Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
For those have done the Triple Dip, did y'all cancel the first card before doing the triple dip?

I know Citi normally does not care how many cards one has, but when the number starts to get above 6 or 7, with each one's CL is 5K or the multiples of, things become a bit less clear-cut... Some pruning would be needed.
I just lowered a WE line to $2,000; the lowest they said they could go (by SM).

My wife has a WE line of $1,500 which is what she was approved for.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:29 am

On top of that., since you mentioned earlier in this thread, you dont travel, then the AA card is no use to you because you cannot use it statement credit or gift card. It earns AA miles, NOT Citi points as you mentioned in your earlier post.
You also cannot "sell" the miles if you ever think about this idea. There is a long-running thread in AA forum on how AA catches people doing so (by sting operation no less).
I think you answered lot of what's on my mind. I have to first figure out where I'm going to use miles. As you said, it is not easy now days to sell miles, miles expire in 18 months, I go to Asia once very 3-4 years so I might be able to use miles there.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
miles expire in 18 months.
AA miles do NOT expire in 18 months. They expire if you have no activity on your AA account for 18 months. Spend one $ on an AA cc, or spend one $ thru a shopping portal that gives out AA miles, regardless of the cc used, etc. once every 17+ months, and the miles never expire.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
AA miles do NOT expire in 18 months. They expire if you have no activity on your AA account for 18 months. Spend one $ on an AA cc, or spend one $ thru a shopping portal that gives out AA miles, regardless of the cc used, etc. once every 17+ months, and the miles never expire.
You are correct. The problem is I'm not going to keep these accounts open after few months, because they have fees etc so how do you create some activity on CC to keep extendending this 18 months time line to eternity?

Did you mean to say there are portals that gives you AA miles and you can use any CC you want, in that case it would definitely work.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AOPA
You are correct. The problem is I'm not going to keep these accounts open after few months, because they have fees etc so how do you create some activity on CC to keep extendending this 18 months time line to eternity?

Did you mean to say there are portals that gives you AA miles and you can use any CC you want, in that case it would definitely work.
AA dining.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

your AF does not come until the 1st Anniversary. That is 12 months from now. A statement cycle before your intended cancellation, put $1 to the card for goodness sake. That extend your AA account for another 18 months.

Also as someone said, sign up AA dining and you are set, free to change your linked CC anytime.

Ever rent a car? Stay a hotel? Shop online? All these can generate activities on your AAdvantage account.

However, if all your goals of getting cards are for the sign up bonuses then turn the bonuses to cash or cash equivalent, you have applied the WRONG CARD. Simple as that. You need to do a better homework before this pursuit.

Do some research to find out what the program is for before blindly signing up a card just because there is seemingly a nice bonus. If that bonus is not anything you can use, so what is the point?

Finally, selling miles has never been easy, and involves high risk. Go do some reading in AA forum. Even an innocent, long standing AA customer who was a victim of a hacker, who stole the miles from this person and in turn sold the miles to a broker, was being treated by AA like he was the bad guy and being put on lengthy investigation before restoring his account.

Your idea of selling miles / redeeming miles for others in exchange for valuables could seriously backfire.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:37 am

Your idea of selling miles / redeeming miles for others in exchange for valuables could seriously backfire.
I have done just that on BA miles, United, AA without any issues few years ago, doesn't mean it will always be flawless and I'm aware that things are changing. Worst case, you lose miles and who cares about AA account anyway, it's not like you won't be able to fly AA if you have to.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:51 am

I have done just that on BA miles, United, AA without any issues few years ago, doesn't mean it will always be flawless and I'm aware that things are changing. Worst case, you lose miles and who cares about AA account anyway, it's not like you won't be able to fly AA if you have to.
Who indeed. Another knowing warrior weighs in.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct. The problem is I'm not going to keep these accounts open after few months, because they have fees etc
What fees?

Ie, on paper they have annual fees, but not in practice not so often. See here:
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:33 pm

So, I recently got an alert saying a new card was on its way.

I called Citi to check if it was a World Elite, and they indeed confirmed it was.

Now, my question is:
• Do i need to have the physical world elite card already activated before applying for a new application?

Or can I apply even without the new physical card?

• Also, Do I provide my current existing AAdvantage number with this new application? Or should I add my AAdvantage number later?

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
The problem is I'm not going to keep these accounts open after few months, because they have fees etc so how do you create some activity on CC to keep extendending this 18 months time line to eternity?
Ever heard of product changing/downgrading/converting your $95 Platinum to the no annual fee Citi AAdvantage Bronze card?

You've been given some excellent tips. Now get busy. You have a lot of reading to do.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
I lower the limit then cancel them. Just like the exec cards.
Sorry but doesn't it reset the 18-month clock when you cancel a WE card? I thought the safest way is to keep all of the AA WE cards open, which personally I don't like doing it either.

What is the maximum number of AA cards people have kept open until Citi stop approving new ones?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by lw7878
Sorry but doesn't it reset the 18-month clock when you cancel a WE card? I thought the safest way is to keep all of the AA WE cards open, which personally I don't like doing it either.

What is the maximum number of AA cards people have kept open until Citi stop approving new ones?
back in the exec days we just open/close every 30-45days. after more than a dozen, there has not been any issues.

as #2, citi cares more of total available credit vs # of cards.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:41 pm

Hi - I applied for the citi gold credit card and got the 25k bonus after meeting the $750 spending requirement in the first month. Part of that spending was an airline ticket, which just got canceled by the airline company yesterday due to a schedule change. My only option is cancel the itinerary and get a refund. Now that it's over a month after I've got the 25k bonus points, and a refund will bring my spending below the $750 threshold....will AA claw back the bonus if I cancel that airline ticket purchase?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by psychostan
Hi - I applied for the citi gold credit card and got the 25k bonus after meeting the $750 spending requirement in the first month. Part of that spending was an airline ticket, which just got canceled by the airline company yesterday due to a schedule change. My only option is cancel the itinerary and get a refund. Now that it's over a month after I've got the 25k bonus points, and a refund will bring my spending below the $750 threshold....will AA claw back the bonus if I cancel that airline ticket purchase?

Thanks!
With Citi, there should be no clawback. However, it is advisable to spend an amount equal to the price of the ticket on that card so it does not wind up with a negative statement balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.