Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
You should read the rule again: open/close of a MasterCard.
AHH

happen to know if that means MC in general, or just AA MC?

god that is such a rookie question, but i just want to ask it anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by bencahn1
AHH

happen to know if that means MC in general, or just AA MC?

god that is such a rookie question, but i just want to ask it anyway.
Well, the combination of (a) people who won't read the wiki, and (b) Beltway's imprecise language, is lethal.

There is actually no rule about "open/close of [any] Mastercard", or even ""open/close of [any AA] Mastercard". The rule is very precise.

Please read the wiki. I'm begging you.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Well, the combination of (a) people who won't read the wiki, and (b) Beltway's imprecise language, is lethal.
I'm pretty comfortable asserting that the context -- a statement about AA Amex & Visa cards -- made clear this was about the AA Platinum MC. But chacun à son goût.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:01 pm

I'm pretty comfortable asserting that the context -- a statement about AA Amex & Visa cards -- made clear this was about the AA Platinum MC. But chacun à son goût.

ugh, im embarrassed. normally excellent about reading the wiki, which ALWAYS answers all my questions.

i'd read it, but then simply didn't re-read upon learning about the whole MC thing (haven't applied for an AA card in 2+ years).

i'll be a good boy, i promise!

thanks, gang.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:20 pm

I tearfully confess to plagiarism.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashap
Thank you!!! I found it, all is well :-)
Since it helped you, and since I thought that how to find it is kind of non-obvious, I just added a version of that explanation to the wiki as FAQ 17.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Since it helped you, and since I thought that how to find it is kind of non-obvious, I just added a version of that explanation to the wiki as FAQ 17.
Excellent idea; thank you for adding that. I thought it made sense to put that earlier in this sequence, so I moved it to item number 9.

Last edited by beltway; Oct 1, 2015 at 9:32 pm
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I went to many years of college and grad school and still don't understand this wiki. I've read it three times fully, and two months worth of posts, and I'm still confused. Which isn't to say I'm the smartest guy in the room, but I'm pretty certain many of us read it and still don't understand all of it. I greatly appreciate that people update it, but to those of us who come here rarely, there are things that don't make a lot of sense in this wiki compared to others. The multiple card types, changed rules, and now forced conversions, elite versus world elite, etc. are a lot more than what I realized or expected. So just "begging" people to read the wiki is, frankly, a waste of a post, even though in many cases that will solve problems.

Again I appreciate those who take time to update it.

Last edited by maverick17; Oct 2, 2015 at 4:17 am
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by maverick17
I went to many years of college and grad school and still don't understand this wiki. I've read it three times fully, and two months worth of posts, and I'm still confused. Which isn't to say I'm the smartest guy in the room, but I'm pretty certain many of us read it and still don't understand all of it. I greatly appreciate that people update it, but to those of us who come here rarely, there are things that don't make a lot of sense in this wiki compared to others. The multiple card types, changed rules, and now forced conversions, elite versus world elite, etc. are a lot more than what I realized or expected. So just "begging" people to read the wiki is, frankly, a waste of a post, even though in many cases that will solve problems.
I think there are two different issues here:

1. People asking questions for which the wiki provides an unambiguous and clear answer. I refer people to the wiki as frequently as anyone, but I don't do it reflexively (either here or in other threads). It often happens that someone posts a question to which my initial mental response is "Good God, read the damn wiki"--only when I check the wiki, I'm misrecalling and the answer isn't there. In those cases, I update the wiki & answer the question posed.

But that isn't what normally happens, and isn't what happened on the last few go-rounds in this thread. The questions being asked were answered in the wiki--period. The wasted post isn't the one directing people to that resource; it's the post needlessly posing a question for the 1,000,001st time.

2. Potential omissions/ambiguities/contradictions in the wiki. The wiki isn't Holy Writ that may never be challenged. Offers change; Citi policy evolves; and wiki editors sometimes word things poorly. When these issues come to our attention, someone generally fixes them. (For instance, the section on "does opening the Plat card prevent me from getting a Gold card bonus?" turned out to be unclear. One editor deleted that passage; another--yours truly--wrote a new one from scratch & flagged that in the thread.)

So what would be constructive is for you to identify the "things that don't make a lot of sense in this wiki compared to others." If you mean the complexity and perversity of Citi's policies & practices makes no sense, we can't help you there. If OTOH there's a section that conflicts with language elsewhere in the wiki or explains a certain issue confusingly, call it out. Some of us have superhuman powers (mostly involving keeping track of CC churn schedules), but we're not mind readers.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:40 am

So I got a retention offer for my AAdvantage personal card and just completed the 1st month's $1,000 spending to trigger the bonus 1k miles. And it seems like it's stacking from last year's identical retention offer. So now when I spend 1k in a month I get 2k bonus points plus the 1k points for spend.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by maverick17

Again I appreciate those who take time to update it.
In brief: If you have taken the time to read the wiki (unlike many people) and still have questions, just say so and no one will get on your case. The pleas to read the wiki are made only when there is a simple answer in the wiki.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Approved for my 3rd Plat today and the bonus was confirmed again over the phone. Used link 4c. I still think the best way to find out if you are eligible for another Plat is using the pre-quailfied page and see if it shows the card there. Hoping the World->WE conversion happens again and I will go for card #4
Nice! Just got my 2nd plat select world mc for my wife (2 each now), both second cards after world elite conversion. When/if my 2nd is converted, will go for 3!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Approved for my 3rd Plat today and the bonus was confirmed again over the phone. Used link 4c. I still think the best way to find out if you are eligible for another Plat is using the pre-quailfied page and see if it shows the card there. Hoping the World->WE conversion happens again and I will go for card #4
Originally Posted by epaairnow
Nice! Just got my 2nd plat select world mc for my wife (2 each now), both second cards after world elite conversion. When/if my 2nd is converted, will go for 3!
Really curious if you guys are having to move lines of credit between cards or if they're getting automatically approved. Do you reduce the credit limit on the current cards you have open because it seems like you'd hit the max credit citi will give you pretty quickly if not, but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by whoknew89
Really curious if you guys are having to move lines of credit between cards or if they're getting automatically approved. Do you reduce the credit limit on the current cards you have open because it seems like you'd hit the max credit citi will give you pretty quickly if not, but I could be wrong.
In my case yes. I ask them to reduce it down to 6 or 7k from 22+k usually. Recently with the Plats it has been easy since I haven't been getting auto approved, but OTOH, get approved shortly thereafter during chat. I utilize the chat sessions to request the lower CL.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Reading the wiki drinking hazelnut coffee at my local Panera #bliss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.