Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I was pleasantly surprised after being approved in 10 days for a trip delay claim a few weeks ago. After reading this thread, I was bracing myself for a long fight with Virginia, but I submitted my docs and receipts and was approved without a peep. I initially called in to have a rep start the claims process for me -- she was very friendly and sent over everything I needed. In the end, $450 reimbursed for Ubers, meals, and clothing for a ~24 hour delay after a cancellation and rebooking for a covered traveler (not me). The ticket was an award with the taxes paid on the Prestige.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:32 pm

ATL power outage delay got denied. The reason is, the delay must be at the fault of "common carrier" (i.e. airlines), not of the airport.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
ATL power outage delay got denied. The reason is, the delay must be at the fault of "common carrier" (i.e. airlines), not of the airport.
Seems accurate.

■ The delay is caused by the Common Carrier.
■ The Covered Traveler’s passport, money or other travel documents are lost or stolen.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) are not able to board because of overbooking.
■ The Covered Traveler’s Trip is delayed because of severe weather, a natural disaster, a previously unannounced strike, a quarantine or hijacking.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So the last reason wouldn't apply since a blackout isn't "severe weather, a natural disaster, a previously unannounced strike, a quarantine or hijacking?"
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Member

The blackout wasn't caused by weather or a natural disaster.

It was a fire to electrical systems and my understanding is that the primary and backup systems were housed in close proximity to each other allowing the fire to take both out. As stupidity isn't a covered reason, this insurance doesn't apply.

Maybe those who have claims can sue Georgia Power for damages. DL is negotiating with them for compensation.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:58 pm

Layover

Recently had a three leg trip with a 7 hour layover in AMS. The flight to get to AMS was delayed 3 hours. It did not affect my travel plans in substance, as I just arrived later into the layover.

Prestige still paid full reimbursement for claimed expenses.

Last edited by GarlicFlyer; Jan 19, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by 50ae
I had this same problem. Have the benefits book(online) in front of you and IIRC open to page 12 and escalate it at least 3 levels. Explain that you have trip delay and not flight delay protection and your trip was delayed 12 hours. Same exact thing happened to me a couple months ago DFW-ORD-AZO. It was resolved in minutes with that top supervisor.
Thank you for sharing this

Last edited by liushu; Jan 20, 2018 at 2:20 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Amazing. Appreciate the advice. Did this (of course they refuse to escalate and promise callbacks which never happen) but I persisted in getting an actual manager on the phone. I conferenced in a Citibank representative that agreed with me and the correct interpretation of the rules as well. After reading things line by line, and providing some script that our contract attorney suggested, she relented and approved the credit.

Citibank has engaged a despicable organization to provide their travel insurance. Be warned.
Would you mind sharing some hints about the script?

Last edited by liushu; Jan 20, 2018 at 2:22 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:11 pm

I am in the same boat as some people here, was flying Prg-Fra-Ord and misconnected in frankfurt and got put on the next flight which was the next day, but citi is saying since my Prg-Fra flight was only delayed for an hour and a half I am not eligible, tried escalating to no avail, any tips or advice would be appreciated for anyone else going through this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by extremeromance
I am in the same boat as some people here, was flying Prg-Fra-Ord and misconnected in frankfurt and got put on the next flight which was the next day, but citi is saying since my Prg-Fra flight was only delayed for an hour and a half I am not eligible, tried escalating to no avail, any tips or advice would be appreciated for anyone else going through this.
Have looked into EC261/2004?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Have looked into EC261/2004?
I have looked into it but it was a weather related delay
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:58 pm

Did you try filing a complaint to CITI EO?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Recently had a three leg trip with a 7 hour layover in AMS. The flight to get to AMS was delayed 3 hours. It did not affect my travel plans in substance, as I just arrived later into the layover.

Prestige still paid full reimbursement for claimed expenses.
Which were?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Member

I have looked into it but it was a weather related delay
I hope you fight this vigorously. I disagree with the decision. Coverage is TRIP based not FLIGHT based. On the same note, GarlicFlyer's claim should have been denied.

Makes no sense that a misconnect resulting in an overnight at connection point caused by a flight delay of less than 3 hours on the delivering flight is not covered while GarlicFlyer's claim is paid and he/she arrived at destination on time.

Posts 314 and 315 poke holes at their interpretation that Trip Delay is based on flight segments.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by liushu

Did you try filing a complaint to CITI EO?
Excuse my ignorance but what is CITI EO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.