Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Print Wikipost

Prestige/Premier are getting face lifts.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by PrestigiousCenturion
Yep. Strip in front and chip in back. The blue part is no longer see through. The design on the front is also 3D now so it's blurry when viewed from the side. Only major difference is the card is now matte
Originally Posted by pritomd
I'm not sure if this is what they'll actually use, but the pics in the OP are what are in the mobile app. I am hoping it matches that.

Notice the chip in the front and the mag stripe no longer on the front (but you see a name if you look closely on the bottom left)
I was referring to the above quoted post, to see a pic of that card.

I noticed this new design long a while ago, and hope it doesn't happen. The current design is fine, it's too bad people are having problems with it.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:27 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40q0sjeho8..._0196.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by mia; Oct 11, 2015 at 5:18 am Reason: Convert unviewable image into link
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Thanks- that's interesting as it looks like they also increased the contrast between the strip and the rest of the card's front
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nick92
I noticed this new design long a while ago, and hope it doesn't happen. The current design is fine, it's too bad people are having problems with it.
Interesting, I don't think the new designs that imply a chip/name on the "front" side and stripe gone have appeared anywhere besides the mobile app (at least iOS), and that didn't happen until the September 7th update (def after July)...I remember because I was so giddy about the potential of new changes, and that I had to see if it meant anything since the design has been bad enough to limit the usage of my Premier/Prestige even though they are my favorite cards..so I made this thread as soon as the update finished.

...and I did use the Citi app quite frequently and I'm pretty confident that prior to that update, the Citi Premier was the old design for the Premier, and the Citi Prestige was just a placeholder card design (the AAdvantage cards also had the old designs) (again, speaking only from iOS experience here).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:49 pm

Interesting, I don't think the new designs that imply a chip/name on the "front" side and stripe gone have appeared anywhere besides the mobile app (at least iOS), and that didn't happen until the September 7th update (def after July)...I remember because I was so giddy about the potential of new changes, and that I had to see if it meant anything since the design has been bad enough to limit the usage of my Premier/Prestige even though they are my favorite cards..so I made this thread as soon as the update finished.

...and I did use the Citi app quite frequently and I'm pretty confident that prior to that update, the Citi Premier was the old design for the Premier, and the Citi Prestige was just a placeholder card design (the AAdvantage cards also had the old designs) (again, speaking only from iOS experience here).
I saw the current design back in July, that's why I posted! Just wanted to clarify that point. Using Android.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Ah I see

I'm not sure about the matte card..it looks like the design is more flushed now. The detail from the original "center" part of the card is not there. It looks like the blue stripe under the mag stripe goes farther too. But I do like the matte look and will appreciate the feel too..I think I'm gonna ask for a replacement (my Citi logo is scratching off anyway).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:52 pm

Thanks, can you share the back?

Ah I see

I'm not sure about the matte card..it looks like the design is more flushed now. The detail from the original "center" part of the card is not there. It looks like the blue stripe under the mag stripe goes farther too. But I do like the matte look and will appreciate the feel too..I think I'm gonna ask for a replacement (my Citi logo is scratching off anyway).
I think the very first printing was the best with the invisible mag strip ^ I'm not a fan of the thicker and darker strip and this newest design looks terrible. I do prefer the matte, but not going to request a replacement card. Last time it triggered an expiry date update and I want to keep using my Nov 2014 batch of cards
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:42 am

I got an email from Citi yesterday at noon and it shows a picture of the front of the card.
The stripe is gone, the chip is on the front and the name of the cardholder is on the front.
The card was the Premier.

Last edited by bigbuy; Oct 12, 2015 at 3:48 am
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys

On Sunday night I requested Citi to overnight a replacement Prestige and also Premier. I can also confirm they are now matte, and the arc is no longer see through. I think it feels slightly nicer due to the matte, but still pretty flimsy. Also, I noticed that on the back, on the bottom right where it says "940 (920 on Premier) 0E Exp 05/16"...on the new cards that are matte, it now says 05/17 instead of 05/16. What is this number? Yes, this isn't my card number or date...it's upside down and appears to be hidden on purpose.

Pictures of the Native American + other guy and est. 1812 don't have as much detail as before; Premier looks better. Plus, Premier is really neat in that in person, it looks like it's slightly below level - - it looks 3D almost like the 'coin' is slightly lower.

On the backside, for the Premier, the intercrossing circles convene on the signature strip rather than not go all the way. Prestige looks similar to previous glossy card on the back. The Premier's stripe also blends more in with the background; it'll be harder for cashiers to see (IMO) even though it's solid stripe now instead of see through.

I really hope this isn't the design changes they meant..I really hope they plan to modify it to match what's in the app!

And of course..pics (with the 4, the new ones on the left):
http://imgur.com/a/3aNKI
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
Also, I noticed that on the back, on the bottom right where it says "940 (920 on Premier) 0E Exp 05/16"...on the new cards that are matte, it now says 05/17 instead of 05/16. What is this number? http://imgur.com/a/3aNKI
I'm not sure what that number is - when I saw it on other cards, I always thought it was the series of card types or versions related to the issue date.

However, I'm curious since that date (05/16) is where our information is (which can obviously change from card to card). Right next to the beginning of the signature line, there's another date: 01/15. That's on the part of the card that doesn't change. On your new card, do you see that date, and is it the same as the old one?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
I'm not sure what that number is - when I saw it on other cards, I always thought it was the series of card types or versions related to the issue date.

However, I'm curious since that date (05/16) is where our information is (which can obviously change from card to card). Right next to the beginning of the signature line, there's another date: 01/15. That's on the part of the card that doesn't change. On your new card, do you see that date, and is it the same as the old one?
Assuming it's the sideways number...yes I see that.

Old Premier: 01/15. New Premier: 10/15
Old Prestige: 01/15. New Prestige: 07/15
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mk712
As far as the plastic feel goes, it's probably because that transparent bit in the middle of the card prevents them from using the same plastic as is usually used on credit cards.
Except that the Citi Gold debit card has a translucent component but is thicker and higher quality than these cards.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

The Citi Premier is seriously sweet. I find myself sitting here moving it around because the 1812 coin seriously looks 3D and I'm trying to figure out how! I think it's some sort of optical illusion lol...
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:13 am

The new design is live? It shows chip on front, name on front on the app page and also when you sign on via the desktop site. I guess Citi caved, too bad they just didn't offer two designs like Chase does with SP.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:07 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I tweeted (and subsequently received a call from) the social media team at Citi, who confirmed that a new card design is available as of today. I made sure to clarify that the new design indeed moves the strip to the back, and they said that yes, it's like the "old" design and that the current design was not popular with cardholders. They are expediting a replacement card to me, so I'll confirm the design on Tuesday when it arrives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.