Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
I am also guessing that if I close an old Visa (my Dad's) and apply for a new MC at the same time, I am compliant with the 18 months rule as they are not the same product and so I should have no trouble getting the bonus on the new MC?
Correct
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475
Correct
That's what I thought. The wiki is clear on that point but this post earlier in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...l#post24134937 - contradicts that. I am guessing the post is wrong.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:53 pm

Just to be extra clear, there is not only no advantage to keeping open old Citi AA Plat Visa Signature cards (apart from the minor benefit of extending avg. credit age) but there is actually a serious disadvantage in terms of Citi potentially randomly 'upgrading' you to a AA Plat Select MC and resetting the 18 month clock in the process? If my understanding of the situation is correct, I think this should be added to the wiki in bold / red letters. I check this thread every now and then and had I been aware of this risk I would have closed my AA Citi Visa cards a long time ago.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:05 pm

Citi potentially randomly 'upgrading' you to a AA Plat Select MC
My guess is that in the near future Citi may "upgrade" all the remaining Visas so they remove the product. Also I guess that the Visas were never EMV and that they need to get most to EMV soon and it does not make sense to issue new EMV Visa cards for them.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:54 am

Is this enforced?- had biz card few years go

This CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select card offer is not available to you if you already have a CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card account. Additionally, this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select cardmembers.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007

This CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select card offer is not available to you if you already have a CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card account. Additionally, this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select cardmembers.
Answered in the wiki, as usual.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007

Short answer: Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. This is truly a YMMV situation. I'll let others chime in with the long answer.

Edited to add: I see Beltway beat me to the punch, with an even shorter answer.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:08 am

That's what I thought. The wiki is clear on that point but this post earlier in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...l#post24134937 - contradicts that. I am guessing the post is wrong.
That post is from January, and the prevailing rules/terms on the Citi AA cards have changed, and other developments have arisen since then, too (like the World Elite loophole). Fortunately, there are great efforts made by the folks on this thread to keep the wiki as current as possible.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:25 am

there is actually a serious disadvantage in terms of Citi potentially randomly 'upgrading' you to a AA Plat Select MC and resetting the 18 month clock in the process? If my understanding of the situation is correct, I think this should be added to the wiki in bold / red letters.
We'd put it in the wiki written in blood if there were substantial evidence to back up such a warning. There isn't AFAICT--and indeed, there is at least one data point suggesting that the Visa->MC conversion does not reset the clock. Specifically, I've posted about my own experience applying one day after the conversion & still receiving a bonus on the new card.

To be clear, I'm not saying there's no risk. My success might be an edge case owing to the short time between the conversion & new application. But the risk is, as far as I'm aware, entirely conjectural even at this late date.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Thanks, I am organically meeting spend not through manufacturing and in my case the old AA card is 3-4 years old (I keep getting AF waivers every year) and as such one of my older cards (I don't max out churning), so keeping that card going adds more than just a few months to my credit age. And I did realize that I was adding a couple of months to the 18 month time limit by not canceling the old card right away, but I wasn't sure if I could close it right away before getting the bonus (I should have asked this question 2 months ago).

Also, my old card is a Citi AA Visa (Personal) so I guess it doesn't even qualify as the same card? So if I close it next year, I shouldn't be subject to the 18 months wait period?

EDIT: Just saw your post earlier in this thread about the risks of being auto-converted to a Plat MC. Guess I should have closed the Visa card sooner. Should I close it now or wait? Don't want them to convert it randomly at some point next year and make me wait another 18 months from the conversion...
If you're only keeping it open for age of account purposes, why not just product change it to something else (like the double cash or AA bronze)? This will keep the account history, but prevent you from being converted to a AA plat MC at some point.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by boris10475
1) No, do not close current account before you apply for a new card
2) That is for you to decide. For most people in your situation personal MC would be easier to get approved for though.

thanks, i'll apply today and see what happens.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
My guess is that in the near future Citi may "upgrade" all the remaining Visas so they remove the product. Also I guess that the Visas were never EMV and that they need to get most to EMV soon and it does not make sense to issue new EMV Visa cards for them.
Two of my AA Visas, numbers 1 and 3, were replaced with Visa chip cards recently. The other AA Visa was converted to a MC chip card in May. I can make no sense of their conversion strategy.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

I'm getting conflicting information about how churnable personal cards are from Citi card reps. In the past 2 days, 4 out of 5 reps I've talked to say that applying for a AAdvantage Platinum Select MC will reset the 18 months countdown for a Gold MC. So if you open a Platinum card last month, you won't be eligible for bonuses for any other AAdvantage card (Platinum or Gold).

Has anyone else ran into this issue? In the wiki and even on the landing pages for the cards, they explicitly say the following, but the reps say they are 100% sure you won't get the bonuses if you had any type of AAdvantage reward in the past 18 months. They oscillate between "any type of reward" or "any AA card you opened or closed" in the past 18 months.

American Airlines AAdvantageŽ bonus miles are not available if you have had a CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Gold MasterCardŽ opened or closed in the past 18 months.

1. Are these AA cards churnable?
Yes and No. The general rules are:
Personal AA cards: As of February 1, 2015, all new links require you to wait 18 months from the date of opening or closing an account of the same type (AmEx, Visa, MC) and category (Gold, Platinum, Executive). Thus,
opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will normally require you to wait another 18 months before applying for another personal Platinum MC eligible for a signup bonus
opening or closing a personal Gold MC will normally require you to wait another 18 months before applying for another personal Gold MC eligible for a signup bonus
opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will not affect your eligibility to apply for (& earn a bonus on) a new Gold MC, and vice versa
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jigglypoof
In the wiki and even on the landing pages for the cards, they explicitly say the following, but the reps say they are 100% sure you won't get the bonuses if you had any type of AAdvantage reward in the past 18 months. They oscillate between "any type of reward" or "any AA card you opened or closed" in the past 18 months.
The reps are full of [common barnyard substance]. The wiki is correct.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jigglypoof
I'm getting conflicting information about how churnable personal cards are from Citi card reps. In the past 2 days, 4 out of 5 reps I've talked to say that applying for a AAdvantage Platinum Select MC will reset the 18 months countdown for a Gold MC. So if you open a Platinum card last month, you won't be eligible for bonuses for any other AAdvantage card (Platinum or Gold).........................
I am very curious to know what led you to call citi to ask that question 4-5 times!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.