Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like the administrator is definitely twisting the benefit. The benefit is Trip Delay Protection, not Flight Segment Delay Protection.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:34 pm

Trip Delay on Citi AA Platinum Select for a SW award flight

Has anybody used the Trip delay benefit on the Citi Advantage Platinum select for a non AA award flight?

I am planning to travel on SW flight on points on Tuesday. And with the big storm coming in, there is a chance that the flight to CT will be cancelled. Good thing is my stopover is at LAS, so a night out in Vegas wouldn't be so bad. But it would be even better if Citi is paying for my accommodation.

I do have a Citi Prestige and can cancel and rebook for better benefits(3hr vs 12hr delay) but rebooking would change the flight to have a stopover in Denver. (mehh)

What do you guys think?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by draconiandevil
Has anybody used the Trip delay benefit on the Citi Advantage Platinum select for a non AA award flight?

I am planning to travel on SW flight on points on Tuesday. And with the big storm coming in, there is a chance that the flight to CT will be cancelled. Good thing is my stopover is at LAS, so a night out in Vegas wouldn't be so bad. But it would be even better if Citi is paying for my accommodation.

I do have a Citi Prestige and can cancel and rebook for better benefits(3hr vs 12hr delay) but rebooking would change the flight to have a stopover in Denver. (mehh)

What do you guys think?
I think you should examine the terms and conditions of that card's Trip Delay coverage.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if the Citi prestige delay insurance has a cut off for the receipts. My flight today was delayed over 3 hours, negating my need for the trip. I don't need a hotel today, but might on Wednesday or Thursday. Do all receipts submitted need to be dated the day of travel?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Travel Insurance (AA MC Plat)

Has anyone ever used the travel insurance through this card when traveling from somewhere international to the US?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Expenses need to be "reasonable and necessary for the Covered Traveler to incur during the delay."

If the airline rescheduled you for a flight out on Thursday or Friday, I could see submitting a hotel expense for Wednesday or Thursday night. But if you simply canceled the trip, it's pretty hard to argue that a hotel stay a couple days after the canceled trip was "during" the delay.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Angry Seriously?

This is about a trip interruption coverage, not a delay, but I couldn't find a more appropriate thread.

I just had the most ridiculous call with a CSR from Virginia Surety. The very short version of our claim was we (spouse and myself) arrived in SIN and an hour later get a call that my mother-in-law has become critically ill (5% chance of survival given by the Dr). We abandon the trip and are en route back to the US 4 hours after arriving.

The trip purchase was a mixture of Chase Reserve and Citi Prestige. The only expense that was charged to my Prestige card that wasn't credited/refunded by a vendor was a single tour pass for ~$340. I assemble every conceivable document to support the claim and mail them off. I get an e-mail 1.5 weeks later that I am missing the credit card bill showing the expense and the physician's note. I had included both in the mailed documents, so I call to inquire what's going on.

Me: Hi. I'm calling about claim XYZ because I was told I was missing these documents via an e-mail today

CSR: Let me look at this..You wrote "see charge on other side" but you didn't scan the other side

Me: I didn't scan anything, I mailed in the documents

CSR: Umm. Hold Please *5 minutes pass* I've checked and I see that there was another side.

Me: Ok, I also included a physician's statement, but you didn't send me a form so I sent a copy of the form I used for the expenses I had with another card.

CSR: I just see your information on the form

Me: Right...below the section where it says claimant complete then provide to physician to complete section 2...that's where the statement is at, Section 2.

CSR: Oh. Please hold*3 minutes pass* I just see a bunch of words. Sepsis, Toxic Shock, Dialysis, Unresponsive (she's reading back what to me was a horrific 4 days of watching my mother-in-law suffer and then die like it's a poorly designed menu) I don't see anywhere where it says that you were advised not to travel (the last sentence reads: Patient died 2/20/17).

Me: That's because it was my mother-in-law who became sick. She was not a traveler - we interrupted a trip because she became gravely ill.

CSR: Oh...Please hold on *8 minutes pass* I've talked to your adjuster, but there's no signature...I guess anyone might have filled out the form

Me: When you get the end of the form, there's a signature next to the words "Physician Signature" He printed his name and ID number under it too

CSR:OK...please hold*3 minutes pass* I've spoken to the adjustor and he can now process your claim.

What on Earth is wrong with these people? Wouldn't someone who reviews documents for a living understand how to skim a document and look for a signature at the end of said document? I had to repeatedly suggest that they try reading the rest of the page. I sent the same documents (other than claiming different items/bills) to Chase and the only communication they sent was, "Thank you for submitting your Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption claim. This letter is to confirm that a payment will be processed for this claim. You will receive a check in the mail for $XXXX in 7-10 business days."

The Prestige card is going to become my 4+ night hotel card. Period.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:02 pm

Saw this comparison of travel insurance coverages from the insurance provider v. credit cards.

http://blog.csatravelprotection.com/...vel-insurance/

Specific credit cards need to be looked up.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

They claim the insurance they are selling is better than credit card insurance.

Their trip delay insurance kicks in after 6 hours and has a maximum of $150 per day. The free insurance with the Citi Prestige kicks in after 2 hours and has no daily limit, and a $500 per person per trip maximum.

I didn't check any other components, but this is the one that people are most likely to use (and which I have used.)

Originally Posted by cargo13
Saw this comparison of travel insurance coverages from the insurance provider v. credit cards.

http://blog.csatravelprotection.com/...vel-insurance/

Specific credit cards need to be looked up.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rjtfdx
This is about a trip interruption coverage, not a delay, but I couldn't find a more appropriate thread.
Im having a similar issue.

I missed my Amtrak train because by NJ Transit train was cancelled. I had to pay $30 in change fees.

Simple enough right?

Under trip cancellation and interruption protection it says...

Covered Reasons: Travel or Weather Issues:
The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traffic accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.
and

You will be reimbursed ....
Change fees charged by the airline or other travel supplier(s).
I try to explain to the CSR the situation, and every sentence she puts me on hold to "speak with the supervisor." I eventually have to read her this section because she insists the only coverage is for weather or health.

Eventually they argue that unless I can provide proof of severe weather or a traffic accident, no dice. Even though I have a screenshot showing my train was cancelled, forcing the missed connection.

I fail to see that requirement for missed connections. And how does one provide proof of traffic accidents on the way to departure after the fact? Search for a notice in a media reports?

My first interaction with a supposed card benefit did not go well at all.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because
of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traffic
accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.
Did you miss half your trip? If not, this paragraph doesn't appear relevant.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:01 pm

I've always wondered what that paragraph (about missing half the trip) means in the rules.

It seems you almost never have to miss half your trip, as you can spend money and find alternate transportation.

One interpretation would mean that you would miss half your trip absent paying the change fee - which would fit the situation here.

Here's the actual requirement as stated in the rules:

The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because
of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traffic
accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.

Originally Posted by mia
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
NJ Transit: 16 minutes
Amtrak 3.5 hours

The failure of the first segment meant I missed the second segment (missed connection), which was indeed more than half my trip.

I rectified it by purchasing a new ticket, which the Amtrak station agent was nice enough to give me for a change fee rather than a 100% new cost. That is what I am seeking to be reimbursed.

Edit: I also incurred the cost of an uber to the station in an attempt to make my connection (missed by 2 minutes), but I didnt even bother to argue that.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've always wondered what that paragraph (about missing half the trip) means
In read it to mean that you miss more than half your time at the destination., otherwise I think it's a Trip Delay rather than an Interruption.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia
In read it to mean that you miss more than half your time at the destination., otherwise I think it's a Trip Delay rather than an Interruption.
Thats an interesting interpretation, although one I can't agree with based on whats written on the guide. While that interpretation could make sense for something like a cruise vacation, I think most people read "trip" as the actual travel portion.

That being said, that segment of the sentence never came up in the phone conversation.

The rep was adamant that the only valid reason for missing a connection would be due to weather or health, something I cannot see backed up by their own guide. Weather or health have their own sections.

Say for example, I missed my departure due to a traffic accident (same paragraph)....do I now have to prove that the traffic accident was caused due to weather!?

Im going to try calling again at a different time of day.

Fortunately, it is only ~$25 (thanks again kind Amtrak agent!), but it is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

I had understood that the prestige offered unrivaled trip protection, and this experience is telling me otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.