Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This will depend on whether the hotel credit card transaction is processed with the airline's merchant account, or with a separate merchant account setup by (for example) AA Vacations.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by chevy454
Would this work for a hotel booked through an airline?

Anyone know if there is a way to book a hotel and get the $250 credit to cover it? Eg, if the room is booked directly through AA, or SW, etc?
To expand on my question:

(1) will a hotel booked through an airline (AA, SW, etc) be coded correctly to receive the $250 credit?

(2) does anyone know of an airline that accepts it's own branded gift card(s) to book a hotel?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
*I know what the answer is no according to T&C, but I am asking if anyone has real world experience otherwise*

Citi Prestige

Spent $250, got $250 reimbursement

Annual Fee posted on Nov XX on statement closed Nov XX

37 days from Nov XX is Jan XX

Statement says that the $250 resets on Dec XX

If I spend the $250 after Dec XX but before Jan XX (i.e. mid cycle) and then close the card, and request reimbursement of the annual fee and get annual fee reimbursed...

Will the $250 credit happen on the following statement closing?

Anyone with real world experience of trying to harvest the $250 and closing the card mid cycle?

Don't want to waste my time unnecessarily testing this, and spending $250 on more gift cards for no reason.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:30 pm

Just don't do it. It's a great card with fantastic benefits. Don't kill it for everyone else!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:06 pm
Suspended

I can't believe anyone would be dumb or greedy enough to not only churn the Prestige, but do so in such a blatant manner.

This site is becoming a magnet for schemers.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I can't believe anyone would be dumb or greedy enough to not only churn the Prestige, but do so in such a blatant manner.

This site is becoming a magnet for schemers.
You really can't believe it? FTers have been doing much, much worse over the past couple of years. Remember last year when folks were applying for 4-5 Citi AA Exec cards? We all have our lines that we're not willing to cross. But yeah, I agree this is a bad idea.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:38 pm

Anyone know if spirit airline checked luggage fees/seat fees are reimbursed?

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Wow

So this thread has people finding religion about crossing lines over this?

This is pretty tame and what are u worried about?

They might take away your chance at a $500 annual fee card???

Cmon
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:09 am
Suspended

Maximizing benefits is one thing but the people who scheme to get two and even three airline credits from one annual fee are little more than scammers.

One might expect this sort of thing from some of the bottom-feeder "travel hacker" blogs, but it's kind of astonishing that someone at a site for road warriors would just shrug at the possibility of losing access to one of the greatest travel credit cards that have ever been offered to the public.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:15 am
mia

Moderator reminder

Flyertalk's rules require us to write about cards, rewards and benefits, not about each other. If a point has been made there is no need to repeat it.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Question...

I've already expended my $250 credit back in July. At that time, my statement said:

"The credit will reset to $250.00 after your December 2015 billing cycle."

Does that mean I can't get any credit for airline expenses in the month of December 2015?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by doss1
Does that mean I can't get any credit for airline expenses in the month of December 2015?
It means that any expenses incurred in December, which appear on your January statement, will be reimbursed and applied to your 2016 benefit.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
My new Prestige is on the way and I might be up against a quick statement closing date. Is there a certain type of purchase that posts faster than another — e.g., an AA gift card/e-cert vs. a United gift card/e-cert? I don't have any specific flights to book, so gift cards seem to be the best way to use the airline credit ASAP. Thanks.
During my card activation call, I asked the rep to change the cycle closing date. The rep was happy to accomodate, but stated that the first closing date could not be changed. Now looking at my account online, I see that the first closing date is not what the rep originally quoted and not what I requested, but halfway in between.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
It means that any expenses incurred in December, which appear on your January statement, will be reimbursed and applied to your 2016 benefit.
I know we should never trust Citi's reps, but I asked them this question and they said NO.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:43 am
mia

Based on the wording of the terms I can see it going either way. If the terms are literally reflected in their software one could have both 2015 and 2016 airline reimbursements on the January statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.