Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
I have a question about how this coverage works in very specific situations....
Which card do you have?

Have you read the relevant portion of the benefits guide? If not, there are linking in the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mia
Which card do you have?

Have you read the relevant portion of the benefits guide? If not, there are linking in the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016.
Citi Prestige. Edited my post to reflect that.

I've read the benefits guide... it looks like certain things would be covered, but I was hoping to hear from anyone who had some real-world experience with filing a similar claim.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Flight canceled in Europe due to strikes, delayed till next day with a 24 hour notice. Airline said they would cover up to 200 for the cost of my hotel, but since it was last minute and my flight was at 7 AM, I needed a hotel nearby. My hotel was 270 - would I be able to get Citi to partially reimburse my costs? Does the $500 total deduction go down by 270 even if I only get partial reimbursement from Citi?

Basically, I'm concerned if I request compensation from BA I won't be able to get the full compensation from Citi (which should come out to no more than $400, about $150 more than BA would be willing to cover).
The ideal situation would be to get the airline to cover
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:47 am

Citi Delay Protection is secondary so if the airline reimburses you "for any expenses, [Citi] will cover only unreimbursed amounts." I don't see anything suggesting that the primary reimbursement reduces Citi's $500 limit, only that Citi will only cover unreimbursed expenses.

So if you have a $270 hotel bill and $400 in other expenses, and the airline reimburses you $200 of the hotel bill, you should still be able to get $470 from Citi. At least the way I read it.

Last edited by themicah; Oct 11, 2017 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:46 am

Question About Delays

I realize that the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select insurance coverage does not cover Missed Connections if the flight-that-caused-you-to-miss-the-connection-was-not-more-than-3-hours-late.

However, I got to thinking about my situation: initially I missed an evening flight due to a 72 minute delayed international arrival (AA reps were waiting for us to give us hotel, taxi and meal vouchers---even though we might have been able to make the flight, highly doubtful, they told us it wasn't an option---plus our original final flight actually left early, so that's that). The re-scheduled flight was then re-scheduled to the NEXT day because once again we'd miss our connection (so we would have been 2 days late had we gone with AA's plan). We had to get home THAT day and so found an agent who was willing to re-route us to an airport 3 hours away from our original.

I do realize our car rental to get home is not covered....however, a taxi would be (as long as the delay was for a covered reason).

In light of the 2nd delay, would it be worthwhile to contact Citi insurance about this, or am I best to not bother?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Wow, OK, I just had something very similar come up and posted over in the AA forum. Basically, put in for it and then take it up the chain. It is Trip Delay on page 12 of the benefits. It doesn't say flight delay, it says Trip. Your trip was to your final destination and therefore it is covered. I got paid out on this just this week.

Originally Posted by miles4sheli
I realize that the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select insurance coverage does not cover Missed Connections if the flight-that-caused-you-to-miss-the-connection-was-not-more-than-3-hours-late.

However, I got to thinking about my situation: initially I missed an evening flight due to a 72 minute delayed international arrival (AA reps were waiting for us to give us hotel, taxi and meal vouchers---even though we might have been able to make the flight, highly doubtful, they told us it wasn't an option---plus our original final flight actually left early, so that's that). The re-scheduled flight was then re-scheduled to the NEXT day because once again we'd miss our connection (so we would have been 2 days late had we gone with AA's plan). We had to get home THAT day and so found an agent who was willing to re-route us to an airport 3 hours away from our original.

I do realize our car rental to get home is not covered....however, a taxi would be (as long as the delay was for a covered reason).

In light of the 2nd delay, would it be worthwhile to contact Citi insurance about this, or am I best to not bother?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:14 pm

Two notes here:

1) Citi AAdvantage Platinum cards have 12 hour delay protection, not 3 hour delay protection like Citi Prestige or Citi AA Exec.

2) On a connecting itinerary, it doesn't matter how late each individual flight is. It just matters when you get to your final destination vs. when you were originally supposed to get there. If you arrive 24 hours later than originally scheduled, it doesn't matter that the first flight was delayed only 72 minutes and the rescheduled second leg ran perfectly on time. Your trip was still delayed 24 hours.

What time did you arrive at the new (re-routed) destination airport? If it was more than 3 (or 12) hours after your originally schedule arrival time at your original destination airport, I'd try making a claim (assuming you have expenses that weren't covered by the vouchers the AA reps offered you). It's possible that the change in destination will invalidate your claim, but I'd try it anyway and just emphasize the difference in arrival times (and not mention the difference in arrival locations).

I'm not sure what you mean. Car rentals are explicitly covered by Trip Delay coverage. There have been reports that Citi won't reimburse one-way car rentals that are used in lieu of the last leg of a flight, which is similar to what you did. So you may indeed be out of luck if you try to get that car rental reimbursed. But I don't think they'd reimburse a one-way 3 hour taxi ride in lieu of the last leg of the flight, either.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:21 am

Thanks 50ae and themicah, for your advice!

I was about 14 hours late to my final destination (it would have been a day later than that if they hadn't re-routed us), plus we had to get a rental car to get home, as the new airport was 3+ hours away from the original. (On the re-routing aspect, I actually had a ticket that covered this for free, if needed, so it would seem additional expenses connected should be covered).

I actually called Citi before I posted the other day to place a claim and they told me my rental car was not covered (sounded like it was a standard rule) since I didn't keep it in the initial destination (meaning, it would have been covered if I'd stayed overnight where I flew in, but just not to drive it home. The rep told me I'd be better off taking a taxi....don't think I'm willing to risk that type of expense and then find out later it wouldn't be covered).

She also said because my initial flight was only 72 minutes late, how late I was to the final destination didn't matter. That doesn't make good sense to me.

I agree with the both of you about the common-sense aspect of all this. I will call back and try to get somewhere this time.

THANKS again!

UPDATE: I called Citi Benefits again, and once again was told that the car rental did not count as "ground transportation" --- that if I was covered, it would be better to take a taxi because they are re-paid (even if it was $500) but car rentals to get home are not. Both agents flat out said car rentals are never covered (although there is separate car rental insurance), but the money spent to rent a car is not included in any of the policies, according to them.

It's hard to think of each and every scenario in advance and when you're in the middle of an emergency, hard to make time to call and make sure what you're doing is a covered expense (especially when you get a call at 5am telling you your flight is re-scheduled to the next day and you need to get home today!). And when you do ask pointed "what if" questions in advance, it's hard to get a straight answer.

This time around, she told me anything put on my Citi card AFTER 12 hours of delay was covered, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect information. My reading (and from prior conversations) leads me to understand that if your delay is 12+ hours, then expenses up to $500 per person are covered if you charged your initial trip to the card (she made it sound like it you had to use your card for the reimbursable expenses during the delay). I don't believe the plain meaning of the rule is that you wait around for 12 hours and then start paying for things. . . .I'm pretty sure that is how long your delay must be before the benefit kicks in for expenses incurred during the delay.

Last edited by miles4sheli; Oct 18, 2017 at 3:14 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themicah
I'm not sure what you mean. Car rentals are explicitly covered by Trip Delay coverage. There have been reports that Citi won't reimburse one-way car rentals that are used in lieu of the last leg of a flight, which is similar to what you did. So you may indeed be out of luck if you try to get that car rental reimbursed. But I don't think they'd reimburse a one-way 3 hour taxi ride in lieu of the last leg of the flight, either.
Ground transportation is covered but that’s different than car rental being explicitly stated as covered.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Just to add my previous experience with rental car (about a year ago). I was on a trip TPA-ATL-GSP. My flight TPA-ATL was delayed by about 3.5 hours and my ATL-GSP flight was completely cancelled. I decided to rent a car and drive to GSP instead of take the flight the next morning and that was not reimbursed. All of my meals were though. So I've learned that rental cars are not as cut and dry even though it cost less than me staying in a hotel in ATL. A little silly, but what can you do!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:50 pm

She also said because my initial flight was only 72 minutes late, how late I was to the final destination didn't matter. That doesn't make good sense to me.
Yeah, that's just wrong.

This time around, she told me anything put on my Citi card AFTER 12 hours of delay was covered, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect information. My reading (and from prior conversations) leads me to understand that if your delay is 12+ hours, then expenses up to $500 per person are covered if you charged your initial trip to the card (she made it sound like it you had to use your card for the reimbursable expenses during the delay). I don't believe the plain meaning of the rule is that you wait around for 12 hours and then start paying for things. . . .I'm pretty sure that is how long your delay must be before the benefit kicks in for expenses incurred during the delay.
You've been getting some bad agents! If this were the rule and you had a 10pm flight canceled and rebooked for noon the next day, you couldn't book a hotel room for the overnight delay.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Ground transportation is covered but that’s different than car rental being explicitly stated as covered.
D'oh. I could have sworn it was more specific than just "ground transportation," but I just checked and you're absolutely right that it doesn't say car rental anywhere. So maybe they simply don't consider car rentals to be ground transportation? They certainly don't seem to consider them ground transportation when they're used to substitute for a leg of your flight.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:14 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Question about the Citi TRIP INTERRUPTION BENEFIT

If the airline offers me an alternative because delay/ cancellation Can I refuse it ( if it is not good) and just use the citi trip interruption in this case?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:24 pm
mia

Moderator action

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
If the airline offers me an alternative because delay/ cancellation...
This sounds more likely to be a Trip Delay claim than a Trip Interruption claim. Which card do you have? The terms may vary.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:37 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Prestige , trip interruption doesn't only apply if the flight is canceled no?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:27 am
mia

Prestige benefits document is here: http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide11.pdf

Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection:

WHAT’S COVERED
Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection applies for
reasons listed below. It doesn’t provide coverage if the
Covered Traveler simply choose to change plans, have
a work conflict, not feeling well but still able to travel,
preferred lodging isn’t available or the Covered Traveler
can reach their destination but decide not to travel.
Any event/incident that occurred prior to the Trip being
booked are not covered. Please see “What’s Not Covered”
for additional restrictions.

Covered Reasons: Illness or Personal Matters:
■ The Covered Traveler(s) becomes sick or injured, and is advised
by a licensed medical practitioner not to travel.
■ The Covered Traveler’s Family Member, not traveling on the Trip,
has an injury or illness that is either life threatening or requires
care from the Covered Traveler(s) and is verified by a licensed
medical practitioner.
■ The Covered Traveler’s Pet, has an injury or serious illness that
is either life threatening or requires care and is verified by a
licensed veterinarian. Pet(s) means any domesticated or tamed
animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) dies.
■ The Covered Traveler’s Family Member, not traveling on the
Trip, dies.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) is laid off or fired from their job.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) is called to jury duty or receives a subpoena
from the court, neither of which can be postponed or waived.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) or the Covered Traveler’s Family
Member(s) is called into active military service.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) or the Covered Traveler’s Family
Member’s permanent residence is deemed unsafe or unfit to
live in, or is burglarized.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) or the Covered Traveler’s Family Member(s)
is the victim of an assault within 10 days of the Trip Departure Date.
Covered Reasons: Travel or Weather Issues:
■ Severe weather or natural disaster causes all travel to or from the
Covered Traveler’s Trip destination to stop for at least 24 hours.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) can’t travel due to a quarantine or
a hijacking.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because
of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traffic
accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) misses a cruise or tour departure because
all common carrier travel to or from their destination is cancelled
or delayed at least 3 hours due to severe weather or a problem with
the common carrier.
■ Before the Trip Departure Date, a cruise or tour operator cancels
or postpones a prepaid event or activity, such as a shore excursion,
and it’s not rescheduled at a time and the Covered Traveler(s)
cannot participate during their Trip.
■ A travel supplier, such as an airline or lodge, goes out of business
or goes into financial default after the purchase of the Trip,
impairing the Covered Traveler’s ability to travel.
■ A mandatory evacuation is ordered by a government or public
safety agency at the Covered Traveler’s Trip destination.
■ A terrorist incident certified by a government agency, occurs in
the Covered Traveler’s Trip destination.
I don't see anything in that list that would likely apply to a situation in which an airline schedule change or flight cancellation, but I cannot really tell what you have in mind.

Instead, I think it would be this benefit:

Trip Delay Protection:

WHAT’S COVERED
This benefit covers the following expenses, as long as they are
reasonable and necessary for the Covered Traveler to incur during
the delay:
■ Lodging.
■ Ground Transportation.
■ Meals.
■ Personal or business necessities, such as toiletries, or items
that the Covered Traveler(s) needs when delayed.
The coverage provided by this benefit is secondary. This means if the
Common Carrier or another source reimburses the Covered Traveler(s)
for any expenses, this benefit will cover only unreimbursed amounts.
To take advantage of this benefit, the following conditions must apply:
■ The delay is caused by the Common Carrier.
■ The Covered Traveler’s passport, money or other travel
documents are lost or stolen.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) are not able to board because of
overbooking.
■ The Covered Traveler’s Trip is delayed because of severe
weather, a natural disaster, a previously unannounced strike,
a quarantine or hijacking.

> WHAT’S NOT COVERED
The following conditions are excluded from coverage:
■ The Covered Traveler(s) accepted an offer or coupon in
exchange for not boarding an overbooked flight.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) is delayed due to being involved
in or under suspicion of any criminal act, illegal activities,
or disruptive/abusive behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.