Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
My guesstimate is, instead of "that Citi's "same card" algorithms are currently coded it's an exception." it is more like once the W is convered to WE, it "lost" the history, i.e. in the system, it looks as if you have NOT ever applied that card therefore you do not violate the 18 months rule when you apply another one. I strongly suspect this is what happens. Given WE has never been a card you could apply, the open / close of it does not affect the application of W. I came to this conclusion after reading several reports that closing the WE does not affect the bonus on the subsequent W. When you think it thru with a much simpler logic, it makes sense at least to me why the loophole exists, and why closing the existing WE does not affect future W - because the previous Ws all lost their traces in the system, i.e. their "former lives" of being Ws are completely erased from the records!
So when I get home in mid Dec I will have a NEW W plat card waiting for me in the mailbox , plus 2 PLAT select WE and one Gold WE that I received the bonus on all three .

I guess I can decide to apply for another 25 K Gold Card , and maybe later on a Plat W card when the Dec card converts , but should I start Canceling the WE s to free up credit ?

Confusing to me 😚
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:32 am

Just got approved after a quick call for the Citi AA plat using link 4c.

I applied exactly 18 months after the last closed card. Is it sure I will get the bonus? The wiki says Citi approves cards and does not give the bonus. Do I need to wait for the letter to confirm this?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:44 am

Interesting question I had and didn't see it in the few pages I browsed before posting:I received 2 offers for 60k. They each have their own code. I used the first and was wondering if I can use the second to get the bonus again. On the main page it states that using a targeted offer may bypass the 18 month policy. The targeted offer does not make any mention of the 18 month policy as well.

Any idea if I would get the bonus twice if I applied for the second as well?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by bobby21
Just got approved after a quick call for the Citi AA plat using link 4c.

I applied exactly 18 months after the last closed card. Is it sure I will get the bonus? The wiki says Citi approves cards and does not give the bonus. Do I need to wait for the letter to confirm this?
Most likely you will get the bonus....next time ask during the call with Citi. (usually I ask during secure chat if I apply during normal business hours and they don't approve instantly) The letter should state bonus if personal card.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mileman88
Interesting question I had and didn't see it in the few pages I browsed before posting:I received 2 offers for 60k. They each have their own code. I used the first and was wondering if I can use the second to get the bonus again. On the main page it states that using a targeted offer may bypass the 18 month policy. The targeted offer does not make any mention of the 18 month policy as well.

Any idea if I would get the bonus twice if I applied for the second as well?
would be an interesting datapoint. The first 60k card is a World card I bet, but with no 18-month language I am not sure if you apply for the second 60k world card if you would be rejected or not. I am confident if your first 60k card is converted to World Elite soon then you would be golden to apply for the 2nd 60k card.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:37 pm

closed 2 WE cards in June, just approved for a W card and confirmed bonus.

Can I have an open biz card in Biz A and have much chance of getting another card for Biz B?

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Dec 4, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards
So I opened up a Citi Platinum, Nov 14th. Funded my Citigold checking account $11,000 on December 2nd with that Platinum. 50,000 miles posted to my AA account on Dec 3rd plus a 22,00 miles on a CBAA WORLD MASTERCARD PURCH ($11,000 x 2?).

Did I just get extremely good timing. And why double points on that CitiGold fund?

Edit: I loaded $12,000 on my card and also sent them a message to add an extra 10k to match the 60k offer, makes sense now. Just good timing apparently!

Last edited by rideride2; Dec 5, 2015 at 9:23 am Reason: Update
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rideride2
So I opened up a Citi Platinum, Nov 14th. Funded my Citigold checking account $11,000 on December 2nd with that Platinum. 50,000 miles posted to my AA account on Dec 3rd plus a 22,00 miles on a CBAA WORLD MASTERCARD PURCH ($11,000 x 2?).

Did I just get extremely good timing. And why double points on that CitiGold fund?

Edit: I loaded $12,000 on my card and also sent them a message to add an extra 10k to match the 60k offer, makes sense now. Just good timing apparently!

Please share wording of SM for match . Thanks !
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:34 pm

A question for those who have requested & received a 10K bonus to match the 60K offer: has anyone done so for a business card, or are our data points only for personal Citi AA cards?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:07 pm

Update

9/9/13 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC (50K bonus posted) - {Still open}
1/15/15 Citi AA Business MC (50K bonus posted) -{Closed Card and Account on 6/30/15}
3/24/15 Citi AA Gold MC (25K bonus posted) -{got converted to MC World Elite somewhere in between Closed card on 6/25/15}
4/20/15 Citi TY Premier MC Elite (50K TY posted) - {Still open}
7/10/15 Declined for Citi AA Bus 8b link - Reason Max number of accounts allowed- Reapply in 18 months
7/21/15 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - {Still open -activated the MC World Elite on 9/14/15; 50K bonus posted on 10/7/15}
10/7/15 3rd Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - {Still open; 50K bonus posted on 11/14/15 - -activated the MC World Elite on 12/5/15- Also unrelated but got the 60K offer matched via SM today}

Not opening another card until January though. Hope its still available then
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
closed 2 WE cards in June, just approved for a W card and confirmed bonus.

Can I have an open biz card in Biz A and have much chance of getting another card for Biz B?
Thanks for the data point. Keep us updated if bonus posts. Hope we can get more people to confirm that closure of a WE doesn't affect bonus on new W's in the future.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
A question for those who have requested & received a 10K bonus to match the 60K offer: has anyone done so for a business card, or are our data points only for personal Citi AA cards?
AFAIK there is no 60K offer for business cards, so any such attempt would not be successful.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by sheldor
The reconsideration line supervisor told me today that it was rejected because I had applied for another card before the citi app. on the same day. Hopefully I can turn in around in my favor when I write to Exec. office
I was approved in my 4th call to recon. i had received a letter from citi stating that the reason for my denial was "too many inquiries". In the past 6 months I have had a total of 3 inquiries. This is my first citi card
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:28 pm

Converting Platinum World MC to Bronze (18 month rule come into play?)

Does anyone know how converting from a Platinum World MC to Bronze to avoid the annual fee when it comes due affects how Citi views applying for another World MC (or other Citi AAdvantage card with a signup bonus)? Does this count as closing an account even if the account number stays the same and a new credit account isn't actually opened? I am trying to determine if converting to a no-fee lower-end Aadvantage card is treated just like closing the card when it comes to the 18 month rule.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Does anyone know how converting from a Platinum World MC to Bronze to avoid the annual fee when it comes due affects how Citi views applying for another World MC (or other Citi AAdvantage card with a signup bonus)? Does this count as closing an account even if the account number stays the same and a new credit account isn't actually opened? I am trying to determine if converting to a no-fee lower-end Aadvantage card is treated just like closing the card when it comes to the 18 month rule.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
I have always got my annual fee refunded on my citi AA cards. If you intend to keep the card, then just call them when the annual fee shows up and tell them you want to close the card. They will give you some kind of an offer, For me it was spend $95 in 2 billing cycles and you will get $95 credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.