Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The term trip is defined in a way that makes it clear that it includes more than time in-transit from one point to another:

Trip means any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at
least a portion of the cost of such arrangements was paid using
your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points for all Covered Travelers.

Trip Departure Date means the date on which the Covered
Traveler(s) are originally scheduled to leave on the Trip.

Trip Completion Date means the date on which the Covered
Traveler(s) are scheduled to return to their point of origin or
to a different final destination.
I do recognize that my analysis doesn't match what you were told on the telephone.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The term trip is defined in a way that makes it clear that it includes more than time in-transit from one point to another:

I do recognize that my analysis doesn't match what you were told on the telephone.
I still disagree. I read it as:

Trip means:
  • any pre-paid travel, (or)
  • tour, or
  • vacation

I was on item one, pre-paid travel, and I was heading to "a different final destination. "

So again, I saw this as a simple situation:

-Ticket purchased 100% on citi card
-Missed connection due to situation beyond my control
-Seeking reimbursement of change fee to continue travel

It seems like something one would generally expect when told about trip delay, interruption, or cancellation insurance.

The fact that the agent was scrambling to make up reasons to deny the claim speaks volume here, never mind putting me on hold at least 6 times. Clearly the guide was written in such a way so that the customer feels they get great coverage, but the insurance company can find 100 reasons to deny claims. I think we can all agree that it is confusing and ambiguous.

And again, thats on a matter the agent didn't even bring up - but certainly could have, had she agreed that weather is not a requirement for missing a connection.

On another note, I did reach my destination more than 3 hours late, first due to having to take a later train, and second due to the later train being delayed by 50 minutes. The trip delay section of the guide seems to be much simpler, and my delay was caused due to a common carrier (NJ Transit) and then Amtrak. However, the guide does not provide any clarity as to where transfers fit in. That being said, my meal during the trip delay cost more than the change ticket I am trying to be reimbursed. Maybe thats my best course of action here?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:22 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Citi Prestige $500 Trip Delay Protection Benefit

Question about the Citi Prestige Trip Delay Protection that reimburses up to $500 in expenses incurred for a delay over 3 hours. I've seen a few bloggers say that this coverage is only if you've paid for a round-trip ticket. However, in the published terms, I don't see any mention of round-trip:

http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide11.pdf

Can anyone clarify?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ymx
...., I don't see any mention of round-trip:
I think this is what they mean:

How Long are you Covered?
From Trip Departure Date to Trip Completion Date....

Trip Departure Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are originally scheduled to leave on the Common Carrier.

Trip Completion Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are scheduled to return to their point of origin or to a different final destination.
If there is no Trip Completion Date there is no coverage. There may well be another way to establish the Trip Completion Date, but buying a round-trip ticket would be a safe haven that wouldn't require an explanation.

Last edited by mia; Mar 22, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I had coverage paid out in one way ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Covered if prestige is cancelled/downgraded before trip?

I'm currently planning my honeymoon in oct 2017 and am putting all flight charges (award bookings fees and full cash flights) on my Citi Prestige card. My annual renewal will be due in August.

If I'm unable to get a decent retention offer to offset some or all of the $450 annual fee, I was planning to downgrade the card or combine its credit line with an existing Citi preferred card I already have and close the card.

however now that I have flights booked on the card that won't be completed until oct 2017, if there is any trip interruption, would I still be covered by Citi for reimbursement since payment was done and completed using my Citi prestige at time of booking? Or does the card still need to be open and active at the time travel is taking place? ,
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:56 pm
mia

The coverage period of the services described in this Guide will be
cancelled on the date your charging privileges on your card have in
any way been suspended, or if your account is suspended, or if for
any reason your account has been closed. If your account is closed,
or you default under your Cardmember Agreement, your eligibility
to receive the services described in this Guide will immediately be
cancelled.
Read more here:

http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide11.pdf
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

okay, in that case, i'm gonna have to squeeze a retention offer out of a Citi rep lol
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Don't you have 2 months from time of paying annual fee to get the fee refunded if you choose to cancel the card?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:22 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Submitted trip delay claim 3/20, benefits confirmed 4/2

New Citi Prestige cardholder, just submitted my first claim and the process went simply. I had a trip delay due to the east coast winter storm mid-month, had a flight that was cancelled and rebooked 48-hours later out of Denver. Was able to get reimbursed for a 2-day stay at the St. Julien in Boulder, a fantastic property right in the heart of that great city. Filled out the form, emailed it in with the proper documentation, confirmed in six days and maxed out the $500 benefit.

I'm moving all our flight bookings to the Citi Prestige, instead of the Amex Platinum. The Prestige trip delay benefit, in my opinion, is more valuable than the 2 extra MR points. Especially for winter travel.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ymx
New Citi Prestige cardholder, just submitted my first claim and the process went simply. I had a trip delay due to the east coast winter storm mid-month, had a flight that was cancelled and rebooked 48-hours later out of Denver. Was able to get reimbursed for a 2-day stay at the St. Julien in Boulder, a fantastic property right in the heart of that great city. Filled out the form, emailed it in with the proper documentation, confirmed in six days and maxed out the $500 benefit.

I'm moving all our flight bookings to the Citi Prestige, instead of the Amex Platinum. The Prestige trip delay benefit, in my opinion, is more valuable than the 2 extra MR points. Especially for winter travel.
Couldn't agree more on Prestige vs Amex Platinum. Also useful for summer travel too in thunderstorm prone areas such as the Northeast, and Midwest etc.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:10 pm
ymx

Trip delay benefit if I'm not on PNR

Can anyone clarify if this benefit applies to a reservation I book for someone else using my card, and I'm not on the PNR? It's a bit confusing in the policy itself.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
Can anyone clarify if this benefit applies to a reservation I book for someone else using my card, and I'm not on the PNR? It's a bit confusing in the policy itself.
Quoting from the Citi Prestige Guide to Benefits (May 15, 2016 edition), page 13:

"You are still eligible for coverage on Trips for your Family Member(s) and their Traveling Companion(s) even if you are not traveling."

So, I would think the answer is yes, as long as that "someone else" fits the definition of "Who's Covered", per page 12:

"Covered Travelers which means, you, your Family Members, and
Traveling Companion(s) traveling on the Trip.

Family Members means your children, spouse, fiancée, Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; son-in-law or daughter-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.

Traveling Companion means any individual(s) for whom you have paid to travel on your or your Family Member’s Trip.

Domestic Partner means a committed relationship between two unmarried adults, in which the partners, (1) are each other’s sole Domestic Partner, (2) maintain a common residence, (3) share nancial obligations if both are employed, (4) are not married or joined in a civil union to anyone else or are not the Domestic Partner of anyone else, and (5) are not blood related."
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:52 am
mia

Originally Posted by nesnith
"Covered Travelers which means, you, your Family Members, and
Traveling Companion(s) traveling on the Trip.

Traveling Companion means any individual(s) for whom you have paid to travel on your or your Family Member’s Trip.
It appears that unrelated individuals are covered only if traveling with the cardholder or a family member of the cardholder. If you buy a ticket for a friend who travels alone there would not seem to be any coverage.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
It appears that unrelated individuals are covered only if traveling with the cardholder or a family member of the cardholder. If you buy a ticket for a friend who travels alone there would not seem to be any coverage.
Actually, this is a good distinction to be aware of vs. Chase's coverage.

Chase's coverage will only cover (a) cardholder, (b) cardholder's spouse or domestic partner and (c) cardholder's children under the age of 22.

No coverage is provided for others, even if they are travelling with the cardholder, so people with coverage on both Citi and Chase cards may wish to use their Citi cards if they are buying tickets for, or travelling with, other covered family members, or travelling with unrelated individuals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.