Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:37 pm

Does anyone know if downgrading a Platinum AA card to a no fee version is possible? and if so, would that count as "closing" the card and therefore reset the 18 month clock or not?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James Ben
Does anyone know if downgrading a Platinum AA card to a no fee version is possible? and if so, would that count as "closing" the card and therefore reset the 18 month clock or not?
Why? Have you already tried for a retention bonus multiple times and failed?
It's much easier and safer to just keep the AA Plat MC (I presume it's an MC, right?) and get (typically) something like a credit equal to the annual fee for maybe doing a few small purchases, which definitely won't reset your 18 month clock, versus doing what you proposed, which may very well reset your 18 month clock.

I don't think we have enough definitive datapoints to show for sure whether someone converting to a different card type always, never, or sometimes resets their 18 month clock. Once most people find out it might, they avoid doing the "experiment"s which would necessary for us to know for sure. (Since we know Citi doesn't always count time accurately, perfect guinea pigs would be at least several months out since their 18 month clock was last reset by a simple open or close, and yet still many months away from the end of their 18 month clock.)

Anyway, last I heard, there still is a AA "Bronze" card (though I don't know if they still call it that) which earns only 1 mile for every $2 spend and has no AA benefits, but no AF at all. But I don't think your second question, about whether that would act as a "close" or not, is definitely answerable yet.

So that's why I suggest you try for a retention bonus first (assuming your annual fee is already showing), and wait to do the conversion until right after you get approved for another AA Plat card (which will mean you will have just started a new 18 month clock intentionally at that point).

The only "truly safe" time to close (or convert) a Citi AA Plat card (or Gold card) is after 18 months, right after you get approved for the next one (of the same type). With any luck, retention bonuses can get you out of paying the first year AF, and besides that, you may well get a half-year prorated AF refund (of $47.50 or so) when you close at the 18 month point (even though you got a credit for the full AF half a year earlier!). Thus you can get Citi to give you money, instead of taking your money, by cancelling (or converting) at 18 months instead of at 12 months, assuming you can get a good retention bonus at 12 months.

Meanwhile, how long have you had the card? If only a year, why the need to convert it (instead of just closing it)? Converting only helps much if you've got a card that's already been open for years. (You won't be able to convert every AA card you get, because you'll eventually run up against "too many Citi cards open", and then you'll have to close them anyway to be able to apply for even more, and then what's the point of having converted them earlier?) That's why people who have been at this a while generally just cancel cards, when they're truly done with them, rather than converting them.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 21, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why? Have you already tried for a retention bonus multiple times and failed?
It's much easier and safer to just keep the AA Plat MC (I presume it's an MC, right?) and get (typically) something like a credit equal to the annual fee for maybe doing a few small purchases, which definitely won't reset your 18 month clock, versus doing what you proposed, which may very well reset your 18 month clock.

I don't think we have enough definitive datapoints to show for sure whether someone converting to a different card type always, never, or sometimes resets their 18 month clock. Once most people find out it might, they avoid doing the "experiment"s which would necessary for us to know for sure. (Since we know Citi doesn't always count time accurately, perfect guinea pigs would be at least several months out since their 18 month clock was last reset by a simple open or close, and yet still many months away from the end of their 18 month clock.)

Anyway, last I heard, there still is a AA "Bronze" card (though I don't know if they still call it that) which earns only 1 mile for every $2 spend and has no AA benefits, but no AF at all. But I don't think your second question, about whether that would act as a "close" or not, is definitely answerable yet.

So that's why I suggest you try for a retention bonus first (assuming your annual fee is already showing), and wait to do the conversion until right after you get approved for another AA Plat card (which will mean you will have just started a new 18 month clock intentionally at that point).

The only "truly safe" time to close (or convert) a Citi AA Plat card (or Gold card) is after 18 months, right after you get approved for the next one (of the same type). With any luck, retention bonuses can get you out of paying the first year AF, and besides that, you may well get a half-year prorated AF refund (of $47.50 or so) when you close at the 18 month point (even though you got a credit for the full AF half a year earlier!). Thus you can get Citi to give you money, instead of taking your money, by cancelling (or converting) at 18 months instead of at 12 months, assuming you can get a good retention bonus at 12 months.

Meanwhile, how long have you had the card? If only a year, why the need to convert it (instead of just closing it)? Converting only helps much if you've got a card that's already been open for years. (You won't be able to convert every AA card you get, because you'll eventually run up against "too many Citi cards open", and then you'll have to close them anyway to be able to apply for even more, and then what's the point of having converted them earlier?) That's why people who have been at this a while generally just cancel cards, when they're truly done with them, rather than converting them.
Thanks for detailed answer, However i just got the card 3 months ago, i figure the safest thing is to close the card and wait another 18 months, i did have another card for my wife with AF due asked for retention and got nowhere
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
There is a Citi Bronze card, no AF. Not advertised but can PC to it. Takes 45 days I think.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Timing question

It's been a little while since my last run at Citi - my last encounters were with the now moot Exec MC (sniff, sniff...I miss those days...).

I am now looking at what I think is my next best option for Citi AA cards: the Business Platinum Select MasterCard.

I do have an old Citi Business Visa card. I assume that doesn't have any impact on my ability to get this card and bonus.

May last two apps for any Citi cards were 4/23/15 and 5/26/15 - both were Exec MCs. My question is about my interpretation of the waiting period...

I'm coming up on the 60-day mark since my last app. As I read the wiki, I should be OK to apply and be eligible for the bonus if I apply on day 60 for the Business Platinum Select MasterCard. I've never had a Citi buisness MC before, ever, and once I pass the 60 day mark (just before the 7/31 posted cutoff date for this card), I should be good to go. Yes, I know that things are a bit more random for Business cards - but otherwise, I think I should be OK to go for this one. Right?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Anomalychick
AA Platinum Datapoint--

Approved for platinum aa world mastercard December 2014 with 50K bonus.
Card convered to world elite in febuary...

Posted on this forum trying to find out if i could get another bonus for a second card but there were too few data points and I was too scared.

Checked citi website, and I had a targeted offer for 50k with no language about the 18months anywhere, and I went over it with a fine tooth comb. Clicked through to app that had no mention of a bonus on it.

Posted on this forum asking if targeted offers were exempt from 18 month requirement if its not mentioned. Got no response. Threw caution to the wind and applied anyway.

Approved and recieved letter informing me of 50K bonus miles and minimum spend yesterday.

So, either the targeted offer or the the world to world elite conversion or both made me eligible. Unfortunately I can't tell you which one.
Applied in January, converted to World Elite in March, just got the letter confirming another bonus.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I do have an old Citi Business Visa card. I assume that doesn't have any impact on my ability to get this card and bonus.
Why do you prefer to assume rather than reading the wiki (FAQ section)?

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
May last two apps for any Citi cards were 4/23/15 and 5/26/15 - both were Exec MCs. My question is about my interpretation of the waiting period...

I'm coming up on the 60-day mark since my last app. As I read the wiki, I should be OK to apply and be eligible for the bonus if I apply on day 60 for the Business Platinum Select MasterCard...
Again I would recommend actually reading the wiki. There is no conceivable reason to wait 60 days after the most recent application.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 22, 2015 at 9:54 am
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by fyugioh
Applied in January, converted to World Elite in March, just got the letter confirming another bonus.
Originally Posted by Anomalychick
AA Platinum Datapoint--

Approved for platinum aa world mastercard December 2014 with 50K bonus.
Card convered to world elite in febuary...

Posted on this forum trying to find out if i could get another bonus for a second card but there were too few data points and I was too scared.

Checked citi website, and I had a targeted offer for 50k with no language about the 18months anywhere, and I went over it with a fine tooth comb. Clicked through to app that had no mention of a bonus on it.

Posted on this forum asking if targeted offers were exempt from 18 month requirement if its not mentioned. Got no response. Threw caution to the wind and applied anyway.

Approved and recieved letter informing me of 50K bonus miles and minimum spend yesterday.

So, either the targeted offer or the the world to world elite conversion or both made me eligible. Unfortunately I can't tell you which one.
thanks so much for the data points! may i ask which links you guys used (or where the targeted link is on the citi website)? family members got their cards in January and the cards were upgraded shortly thereafter so may have to try for them. thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
thanks so much for the data points! may i ask which links you guys used (or where the targeted link is on the citi website)? family members got their cards in January and the cards were upgraded shortly thereafter so may have to try for them. thank you!
11. in the wiki
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:00 pm

11. in the wiki
thanks so much for your quick reply!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:04 pm

I was denied two days ago for a Platinum Select card. The rep I spoke with couldn't tell me why I was denied but said it would give the reasons in a letter that was sent. I assume that it was because have a relatively low income which I earn when I'm not in school. Since I'm 20, I can't claim any other income (like my family's) that could be used to pay bills.

From my understanding, the only way I can earn miles (as well as the 30k bonus) for ME to use, is if I'm the primary cardmember. I'm assuming miles can't be deposited in the Advantage account of an authorized user instead. Right?

What might be my course of action to try to get approved?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by connorc
I was denied two days ago for a Platinum Select card. The rep I spoke with couldn't tell me why I was denied but said it would give the reasons in a letter that was sent. I assume that it was because have a relatively low income which I earn when I'm not in school. Since I'm 20, I can't claim any other income (like my family's) that could be used to pay bills.

From my understanding, the only way I can earn miles (as well as the 30k bonus) for ME to use, is if I'm the primary cardmember. I'm assuming miles can't be deposited in the Advantage account of an authorized user instead. Right?

right.
wait for letter and send reply to exec offices asking for mercy, but with a thin credit file and low income you may be SOL
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:46 am
jk2

11. in the wiki
Out of curiosity, why link #11? It seems (for me, at least) that all links in Wiki for Platinum MC have the same bonus/restrictions. Isn't so?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:54 am

There is the Gold card for 25K, which should be inherently easier to obtain if you have minimal credit. Also note that the Platinum Select cards in this thread are 50K, not the 30K offered on the Citi site.

You can also look at creditboards and other places for ways to boost your credit. I added my wife as an authorized user on my oldest Chase card (Slate) and it added her as of the date I opened the card 20+ years ago. That sort of thing.

As travelfreaks notes, if it is credit worthiness, right a letter to reconsideration or the executive office pleading your case. Tell them about your employment (if employed) how you pay your bills (assuming you do), and ask for the minimal credit line to prove your credit worthiness.

GL!

Ike
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:54 am

If you can't charm your way into Citi, you can attempt to get the SPG Amex.
Amex may evaluate your circumstances differently, and often exhibit more flexibility in the reconsideration process.
The points transfer to AA, with a 5K bonus when transferred in 20K increments. You won't receive the AA specific benefits that come with the citi card, but you'll at least be earning points and building your credit file.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.