Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
It appears that unrelated individuals are covered only if traveling with the cardholder or a family member of the cardholder. If you buy a ticket for a friend who travels alone there would not seem to be any coverage.
That's a good point. ^
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:13 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I just called Citi benefits and was told anyone would be covered as long as ticket was charged to the card - even a non-family member traveling alone.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ymx
I just called Citi benefits and was told....
In the unlikely event that you file a claim, do you think that telephone conversation will supercede the clear written terms of the benefit?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by themicah
I would fight that if it's more than a few bucks. It says ground transportation is covered in the T&Cs and nowhere does it exclude rental cars.
Originally Posted by robbierob03
Unless the terms have changed in the last seven months, rental cars are definitely included in the definition of ground transportation. I successfully submitted a claim for a rental car to a connecting city after a weather delay back in March. You should definitely call in and speak to a supervisor.
I got caught up in all the Atlanta weather issues this weekend, and rented a car to get from Atlanta to Charlotte, NC so that I didn't need to spend the weekend at the airport. It seems rental cars are still being initially denied by the front line reps. I'll still include it on the claim form and deal with the claims adjuster if it comes to it, but it's sad the reps are still trying to deny car rentals under the guise it's not "ground transportation" .
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I think the point of trip delay was to cover expenses while you wait ("delay") until original carrier reaccomdated you as per their contract with you. In that regards, car rental would not be covered because you are getting refund carrier for the unflown segment. Transportation you take to your destination in lieu of original airline ticket, in my opinion, is not ground transportation for coverage purposes.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by seawolf
I think the point of trip delay was to cover expenses while you wait ("delay") until original carrier reaccomdated you as per their contract with you. In that regards, car rental would not be covered because you are getting refund carrier for the unflown segment. Transportation you take to your destination in lieu of original airline ticket, in my opinion, is not ground transportation for coverage purposes.
If Citi or Virginia Surety would update the benefits guide and specifically exclude car rentals from their definition of "Ground Transportation" I'd have no problem with that explanation. I would even accept a strict limitation of "Ground Transportation" to and from the affected airport only.

However I do have a problem with the benefits guide using broad language, but the reps limiting that definition by hiding behind exclusions that can't be found anywhere. I mean seriously Citi's own definition of "Ground Transportation" includes rental cars per their card terms! Pure conjecture - but I personally think what's happening is the front line rep is saying rental cars aren't covered so it doesn't get put on the claim in the first place. Even without my first hand experience that rental cars get paid out under this coverage, I would expect this to be a quick and simple conversation with the claims adjuster who has the actual policy information.

Either way I'll update the thread once I get a response on my claim. I'm just waiting on the trip insurance verification email from Delta so I can submit my package.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by robbierob03
If Citi or Virginia Surety would update the benefits guide and specifically exclude car rentals from their definition of "Ground Transportation" I'd have no problem with that explanation. I would even accept a strict limitation of "Ground Transportation" to and from the affected airport only.

However I do have a problem with the benefits guide using broad language, but the reps limiting that definition by hiding behind exclusions that can't be found anywhere. I mean seriously Citi's own definition of "Ground Transportation" includes rental cars per their card terms! Pure conjecture - but I personally think what's happening is the front line rep is saying rental cars aren't covered so it doesn't get put on the claim in the first place. Even without my first hand experience that rental cars get paid out under this coverage, I would expect this to be a quick and simple conversation with the claims adjuster who has the actual policy information.

Either way I'll update the thread once I get a response on my claim. I'm just waiting on the trip insurance verification email from Delta so I can submit my package.
Booked an award flight last night due to last minute travel (actually missed my flight the night before so had to scramble) - Settled on an AA award flight with 1 stop.

1st leg delayed due to weather delays in another city, and my 2nd flight was the last flight out of the city, so i've been rebooked for the next flight in the morning. AA wont' refund me but said I could possibly get flight credit. Doesn't sound like they'll reimburse at all.

Booking a low-cost hotel, paying for 2 cabs (to/from), and getting dinner, hoping I can get reimbursement via citi, or I'll just book future flights on my CSR instead.

How long does it take to find out about citi reimbursement?
Old May 28, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
One great benefit of Citi Prestige is $500 towards expenses (ground transit, hotel, food) caused by trip delay of 3+ hours.

You have to put the full fare of your air travel on the card and have a "round-trip" time of 60 days or less.
What if you're using (for example) Delta Skymiles to "pay" for the ticket, and the Prestige card for the taxes/fees? Does this qualify as "full fare on the card"?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:01 am

I don't know where the "full fare" language comes from. The actual languahe is:

To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/or ThankYouŽ Points must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Common Carrier fare.

Whether the taxes you pay for a mileage ticket are a portion of a "common carrier fare" is certainly a question.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What if you're using (for example) Delta Skymiles to "pay" for the ticket, and the Prestige card for the taxes/fees? Does this qualify as "full fare on the card"?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I don't know where the "full fare" language comes from. The actual languahe is:

To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/or ThankYouŽ Points must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Common Carrier fare.

Whether the taxes you pay for a mileage ticket are a portion of a "common carrier fare" is certainly a question.
OK, I called Citi, it would qualify. All set.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The response from xSTRIKEx6864 you quoted was from 2015, and the info was outdated.

Citi's insurance coverage was updated in May 2016, and no longer requires the entire amount to be paid for on the same card.

From the Citi Guide to Benefits:

"Trip means any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of the Common Carrier fare was paid using your Citi card and/or ThankYouŽ Points for all Covered Travelers."
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
For my claim, I'm being asked for

In order to substantiate your claim request, please provide the following information for review.

Billing Statement
Itinerary
Hotel Expense OR Meal Costs
Billing Statement - showing airline purchase, i assume?

Hotel Expense OR Meal Costs - does this mean they only reimburse one, and not the other? Or do I only need to provide one and get both reimbursed?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Billing Statement - showing airline purchase, i assume?
Yes.

Hotel Expense OR Meal Costs - does this mean they only reimburse one, and not the other? Or do I only need to provide one and get both reimbursed?
You should send both and they should reimburse both. They probably pasted this in from some form and didn't modify it. There is VERY little thought going into the way these claims get processed, so just send them what makes sense and if they need something different they'll tell you (and if they reject something unreasonably, you should keep trying).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Is this policy valid for travel TO the US from abroad (for a non-resident US citizen/card-holder)?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:17 pm

"and/or" Language for AAdvantage Award Coverage

Am I correct that the "and/or" language with regard to Citi AAdvantage miles* is that even if you pay the (refundable) taxes on an AAdvantage Award with another credit card, as long as you pay other portions of the trip with your personal AAdvantage card, you are covered under the insurance policy? (I was told this was accurate, but wanted to double-check).

THANKS!

*To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/ or AAdvantageŽ miles must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Trip. In the event of partial payment, we will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount paid for with your Citi card (including AAdvantageŽ miles) or the maximum coverage per Trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.