Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Someone might be me. And it's worked X 4 now.
THANKS!! Good deal.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D93
Is Citi product changing the AA Gold from W to WE also?
Originally Posted by ninim2200
Yes.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except it's not considered a product change. It's simply an upgrade of the "level" of the card.
Originally Posted by D93
So it won't work for the W:WE loophole?
Huh? The W->WE loophole is a loophole because according to logic it shouldn't exist, but because of some strange way that Citi's "same card" algorithms are currently coded it's an exception.

As since it's a loophole, it could be "fixed" (from Citi's perspective) at any point. At that point, 18-month rules would start treating W's and WE's the same presumably*.

Keep in mind that Citi never "announced" the W->WE loophole. We just discovered it here through "crowd-sourced" data.

* And because of this, it's still recommended that you do WE card closes about the same time as W card opens, in case / when the loophole goes away, to not start unnecessary new 18-month clocks. Since Citi never announced the W->WE loophole, I severely doubt they will announce when / if it has gone away. We'll only figure out when / if it has gone away through more "crowd-sourced" data. (And remember, 18-month clocks look backwards, not forwards, so it matters whether 18-month clocks apply to WE 18 months from now, not whether they apply today, which they don't.)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
WTH! I was just denied for the 60k bonus match. How did so many of you others get it approved?!?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
WTH! I was just denied for the 60k bonus match. How did so many of you others get it approved?!?
a good datapoint would be how did you ask for the match ... how was the request worded....so maybe those successful can see if any noticeable differences or if Citi is closing this door.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? The W->WE loophole is a loophole because according to logic it shouldn't exist, but because of some strange way that Citi's "same card" algorithms are currently coded it's an exception.

As since it's a loophole, it could be "fixed" (from Citi's perspective) at any point. At that point, 18-month rules would start treating W's and WE's the same presumably*.

Keep in mind that Citi never "announced" the W->WE loophole. We just discovered it here through "crowd-sourced" data.

* And because of this, it's still recommended that you do WE card closes about the same time as W card opens, in case / when the loophole goes away, to not start unnecessary new 18-month clocks. Since Citi never announced the W->WE loophole, I severely doubt they will announce when / if it has gone away. We'll only figure out when / if it has gone away through more "crowd-sourced" data. (And remember, 18-month clocks look backwards, not forwards, so it matters whether 18-month clocks apply to WE 18 months from now, not whether they apply today, which they don't.)
My guesstimate is, instead of "that Citi's "same card" algorithms are currently coded it's an exception." it is more like once the W is convered to WE, it "lost" the history, i.e. in the system, it looks as if you have NOT ever applied that card therefore you do not violate the 18 months rule when you apply another one. I strongly suspect this is what happens. Given WE has never been a card you could apply, the open / close of it does not affect the application of W. I came to this conclusion after reading several reports that closing the WE does not affect the bonus on the subsequent W. When you think it thru with a much simpler logic, it makes sense at least to me why the loophole exists, and why closing the existing WE does not affect future W - because the previous Ws all lost their traces in the system, i.e. their "former lives" of being Ws are completely erased from the records!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by epaairnow
a good datapoint would be how did you ask for the match ... how was the request worded....so maybe those successful can see if any noticeable differences or if Citi is closing this door.
I said that after I applied, I noticed a mailer for the 60k bonus. I assumed that I was supposed to say that I received the mailer directly and not that a friend had it right?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:46 pm

I said that after I applied, I noticed a mailer for the 60k bonus. I assumed that I was supposed to say that I received the mailer directly and not that a friend had it right?
hmmm, I would have expected like you to get the match based on the above.

Only difference for me was that I said I was recently approved for World card with 50k bonus but then received a mailer for the same card with 60k bonus miles, can you please match that offer. There response was ok and we are glad to have you as a Citi customer blah blah blah.

Maybe if others get rejected we can all read between the lines to see if Citi is clamping down or is it how specifically we ask? Could be luck, the right rep making the decision, the right choice of words or all of the above.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My guesstimate is, instead of "that Citi's "same card" algorithms are currently coded it's an exception." it is more like once the W is convered to WE, it "lost" the history, i.e. in the system, it looks as if you have NOT ever applied that card therefore you do not violate the 18 months rule when you apply another one. I strongly suspect this is what happens. Given WE has never been a card you could apply, the open / close of it does not affect the application of W. I came to this conclusion after reading several reports that closing the WE does not affect the bonus on the subsequent W. When you think it thru with a much simpler logic, it makes sense at least to me why the loophole exists, and why closing the existing WE does not affect future W - because the previous Ws all lost their traces in the system, i.e. their "former lives" of being Ws are completely erased from the records!
I have been thinking this as well. Especially since WE is something you can't apply for originally.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:48 pm

Only difference for me was that I said I was recently approved for World card with 50k bonus but then received a mailer for the same card with 60k bonus miles, can you please match that offer. There response was ok and we are glad to have you as a Citi customer blah blah blah.

Maybe if others get rejected we can all read between the lines to see if Citi is clamping down or is it how specifically we ask? Could be luck, the right rep making the decision, the right choice of words or all of the above.
Yea what you said is basically the same thing that I said. I should also add that I was just approved for this card at the end of Oct.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium

I sent a very similar message and was told I would see the extra 10K miles within 1-2 statements. My latest card was approved in mid Nov if that makes any difference
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:54 pm

i would send another message and see what happens.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:26 pm

Success in applying for my wife's 3rd Plat this year, and my second one. Will hopefully come back in a week or so to report bonus language in letter.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:04 pm

So I replied back to the first decline. Someone else responded to me. She apologized for the incorrect information and approved the offer!

Funny thing though. I reread the decline message and somehow I missed two important things. 1-The message wasn't even addressed to me! Coincidentally it was my father's name (who isn't on the account) lol. 2- it called out the wrong last four digits of the card. If I would have noticed that, I would have known it was incorrect.

Anyways, thanks to whoever figured this bonus out!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:58 pm

Statement closed tonight and the 10k bonus miles showed up like this:

Purchase: 3,XXX
Adjustments: 10,000
New Customer Bonus: 50,000
Total: 63,XXX
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Statement closed tonight and the 10k bonus miles showed up like this:

Purchase: 3,XXX
Adjustments: 10,000
New Customer Bonus: 50,000
Total: 63,XXX
Thanks for the report---nice to see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.