Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Thumbs up

I spoke to the claim adjuster yesterday and ultimately she approved my claim.

I had to walk her through all ~10 pages of documents that I had already faxed to explain what happened. In spite of my delay being >14hrs, she kept saying "your delay needs to be over 12 hours for this benefit." And I kept explaining that my delay was more than 12 hours. Finally she said she would speak to a manager and call me back. 10 minutes later she called back and approved my claim.

Claim was ~$245

Hotel ~180
Breakfast & Coffee ~15
Lunch (which had $25 of beer shown on the itemized receipt ^) ~50

I will be very happy when I actually see the credit on my CC statement or get a check in the mail. This is a great benefit that I didn't even know about until about 48hours prior to this trip.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Glad to hear that your claim was finally approved! The credit took a couple of business days to show up for me after approval.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Anyone ever have a denial of a claim because restaurant or hotel was too expensive?
I was not approved for a dinner expense of $70 on a CSP trip delay claim. I protested and got it approved minus tips.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
So I finally had my claim approved after 6 weeks. (My fault for not following up) However only the food was reimbursed and not my car rental. My situation is essentially:

-TPA-ATL-GSP on Southwest; first leg delayed by about 3.5 hours; second leg delayed for 3 hours and then cancelled due to flight crew timing out
-Southwest was not able to accommodate on the next flight that day so I would have to get hotel and then fly following morning
-Instead decided to do a rental car from ATL-GSP

They are refusing to reimburse rental car because it is not covered. They say that ground transportation is only referring to taxi's to and from hotel. Also said that it wouldn't be covered by Trip Cancellation because the common carrier cancelled it and it wasn't weather. Thoughts? Not a big deal, but I was just wondering if y'all have had any different experiences?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:25 am

How to prove the relationship between the cardholder and a claimant?

My mother-in-law is going on a trip with a friend using air tickets bought with my Citi Thankyou Premier card. If it turns out the trip delay reimbursement is triggered, how do I prove our relationship?

Same question for another trip of my aunt (my mother's sister).
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
So I finally had my claim approved after 6 weeks. (My fault for not following up) However only the food was reimbursed and not my car rental. My situation is essentially:

-TPA-ATL-GSP on Southwest; first leg delayed by about 3.5 hours; second leg delayed for 3 hours and then cancelled due to flight crew timing out
-Southwest was not able to accommodate on the next flight that day so I would have to get hotel and then fly following morning
-Instead decided to do a rental car from ATL-GSP

They are refusing to reimburse rental car because it is not covered. They say that ground transportation is only referring to taxi's to and from hotel. Also said that it wouldn't be covered by Trip Cancellation because the common carrier cancelled it and it wasn't weather. Thoughts? Not a big deal, but I was just wondering if y'all have had any different experiences?

Just got denied for rental car. Ground Transportation does NOT include rental car
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Originally Posted by themicah
My guess is that you'll be successful in disputing it if you are persistent. I don't think the adjusters spend much time looking at what you submit, so they probably just screwed up. Just very clear that you were scheduled to arrive at 12:06am and you actually arrived at 2:31pm and leave out all the other details.
I have the prestige. I'm dealing with the exact same situation right now. Outbound flight was delayed 1.5 hours resulting in a missed connection that required an overnight stay. They are saying that because the first leg of the flight was not delayed more than three hours it isn't covered. I pushed for them to define a 'trip' and point me to where it is only the first leg of a flight. The adjuster simply read fromthe benefits guide. Finally I was transferred to a manager who told me I would need to wait until the underwriters return to the office on Monday for further review. Ridiculous
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by hhhhkk
Just got denied for rental car. Ground Transportation does NOT include rental car
My rental car was reimbursed by Citi when my flight was canceled and rescheduled for the next day.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
I have the prestige. I'm dealing with the exact same situation right now. Outbound flight was delayed 1.5 hours resulting in a missed connection that required an overnight stay. They are saying that because the first leg of the flight was not delayed more than three hours it isn't covered. I pushed for them to define a 'trip' and point me to where it is only the first leg of a flight. The adjuster simply read fromthe benefits guide. Finally I was transferred to a manager who told me I would need to wait until the underwriters return to the office on Monday for further review. Ridiculous
The Citi's Guide to Benefits on the Prestige card stated that:

"If a Covered Traveler’s Trip on a Common Carrier is delayed for at least 3 hours, we may reimburse you for expenses incurred because of the delay."

Was your actual arrival time at your destination more than 3 hours after the originally-scheduled arrival time? If so, then your trip (from point A to point B) was indeed delayed because you arrived more than 3 hours after your originally-scheduled arrival time.

See if this argument would work?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by hhhhkk
The Citi's Guide to Benefits did not define what Ground Transportation means in terms of eligible claimed expenses.

It can be argued that a rental car was needed during the trip delay for "Ground Transportation", which is a covered expense.

It did, however, stated that rental cars are excluded from being considered as "Common Carriers".
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
All these horror stories with Citi bait and switch is making me reconsider keeping CSP just for the travel insurances, which have been fairly consistent for me.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
All these horror stories with Citi bait and switch is making me reconsider keeping CSP just for the travel insurances, which have been fairly consistent for me.
I'm pretty sure the same insurance company addresses Trip Delay claims for both Chase and Citi cards.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:36 am
esf

Originally Posted by themicah
I'm pretty sure the same insurance company addresses Trip Delay claims for both Chase and Citi cards.
Why are you pretty sure?

Virginia Surety is the insurance company that handles card benefits for Citi. Indemnity Insurance Company handles card benefits for Chase.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by esf
Virginia Surety is the insurance company that handles card benefits for Citi. Indemnity Insurance Company handles card benefits for Chase.
Virginia Surety currently handles some benefits. I know my recent Price Rewind claims have been handled by them.

But when I made a Trip Delay claim last year I dealt with IDS Property Casualty Insurance, not Virginia Surety. Perhaps that changed since then?

I'm not sure why I thought IDS handled Chase's trip delay claims, but I could have sworn I read that somewhere. I do see that Chase's benefits guide says it's administered by Indemnity Insurance Company.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:16 am

This is really pretty clear. It says trip, not flight. Under insurance law, if there is an ambiguity in the policy, it is supposed to be interpreted to favore the policy holder, not the insurance company.

Originally Posted by nesnith
The Citi's Guide to Benefits on the Prestige card stated that:

"If a Covered Traveler’s Trip on a Common Carrier is delayed for at least 3 hours, we may reimburse you for expenses incurred because of the delay."

Was your actual arrival time at your destination more than 3 hours after the originally-scheduled arrival time? If so, then your trip (from point A to point B) was indeed delayed because you arrived more than 3 hours after your originally-scheduled arrival time.

See if this argument would work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.