Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:56 am

Has anyone been successful getting the $250 reimbursement from a AS gift card purchase?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kajaz
Has anyone been successful getting the $250 reimbursement from a AS gift card purchase?
Read back 1 page...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Used up my 2015 credit but then I had about 4 airline charges after Dec 16th and they all posted towards my 2016 credit, I'm thinking it was b/c the statement closed in Jan.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by teddy25
I'm sure someone will compliant... about this CASH method being out there but here it is. It as been confirm to be working a dozen times.

Book a southwest flight (anytime or business fare) cost $250 or more. Once the charge posts on your accout, the you can cancel the flight for free.

Your $250 statement credit should hit at the closing of the billing cycle.

Citi has the worst IT system, their system do not recongonized refund. The credit will trigger with the purchase, it will post even the purchase is canceled in the same statement period.

This method generates $500 in cash(2 years of credit) to offset the cost of the annual fee. Just wonder which crapy blog will copy first.
Does not compute, everyone probably understands book and get statement credit then cancel for the $250, but $500, um, what?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Does not compute, everyone probably understands book and get statement credit then cancel for the $250, but $500, um, what?
this is assuming you get two years of credit for one annual fee.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by teddy25
this is assuming you get two years of credit for one annual fee.
Ah, so just repeat same procedure twice. Yes, that's understood. Everyone has a chance to get 2 for 1 if the terms are understood and that's the way you want to proceed, no matter what date you apply for the card.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
My statement closed and the Alaska Airlines credit processed.

Gift cards: No credit
Ticket purchase: Credit

Purchase date was Dec 22nd, statement date was Jan 18th, and the credit came off my 2016 not 2015 limit.

Neil
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by liw5215
I used my prestige card to purchase a AA ticket through the TY travel portal, charged a $250 on the card, rest of them were paid by the TY points. now I checked $250 charge, it shows as:

CL *TRIP CHARGES TRIPCHRG.COM ID TRAVEL AGENCY AND TOUR OPERATORS $ 250.00

will the $250 travel credit apply? Thanks
Originally Posted by NDN
It did for me manually when I called.
Originally Posted by Khiaao
There rules say it has to be with the airline
I just called up citi on the phone and they said that worst case I will need to call them up and have them apply the credit since it doesn't automatically code as an airline. I'll try and remember to update with a post once my statement closes. It sounds like I have tentative confirmation that it should work fine though for the 250 statement credt.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sintaku
Don't buy allegiant air tickets as their actual website codes as a travel agent so they aren't actually eligible for he fee credit. I either have to buy another ticket or I'm losing out on $100 something of the credit because of those tickets being disqualified.

I'm not saying don't fly allegiant, those guys are pretty cheap and you get 3x points but no fee credit by Citi Prestige.
Geez. I was counting on using this $250 towards an Allegiant purchase. I wonder if Citi would reimburse if I contacted them. May try before purchase.

UPDATE: I PM'd Citi and they said that I could request a manual reimbursement by sending them the receipt/ticket info. If I do this, I'll update with outcome.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 2, 2016 at 8:00 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Used mine for 2x KLM tickets that totaled $227. Also had a $25 partner award ticketing fee from AS redemption and 2x $5.60 from the taxes on AA award tickets.

No issue getting the credit despite the fact that the $250 came from multiple sources.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:31 pm

I don't suppose tickets both through the Thank You portal count? I would prefer to keep two tickets on the same PNR but if I have to purchase one separately I will.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by BoeingOrNotGoing
Used up my 2015 credit but then I had about 4 airline charges after Dec 16th and they all posted towards my 2016 credit, I'm thinking it was b/c the statement closed in Jan.

dec 16 - ??

And you got $1000 credit for 4 airline purchases on AA?

I have not used my 2016 credit wondering if this is doable again in 2016?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
I don't suppose tickets both through the Thank You portal count? I would prefer to keep two tickets on the same PNR but if I have to purchase one separately I will.
I think that people may have had issues in the past, but if you see my above post, I have spoken to citi and they say that the reimbursement should post automatically even though it is coded as "travel agency" instead of "airline". They went on further to say that if it didn't automatically go through that I would only need to call them and they could manually initiate the reimbursement. My statement closed on Monday and I haven't seen the reimbursement yet, but I will update when I see it!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:12 pm

Facepalm-anyone get this credit with RyanAir?-Facepalm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:09 am

Reporting on AS:

$250 reimbursed on 2/10 for airline tickets purchased on 2/2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.