Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by teddy25
Book a southwest flight (anytime or business fare) cost $250 or more. Once the charge posts on your accout, the you can cancel the flight for free.

Your $250 statement credit should hit at the closing of the billing cycle.

Citi has the worst IT system, their system do not recongonized refund. The credit will trigger with the purchase, it will post even the purchase is canceled in the same statement period.
I was already planning to do this, specifically cancelling the flight AFTER the credit posts at end of billing cycle. But you're implying that the credit will post even if the flight is cancelled before the statement closes? Then why wait for the statement bill?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I was already planning to do this, specifically cancelling the flight AFTER the credit posts at end of billing cycle. But you're implying that the credit will post even if the flight is cancelled before the statement closes? Then why wait for the statement bill?
No need to wait .
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Bought a ticket on Alaska Air on 12/22/15, still no sign of the airline credit. Has me a bit nervous since the category is listed as "ALASKA AIRLINES" not "Air travel". The website does show a "You won’t be stranded. Medical Evacuation can help cover the cost of getting you home." ad along with the charge so I'm hopeful it is recognized as an airline thing and will get reimbursed soon.

Neil
Curious if you receive credit as I fly Alaska a lot.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Bought a ticket on Alaska Air on 12/22/15, still no sign of the airline credit. Has me a bit nervous since the category is listed as "ALASKA AIRLINES" not "Air travel". The website does show a "You wont be stranded. Medical Evacuation can help cover the cost of getting you home." ad along with the charge so I'm hopeful it is recognized as an airline thing and will get reimbursed soon.

Neil
Originally Posted by New to FF
Curious if you receive credit as I fly Alaska a lot.
Same here, in fact I am looking at a $254 ticket - please let us know.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'm confident the Alaska ticket purchase will get credited at the end of my billing cycle. I did an award booking on Oct 26th last year that cost $11.20. I got a credit on November 17th.

Only question is whether I'll get a credit for the gift certificates I bought or for the ticket I bought. We'll see!

Neil
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My January 2016 statement includes a $250 credit triggered by airline spending in December 2015, and states:

You have used your $250.00 Air Travel Credit for the year. The credit will reset to $250.00 after your December 2016 billing cycle.
I have previously received the full 2015 credit. I did not have any airline spend dated in 2016.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My January 2016 statement includes a $250 credit triggered by airline spending in December 2015, and states:

I have previously received the full 2015 credit. I did not have any airline spend dated in 2016.
I guess this answer that question.

I read the AMEX Platinum uses the date of transaction. I don't know about the CNB Crystal card.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by frudd38
11/16: Applied
11/20: Approved
11/24: Received card
11/24: $250+ in airline charge
12/2: Statement posted with $250 credit
I recently used the 4th-night-free promotion (end of December) and bought an airfare of $250+ (beginning of January). Both charges show as "activity since last statement" on my account, but neither of the credits show. Do the credits post on the statement closing date, or at some other point?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Airline credit posts on statement date; I believe the fourth-night credits show up any time.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
Not sure if this info was out there yet. I tried getting the $250 airline credit by purchasing a $250 Alaska Airlines Gift Card online. It did NOT qualify for the credit. I even called and asked and the agent noted that it was a gift card purchase and not eligible.

I can confirm that you do not get credit for the purchase of Alaska Airlines Gift Cards. I purchased $250 worth of AS gift cards on the website. The credit card bill shows up as Alaska Airlines GC. I called a citi agent to see if I could get the credit posted manually. She noted that it was a gift card and not eligible.

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2016 at 6:24 am Reason: Consolidate posts from two threads.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
Not sure if this info was out there yet. I tried getting the $250 airline credit by purchasing a $250 Alaska Airlines Gift Card online. It did NOT qualify for the credit. I even called and asked and the agent noted that it was a gift card purchase and not eligible.
lots of reports that Alaskan doesn't work.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
Why would you try to get a gift card as opposed to just buying the ticket? Is it to save it for another year?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Why would you try to get a gift card as opposed to just buying the ticket? Is it to save it for another year?
Didnt have any travel plans on AS in the near future and was getting close to the deadline for 2015. I also booked a plane ticket on Cubana Air, but that didnt code as airtravel so I didnt get credit for that either.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia

That's exactly what some of us were saying in the other thread. Good to see someone actually post factual evidence.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Should have played it safe with AA gc.... you can always book AS on AA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.