 4 years ago.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:34 pm

And here I am five days later to report success. I got an email from Citi noting that they've adjusted my Aadvantage account by 20K miles, just as I'd asked. Hasn't posted yet, but neither have the 30K miles from the card, as it's only been active a week. So that's 50K down and now on to the next one...

Actually just yesterday I got an offer in the mail from from Citi: 50K AA miles for opening an actual bank account with them and satisfying a few requirements, two monthly bills paid from it and $1K in spending on a debit card. I may just do that!

Originally Posted by chicagoal
Grrrr...

I goofed. (...)
So I signed up for an AA Platinum Select card, a step up from the Gold that we've had for years. Here is the goof: I signed up for the $1K spend/30K Miles offer!

I belatedly realized my mistake when the cards arrived. I called Citi and the rep said that she'd put in a request to change it to the $3K spend/50K miles offer for me. She said that such requests were routine and usually accepted.

(...)

Will report back here when I get an answer from Citi. Wish me luck!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:20 am

Important exception: If you receive a Platinum World MC which is later converted to a World Elite MC (as indicated on the back of the card), the opening of that card will no longer count for purposes of the 18-month rule. This is true not only for conversions in early 2015, but also for those in more recent months.
Note: It makes no difference when (or whether) you activate the World Elite card. If you have the WE card in hand, then the conversion on Citi's books is already complete. There is nothing magical about activating it.
I opened my AA plat 2 months ago using 4(c) and it was converted a few days ago to the world elite. I'm good to go to use 4(c) again?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:42 am

My Aadvantage Citi Gold was just converted to a World Elite. Any data points on reapplying for it and getting the 25,000 miles? thanks
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by searchingforawards
My Aadvantage Citi Gold was just converted to a World Elite. Any data points on reapplying for it and getting the 25,000 miles? thanks
AFAIK this is brand new information. Thank you! I don't think we have any data points on the conversion of a Gold card from W to WE. This may turn out to be very good news.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
When did you apply for the card?
My husband has his for 2 weeks now and nothing new.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
AFAIK this is brand new information. Thank you! I don't think we have any data points on the conversion of a Gold card from W to WE. This may turn out to be very good news.
Agreed that this is a new & very interesting turn of events. I'd be willing to bet that W:WE conversions have the same effect on all card products, in which case let the Games begin!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:23 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by beltway
Agreed that this is a new & very interesting turn of events. I'd be willing to bet that W:WE conversions have the same effect on all card products, in which case let the Games begin!
My AA Gold Mastercard was also converted to WE. I believe it took about 6 weeks. Looks like I have another 53000->79000 AA miles coming soon
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:40 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by bigshooter
My AA Gold Mastercard was also converted to WE. I believe it took about 6 weeks. Looks like I have another 53000->79000 AA miles coming soon
Just decided to apply with 4c for my second Platinum (first was in March) since it had been ~80 days since my last personal app and probably 60 or so since my business app.

Instant approval for $15.5k (guess lowering all the limits last week worked) and will see if I get the bonus or not. If I don't I guess I still get 3024 miles for ~$24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.