Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
There is no Wiki using the mobile version. I'm sure that's a big part of the problem.
Yeah. That's a pain, but there is a View Full Site link on the bottom of the mobile page. But maybe if you are asking a question that has been answered over and over, you haven't put any time into this, and wouldn't read the wiki anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
It is a personal card, plain and simple. And a random person reading the wiki certainly wouldn't have any reason to think otherwise.
Yes, it is a personal card but another product. The second line of the wiki says:
For information on the Executive version of this card, see: Citi Executive AA thread
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:31 am

I applied for the plat after my previous world was converted to world elite using link #4. I expected to use the loophole to get the card again.
I wasn't instantly approved. Called today, seven days later, and was told a letter was in the mail requesting my tax return. I am leery of this. Can anyone speculate why they are asking for this? Can I just ignore it and forget the app.?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
So I have had the Personal Platinum World select, opened May 2014 closed May 2015

I cannot apply for that card for the next 18 mos ( since closing)

but I can apply for the Citi Gold since I have never had this card, correct?

this is the only card I can apply for since I do not run a business.

ps. I did read the wiki, just wanted to double check. thanks

Last edited by duranza; Sep 29, 2015 at 12:45 pm Reason: adding info
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
but I can apply for the Citi Gold since I have never had this card, correct?
The wiki (FAQ section) answers this. Please read it. I'm begging you.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by felicity5
I applied for the plat after my previous world was converted to world elite using link #4. I expected to use the loophole to get the card again.
I wasn't instantly approved. Called today, seven days later, and was told a letter was in the mail requesting my tax return. I am leery of this. Can anyone speculate why they are asking for this? Can I just ignore it and forget the app.?
Citi is weird that way, they probably have a question in regards to your income, if you have an issue of them looking at your taxes you can just forget about it and they will drop the app after 30 days.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Yes, it is a personal card but another product. The second line of the wiki says:
For information on the Executive version of this card, see: Citi Executive AA thread
The Executive card "feels" very different because it has different benefits (such as lounge access), no waived AF, a very high AF, etc.

But once you factor out that "feel" aspect, the Gold, Platinum, and Executive cards are just all different personal Citi AA card products.

The Executive card has its own thread because of that very different "feel".

But from the standpoint of churning rules, the Executive card is not all the different than any other Citi AA personal cards, while the churning rules for Citi AA business cards are very different and less well understood (beyond "YMMV").
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is at least the third year they've been doing it (assuming it's the IRS 4506-T form they sent you). I got it last year and the year before. It's to verify your income. If you lied about your income in a material way* on your application, I'd be leery of it. Otherwise, I'd simply be annoyed by it, because it delays you getting the card by many weeks.

Here's a thread specific to it from a while back:
The IRS 4506-T form is not quite the same thing as you sending them your tax returns (which Citi has not accepted in the past anyway). It authorizes them to request some info (not all info) from your tax returns from the IRS. What Citi gets from the IRS is the equivalent of a "redacted" version of your tax return.

Yes, if you never want any other Citi cards again, you can certainly ignore it and forget the app. They may assume you ignored it because you lied about your income, and if so chances are that if you ever apply again, they'll ask for the same thing again. (Or they may assume you forgot, and they may forget themselves. See Ed's post below.)

If you don't ignore it, they're likely to approve you (again, assuming you didn't materially lie about your income), and if they do ever ask you again, it'll only be once a year at most.

* I "lie" about my income only in that I round down from $x1234 (or whatever sequence of last 4 digits) to $x0000 (in part because my exact income varies somewhat from year to year but after this rounding down it stays the same from year to year). I don't consider that to be a "material" lie. A "material" lie, from the standpoint of the bank, I would think would be an overstatement of income beyond mild rounding.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:24 pm Reason: factored in the below post
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Entering an annual salary on this app that was significantly different than the last app could be the reason for the 4506-T request. But who knows for sure?

I received the 4506-T request from Citi in March this year, and completely abandoned that particular application because of it. However, I have since been approved for four more Citi cards. The first of which I applied for only eight days after the application date of the one I abandoned. I never returned their form. I continue to get approved, and so far they have not asked again for another one.

If your app includes your spouse's income which you have reasonable access to but you filed separate returns, how will giving them access to your return help you? Or if you accepted a new job with a considerably higher income than you showed on last year's return, how will giving access to Citi help you? In both of these very realistic possibilities you would appear to have lied when you did not, which could seriously hurt your chances of future approvals.

Maybe if sending Citi my completed 4506-T was the only way to get a Citi card in the future, then I'd consider sending it in, but it was definitely not the only way for me. So I can not recommend sending it in.

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:30 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
I did read the wiki, just wanted to double check.
I've updated the wiki accordingly.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entering an annual salary on this app that was significantly different than the last app could be the reason for the 4506-T request. But who knows for sure?
No, I entered the exact same (rounded as explained above) $x0000 every year for the past several years. Then 2 years ago they asked for the 4506-T (where they would have found that it's modestly above $x0000), then 1 year ago they asked for the 4506-T again (where again they would have found that it's modestly above $x0000). So not only was my annual salary on the app not significantly different than the last app, it was not different at all from what it was in the last dozen or two apps!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb

I received the 4506-T request from Citi in March this year, and completely abandoned that particular application because of it. However, I have since been approved for four more Citi cards. The first of which I applied for only eight days after the application date of the one I abandoned. I never returned their form. I continue to get approved, and so far they have not asked again for another one.

If your app includes your spouse's income which you have reasonable access to but you filed separate returns, how will giving them access to your return help you? Or if you accepted a new job with a considerably higher income than you showed on last year's return, how will giving access to Citi help you? In both of these very realistic possibilities you would appear to have lied when you did not, which could seriously hurt your chances of future approvals.

Maybe if sending Citi my completed 4506-T was the only way to get a Citi card in the future, then I'd consider sending it in, but it was definitely not the only way for me. So I can not recommend sending it in.
Valuable feedback Ed.

I applied for my daughter for her 1st Citi card (after approvals with multiple other ones , chase, barclay, discover, amex etc) and they requested it. Because of thinness of her credit history I decided to not waste another HP (sending in the form generates a 2nd HP!).

I think we'll try again for her once a few months have passed with some of the new credit lines showing up.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
As followup to my post above:

Good news and bad news folks:

Data point 1:

Opened and closed Citi Plat select earlier this year (unclear if converted to WE although I cannot find any reference to it in my cards, emails etc).

- Prequalified offer displayed when checking for offers (30k/40k I forget)
- Applied with link 13
- welcome letter received today with 50k bonus mentioned.

Data point 2:

Wife -

Opened and closed Citi plat select ealier this year (unclear if converted to WE as above)

Applied with wyogold's link received via PM that he had reported "Originally Posted by wyogold View Post
I've confirmed a link that is good for 50K miles for $3K spend in 3 months. Tested, good twice in two months with bonus. Took a while to ensure it's OK."

Received welcome letter today same as above but no mention of bonus.

Unsure exactly what to synthesize from this.
As follow up, for my data point 1, points posted to AA.

Previous Citi plat select was opened and *closed* in the last 6-9 months.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The wiki (FAQ section) answers this. Please read it. I'm begging you.
read the wiki, can't seem to find any info on this...

so the Visa and Amex cards from AA are dead and gone? the only personal cards available now are MC and the Gold, correct?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by bencahn1
read the wiki, can't seem to find any info on this...

so the Visa and Amex cards from AA are dead and gone? the only personal cards available now are MC and the Gold, correct?
Personal Platinum and Gold MC is whats available + Business MC, No Visa or Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.