Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
7/21/15 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - {Still open -approved via chat-got activated the MC World Elite on 9/14/15; 50K bonus posted today - 10/7/15}
10/7/15 3rd Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - approved via chat-moved credit from existing personal AAs and confirmed 50K miles offer on same chat

FYI-the pre-qualified offer was never available for me
Sorry, I'm a little behind on the recent citi AA cards rules. Is the reason that you get your 3rd Plat MC in such a short period of time because the 2nd Plat MC becomes a World Elite? How do you get it to become a World Elite?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:46 pm

What's the latest ? Last month I got Citi Thank you point, can I apply for one more Citi card and get 50K point after meeting the spending requirement?

Many posts here says, it is churnable, but the posts are from 2013. Not sure what the latest is on this.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by allanfan
Sorry, I'm a little behind on the recent citi AA cards rules. Is the reason that you get your 3rd Plat MC in such a short period of time because the 2nd Plat MC becomes a World Elite? How do you get it to become a World Elite?
As per most data points on this thread, recent Citi AAplatinum Personal apps have received a MC card and then autoconverted to a MC ELite within 2 statements or so. The conversion frees you of the 18 month rule from this app. My first citi AAplat from 2013 is still an MC and never got converted, so i waited for 18+ months to apply for 2nd and just 3 months for 3rd (due to Elite conversion). Will update after meeting spend for bonus.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
9/9/13 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC (50K bonus posted) - {Still open}
1/15/15 Citi AA Business MC (50K bonus posted) -{Closed Card and Account on 6/30/15}
3/24/15 Citi AA Gold MC (25K bonus posted) -{got converted to MC World Elite somewhere in between Closed card on 6/25/15}
4/20/15 Citi TY Premier MC Elite (50K TY posted) - {Still open}
7/10/15 Declined for Citi AA Bus 8b link - Reason Max number of accounts allowed- Reapply in 18 months
7/21/15 Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - {Still open -approved via chat-got activated the MC World Elite on 9/14/15; 50K bonus posted today - 10/7/15}
10/7/15 3rd Citi Personal Platinum AA MC - 4c link - approved via chat-moved credit from existing personal AAs and confirmed 50K miles offer on same chat

FYI-the pre-qualified offer was never available for me
I'm more than a little skeptical of the pre-qual page as a reliable indicator of eligibility. Here's why:
  • Aug 2013 Applied for/rec'd Plat AA Visa
  • May 2015 Visa converted to Plat MC (#1)
  • May 2015 (one day later) Applied for/rec'd Plat World MC (#2)
  • June 2015 World MC (#2) converted to World Elite
  • Aug 2015 Applied for/rec'd Plat AA World MC (#3)
  • Aug 2015 (later same day) Closed card #1
You'd think that having closed card #1 very recently, I'd be ineligible for pre-qual offers. Nope: website showing me a 30K offer today. So unless a Visa->MC card completely disappears as a factor, even when you close it post-conversion, seeing a pre-qual offer does not imply churn eligibility.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by beltway; Oct 8, 2015 at 5:41 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I'm more than a little skeptical of the pre-qual page as a reliable indicator of eligibility. Here's why:

You'd think that having closed card #1 very recently, I'd be ineligible for pre-qual offers. Nope: website showing me a 30K offer today. So unless a Visa->MC card completely disappears as a factor, even when you close it post-conversion, seeing a pre-qual offer is not imply churn eligibility.

This is my experiment with World- world elite and the prequalified offers:

Applied for my platinum card on 8/5, prior card was closed over 18 months prior, my prequalified offer didn't show platinum cards until last week it started showing on the website, i checked my account today and there was a message that they mailed me new card. i am not sure what this means, but i am sure going to apply again after i activate my new world elite card.

The question that i have and probably others have it too is "has anyone applied after seeing prequalified platinum and didn't get the miles?" not sure what the answer is.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
What's the latest ? Last month I got Citi Thank you point, can I apply for one more Citi card and get 50K point after meeting the spending requirement?

Many posts here says, it is churnable, but the posts are from 2013. Not sure what the latest is on this.
"Citi Thank you point" is different that "AA platinum, Gold or business", if this was your question.

I think you need to provide more data to your question to be properly answered.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:10 am

Received my 2nd AA bonus 2 days ago and upon logging in, theres a notice of a new card coming my way (World Elite conversion possibly?)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:22 am

I have had Citi AA card before, the A/c was closed six months ago. Am I eligible for bonus again? Right now on Citi website, they are offering 30,000 points for AA cards, I think I should wait till they come out with 50,000 offer.

How many Citi cards you can have at a time? I currently have Citi dividend and City Thank you premier.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
Right now on Citi website, they are offering 30,000 points for AA cards, I think I should wait till they come out with 50,000 offer.

How many Citi cards you can have at a time? I currently have Citi dividend and City Thank you premier.
Why wait----3 links for personal AA World MC 50k right here on the wiki! BTW the Wiki has a lot of great information... :-)

How many cards at one time---don't know the limit but I believe some have 10+ Citi cards of various varieties at a given time.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
This is my experiment with World- world elite and the prequalified offers:

Applied for my platinum card on 8/5, prior card was closed over 18 months prior, my prequalified offer didn't show platinum cards until last week it started showing on the website, i checked my account today and there was a message that they mailed me new card. i am not sure what this means, but i am sure going to apply again after i activate my new world elite card.

The question that i have and probably others have it too is "has anyone applied after seeing prequalified platinum and didn't get the miles?" not sure what the answer is.
You just have to watch the timing. The offer page is not in real time. I've had it take as much as 25 days to disappear after I've applied, and as little as 3 day to appear after conversion.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by MadMadso
You just have to watch the timing. The offer page is not in real time. I've had it take as much as 25 days to disappear after I've applied, and as little as 3 day to appear after conversion.
So what are we saying here? It's best to activate the new WE before applying again just to be safe? That sounds reasonable to me. I don't think I'm willing to chance otherwise without many more data points.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:28 am

You'd think that having closed card #1 very recently, I'd be ineligible for pre-qual offers. Nope: website showing me a 30K offer today. So unless a Visa->MC card completely disappears as a factor, even when you close it post-conversion, seeing a pre-qual offer does not imply churn eligibility.

Is your World MC # 3 from August 2015 getting converted to WE according to Citi Website ( new card getting mailed to you and the language describing MC # 3 changed to Platinum Select from Platinum Select World Master Card)? If "Yes" then Visa to MC conversion would be irrelevant to 18 months rule and you might be good to go as soon as you receive and activate WE pertaining to MC # 3
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
So what are we saying here? It's best to activate the new WE before applying again just to be safe? That sounds reasonable to me. I don't think I'm willing to chance otherwise without many more data points.
Looks like it is best to activate your WE before you do anything else
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by boris10475
Is your World MC # 3 from August 2015 getting converted to WE according to Citi Website ( new card getting mailed to you and the language describing MC # 3 changed to Platinum Select from Platinum Select World Master Card)?
It appears so, but I have yet to receive or activate card #3WE.

If "Yes" then Visa to MC conversion would be irrelevant to 18 months rule and you might be good to go as soon as you receive and activate WE pertaining to MC # 3
Two reactions to this:

1) My original point was reliability (or not) of pre-qual offers appearing. If, as my current pre-quals suggest, I'm already eligible for another Plat MC, then activating card #3WE must be irrelevant.

2) If I am indeed churn-eligible, something is making Citi ignore my recent closure of card #1. If it's not something related to card #1 itself (and its peculiar status as a former Visa), then--hold onto your hat--my latest World->World Elite conversion has wiped the entire slate clean. If that's correct, <picture of my jaw hitting the floor>.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:06 pm

FWIW, I didn't activate my first WE card and was eligible for a second bonus.

(I haven't received the bonus for card #2 yet but it does say "Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership." on the website.)

Looks like WE #2 is on the way and I am super tempted to triple dip but I'm a bit nervous to sour my relationship with citi. Looks like some of you are going for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.