Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bobert24
That's correct. $2k is the lowest CL available for the platinum card.
I would say that's pretty interesting given the fact that they only approved for me a $1.8k limit on this card. Saying I had reached some top level max with Citi. (Then 1 week later gave me an auto CLI for $2k on another card.)

I fear though that the $1.8k limit may keep me from converting over to Elite. Maybe there is some top level limit for a card to be Elite vs World, e.g. like Visa Signature cards (use to?) have a minimum of $5k CL.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
So is it better to close my 2 oldest WE cards to free up the $5 K CL on each, or reduce both of them to 2 k and reduce my Biz card by 10K ? or cancel the 2 personal and reduce the CL on the Biz card .

Heard different opinions on which frees up CL faster . Cancelling card versus reducing CL and keeping cards . Does anyone know for certain?

might that jeopardize my newest (one months old W from converting ) and prevent me from getting another AA in the near future , via auto approval ?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by MadMadso
#5 just for me within the year. My spouse has fewer because we were also getting Hilton, Thank You, etc.
ok thanks! As Vader would say - Impressive.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:23 am

I have a targeted offer for a Citi AA Platinum for 60k point bonus. Is it worth signing up for even with the devaluation?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
I have a targeted offer for a Citi AA Platinum for 60k point bonus. Is it worth signing up for even with the devaluation?
I would as I still find it a good deal, the other two major mainline US carriers programs are no better.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Follow up:

My speculation appears to be correct.

As summarized above, she had a citi plat select world card, that was I closed before it was converted to WE. She applied, received a plat select world card but no bonus. We have waited for it to convert to WE, and now in her preapproved offers you may be interested in, there is a 50k plat select. Further more, I was recently approved for my 3rd plat select world card last week and the welcome letter references the bonus 50k.
Carl, did you confirm that your wife being eligible the 50k bonus? I am trying the same thing for my wife. She had an old W MC that was 3 years old and was NOT converted to WE. We received annual fee waiver first 2 years but not third year. In the meantime, she applied and received 3 W>WE cards and got bonus for all 3. Now we had to close the old W card which supposedly resulted in resetting the 18 months clock.

I am trying your suggestion by applying for a new card, knowing that we will not get a bonus for it, then wait until it converts to WE. After that we can apply again for another W card and hopefully the W>WE cycle continues and she is eligible for bonus again without waiting for 18 months.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Heard different opinions on which frees up CL faster . Cancelling card versus reducing CL and keeping cards . Does anyone know for certain?
I've always heard it said as gospel that decreasing CL while keeping a card open is at least several times faster than just closing a card with the total CL intact.

If you want to close the card, the way to go about that is to lower the card's CL to the minimum the bank will allow, and wait for that to show up on your cc webpage. Then close the card, now that you have removed as much CL as possible. I'd expect it to take at least several weeks for the reduced CL to become available for new apps, although either no one really knows, or maybe it's YMMV.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobert24
That's correct. $2k is the lowest CL available for the platinum card.
The W is also a Platinum card. Does the $2K also apply to W?

Apparently Citi is willing to open the AA card below $2K though based on data pts reported in this history of this product.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I was offered $1500 yesterday when opening one of these (personal World MC Plat Select). I have had one as low as $1000 vi CL reduction, but it could have been a Visa. Lower than $2K is definitely a possibility.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I've always heard it said as gospel that decreasing CL while keeping a card open is at least several times faster than just closing a card with the total CL intact.

If you want to close the card, the way to go about that is to lower the card's CL to the minimum the bank will allow, and wait for that to show up on your cc webpage. Then close the card, now that you have removed as much CL as possible. I'd expect it to take at least several weeks for the reduced CL to become available for new apps, although either no one really knows, or maybe it's YMMV.
Always is a long time. For years, evidence was that lowering CLs freed up credit quickly, while credit from closed cards could be tied up for up to 6 months. Every datapoint I've seen over the past ~8 months (may be up to a year) suggests that this is no longer true and that credit is now freed up very quickly after CL reductions as well as card closures.

Old habits and mindsets die hard, hence we have AoR recommendations, people calling Chase recon for pending apps and various other outdated practices. At least this one doesn't actually hurt you.

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Dec 10, 2015 at 8:30 pm
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I would say that's pretty interesting given the fact that they only approved for me a $1.8k limit on this card. Saying I had reached some top level max with Citi. (Then 1 week later gave me an auto CLI for $2k on another card.)

I fear though that the $1.8k limit may keep me from converting over to Elite. Maybe there is some top level limit for a card to be Elite vs World, e.g. like Visa Signature cards (use to?) have a minimum of $5k CL.
My wife had a card auto approved at $1.5k. She met the $3k spend within a month by making 2 or 3 payments before the statement date. W > WE conversion happened at statement close just like all the others. $1.5k limit remains.

All other Platinum lines I have tried to reduce, Citi said $2k was the minimum.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
My wife had a card auto approved at $1.5k. She met the $3k spend within a month by making 2 or 3 payments before the statement date. W > WE conversion happened at statement close just like all the others. $1.5k limit remains.

All other Platinum lines I have tried to reduce, Citi said $2k was the minimum.
Thanks for this data point. I will continue to wait then. It's only been a month and a half since I got the card. I met min spend before second statement closed this week.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 7:20 am

A friend of mine has an AA card that was opened in 2010 and has been converted from VISA to WE. She is thinking to close this card because AF is due and Citi won't give her any retention bonus. I told her to downgrade the card but she doesn't want to do that.

From the recent data points, closing W->WE cards don't seem to trigger the 18-month clock. But, what about closing a VISA->WE card? Thanks!

Data point. My 5-year-old VISA was finally converted to MC World Elite in September. I knew there was a fear of triggering the 18 months clock when Citi converted an old card to WE. But I took the risk and did nothing to the VISA card. After receiving the new VISA->WE card, I was approved for a new MC World and the Welcome letter showed the 50,000 miles sign up bonus. Thus, by receiving a new WE thru the VISA->WE conversion process didn't prevent me from getting the sign up bonus.

Last edited by lw7878; Dec 11, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 11, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lw7878
A friend of mine has an AA card that was opened in 2010 and has been converted from VISA to WE. She is thinking to close this card because AF is due and Citi won't give her any retention bonus. I told her to downgrade the card but she doesn't want to do that.

From the recent data points, closing W->WE cards don't seem to trigger the 18-month clock. But, what about closing a VISA->WE card? Thanks!

Data point. My 5-year-old VISA was finally converted to MC World Elite in September. I knew there was a fear of triggering the 18 months clock by converting an old card to WE but I took the risk. In November, I was approved for a new MC World and the Welcome letter showed the 50,000 miles sign up bonus.
Just to be certain I understand . You initiated the conversion ?

" I knew there was a fear of triggering the 18 months clock by converting an old card to WE but I took the risk. "

Or you took the risk in applying ?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Just to be certain I understand . You initiated the conversion ?

" I knew there was a fear of triggering the 18 months clock by converting an old card to WE but I took the risk. "

Or you took the risk in applying ?
Maybe I should "....fear of triggering the 18 months clock when Citi converted an old card to WE." And, I took the risk of not closing the VISA card. As mentioned in other posts, cardholders cannot initiate the conversion.

So, anyone knows the answer for this question: Would closing a VISA->WE card trigger the 18-month clock? TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.