Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
I understand what you're asking, but I'm not sure when it becomes "to late". When you log in to your accounts, is this card already identified as a mastercard?
Yes, there is a new and additional card there which is a MC. I was surprised to see it there and don't even know the full account number yet.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Insder
Update on wyogold style links floating around:
I applied for a Plat last week, finally got the paperwork and the 50k bonus is on it.

My last Plat (a Mastercard, not a Visa, I checked my credit report) was opened 06/13, closed 07/14, and so I am well within my 18 month churn window, considering it has been 13 months since my last close.

I'm getting ready to apply again and see if I get the 50k again, since that would 100% be within the 18 month window.
I experienced the same thing---last app Sep 2014, approved again in Aug. 2015 using wyogold's link including bonus. But my next attempt, in Sept 2015, was approved without the bonus, and I think the same will happen in your case.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Will do. 4 C is what I was planning on using IIRC
Reading from iphone

Which link are you using ?
Hmm. I used 11 last time and it's gone. So probably 12...I hope (don't think) it matters, but 12 has a nice picture lol.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I experienced the same thing---last app Sep 2014, approved again in Aug. 2015 using wyogold's link including bonus. But my next attempt, in Sept 2015, was approved without the bonus, and I think the same will happen in your case.
Those first successes in 2015 maybe be due to the word - world elite conversion and not due to being a churnable link

Originally Posted by SteveANC
Approved for 50k AA Mastercard after I received a letter in the mail with the offer.

Closed last Citi mastercard over 18 months ago. I did not get a mention of the bonus in the letter but I do not have the clock. Bonus confirmed both on phone and via chat (clearly stated it is associated with my account with dates for meeting spend.)

edit: actually, I have the clock
What exactly is this clock i see mentioned here?

Last edited by James Ben; Sep 19, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by James Ben
What exactly is this clock i see mentioned here?
SteveANC is referring to the "New Customer Bonus" chart that shows your progress towards earning the signup bonus. You can find it by clicking that card and then clicking "My Miles Summary."
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdboy
Just noticed that my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa is being converted into a MasterCard. I haven't received the new MC yet but it's on my online account and new purchases on the Visa are going to the MC.

I assume that means I missed out on the chance to apply for the MC independently for award miles?
You very well may have. Technically, a conversion by Citi to an Plat MC is an "open" of an Plat MC, and the rules say you can't get the bonus if you had an Plat MC "opened or closed in the past 18 months" you are ruled out for the bonus.

That's why for months I've been recommending in this thread that anyone who still had a Visa or Amex cancel it ASAP, to avoid the risk of the situation you just found yourself in.

I don't think we have enough datapoints on people who tried to apply right after getting auto-converted from Visa to MC to know for sure. Wanna be our guinea pig?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
I applied on 9/7, welcome letter came 9/14, and now today 9/19 the card finally shows up. I'm just reiterating the delay Citi's having getting cards out.
I applied on 9/7 too, was not automatically approved, got a phone call to call them back on 9/8, got approved after long hold on 9/8, got a letter 9/15 or later (didn't pick my mail up between 9/15 and 9/17) that )a) didn't count me as approved until 9/9, (b) mentioned the bonus, and (c) said to call them if my card did not arrive by 9/16. I waited until yesterday's (9/19) mail which still had no card to call them, and they said it had been delayed and I now should receive it by 9/24. (I am traveling again this week, so in fact won't get to check mailbox again until 9/24, so I really really hope it is there by then!)

I am in So Cal (you didn't explain either in your post or in your profile where you're based, and that can make some difference in Citi mailing timings).
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:45 am

Those first successes in 2015 maybe be due to the word - world elite conversion and not due to being a churnable link
Yes, assuming the conversion benefit still applied even though I canceled the 2014 card quickly after receiving the bonus, i.e. before conversion.

It's too bad the wyogold link is not churnable---the same method worked perfectly for the Exec cards.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
I applied on 9/7, welcome letter came 9/14, and now today 9/19 the card finally shows up. I'm just reiterating the delay Citi's having getting cards out.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I applied on 9/7 too, was not automatically approved, got a phone call to call them back on 9/8, got approved after long hold on 9/8, got a letter 9/15 or later (didn't pick my mail up between 9/15 and 9/17) that )a) didn't count me as approved until 9/9, (b) mentioned the bonus, and (c) said to call them if my card did not arrive by 9/16. I waited until yesterday's (9/19) mail which still had no card to call them, and they said it had been delayed and I now should receive it by 9/24. (I am traveling again this week, so in fact won't get to check mailbox again until 9/24, so I really really hope it is there by then!)

I am in So Cal (you didn't explain either in your post or in your profile where you're based, and that can make some difference in Citi mailing timings).
So Tex

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Sep 20, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:46 pm

Applied and was approved for the AA Platinum Select World MC from the wiki link. Citi's site list a 30k points for 1k spend on a AA Platinum Select MasterCard. Notably the word "World" is absent from the citi version. Anyone know if these are two separate products?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:06 pm

SteveANC is referring to the "New Customer Bonus" chart that shows your progress towards earning the signup bonus. You can find it by clicking that card and then clicking "My Miles Summary."
Cool, never noticed that. So if clock shows then 100% the bonus is coming?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:37 pm

Cool, never noticed that. So if clock shows then 100% the bonus is coming?
The "New Customer Bonus" clock/wheel/graph/chart is fairly new, but recent data points indicate it appears when you'll be qualifying for a sign up bonus. Other data points indicate you will not be getting a sign up bonus if it doesn't show up.

Once you've earned the bonus because the spending requirement has been met on posted statements, the circle changes from blue to green and says CONGRATULATIONS. YOU'VE EARNED IT! inside the circle with a check mark.

While you're still spending towards the bonus because you only got part of the way there on your first statement, the inside of the circle will say for example:
Offer Ends in
72 Days
Expires on
12/01/2015
$591.23
To Go

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Sep 20, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You very well may have. Technically, a conversion by Citi to an Plat MC is an "open" of an Plat MC, and the rules say you can't get the bonus if you had an Plat MC "opened or closed in the past 18 months" you are ruled out for the bonus.

That's why for months I've been recommending in this thread that anyone who still had a Visa or Amex cancel it ASAP, to avoid the risk of the situation you just found yourself in.

I don't think we have enough datapoints on people who tried to apply right after getting auto-converted from Visa to MC to know for sure. Wanna be our guinea pig?
Anyone have their Amex converted or have data point on why they think it is slated to be converted? If so, I guess its time for me to give up my 1k bonus miles per month for 1k spend (times 4 cards)...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Data Point:

Applied using link 4c: 8/31/2015
Approved: 9/14/2015 (I never call)
Letter confirming 50K bonus arrived today (yes it has taken 3 weeks from application date)
Pre-approval on Citi website still shows 30k bonus offer (don't know if it means anything).
Card is suppose to arrive by 9/23

Prior AA MC Plat application: 1/29/2015
Converted to World Elite: Early March 2015
Bonus posted: April Statement
Card still open
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:47 pm

A data point that I think some will be very interested in (this comes from a close friend whom I help):

Applied and obtained AA World Card: Jan 2015
Converted to World Elite: April 2015
Card Closed: June 2015

Applied for AA World Card #2: Sep 2015
Received 50k letter

So even after closing the World Elite card he was still able get the 50k for World #2. Good to know for those, like me, worried about keeping their other cards open (and might currently be eating the fee).

Last edited by Willbur; Sep 22, 2015 at 6:51 am Reason: Edited some word choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.