Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread for details.

Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

FAQ
Will I be able to earn points on rooms booked via the Concierge?
Yes

What rates can the Concierge book?
Any rate you can book online at the hotel website should be bookable by the Concierge.

Are taxes included in the 4th night refund?
Currently yes. For reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this will change and taxes will not be included.

How to book.

By phone: 1-561-922-0158 (concierge direct), or call the toll free number on the back of your card.

By email: Send to [email protected].
Include:
  • Your name & email
  • Last 4 digits of your card number
  • Hotel name (plus address or link if it may be confused with a similar named property)
  • Stay dates
  • Number of guests in the room
  • Any rate type requests (AAA, AARP, etc)
  • Your hotel chain loyalty number, if applicable

Terms & Conditions: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/additional-info/citi.action?ID=AdditionalInfo-CitiPrestige
Print Wikipost

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit?

CWT offers same rates and even sometimes cheaper rates for SPG/Hyatt/Marriott and can also offer AAA.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:50 am

I'm looking into booking a hotel in cancun, the CasaMagna Marriott in the fall. This hotel has a promo on the CWT website that is 4th night free. I'm curious if i can still take advantage of the 4th night free concept of the prestige card in some way.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Yes. If it's a publicly available offer, just have them make the reservation with that promo code (and clarify it's a public Marriott offer).

If this property participates in the Mastercard World Elite program however, you won't get those additional benefits at the promo rate. FYI.

Originally Posted by longleaf
I'm looking into booking a hotel in cancun, the CasaMagna Marriott in the fall. This hotel has a promo on the CWT website that is 4th night free. I'm curious if i can still take advantage of the 4th night free concept of the prestige card in some way.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
We have been waiting for something since February, with many many calls in to the CG / Prestige / Concierge desk. Also have another one from maybe April we are waiting on.

Booking wasn't easy. And getting the statement credit hasn't happened yet either. Their service reps seem to acknowledge that we are due these monies, but that due to some tech glitch between CWT and Citi its hung up in limbo somewhere.

Until I see the credits hit, I'm leery of using this feature. One is explicitly giving up the potential to book through another portal, or OTA which has a more seamless rebate feature.
It took 4.5 months to get our first credit back, with lots and lots of calling the Prestige help desk.

The second one hasn't hit still. Despite Citi promising repeatedly that it would be on 'the next statement'

The rep freely admitted that something isn't working right with this, and also gave us 5000 TYP for our troubles in dealing with this.

I would suggest that folks using this benefit be ready (and expect to) invest in follow up time chasing these credits down, and document everything via email with concierges and CWT reps, so that later on, you'll be able to point people toward the emails.

Its a valuable/useful perk, but using it is so hard (versus easy cashback/OTA portals) that I'm questioning the incremental value beyond the most expensive of holiday periods.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium
Just to add another data point, I've been trying to book a stay for August. CWT originally quoted me a price higher than what is available booking through the hotel directly for the lowest category of room, but is able/willing to match the rate from the hotel's website.

The snag I've run into is that I've been trying to book a higher room category, and unfortunately the hotel doesn't allow that category to be booked by travel agencies, only directly with the hotel (I suppose this is consistent with other reports stating that the booking engine needs to allow Citi/CWT to put in an IATA number, since apparently when you enter an IATA number it removes the higher category room from the results).

I suppose I understand the limitation, but wouldn't you generally expect the opposite to be true? That booking through a "concierge" should open up more options, not take them away?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by hbtan
I suppose I understand the limitation, but wouldn't you generally expect the opposite to be true? That booking through a "concierge" should open up more options, not take them away?
If the hotel isn't having any problems filling those rooms on its own, why pay an outside sales staff?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case anyone ever wondered about this: Frequent Miler posts that you do indeed have to use the actually card to pay for your stay to get the fourth night reimbursed.

He seems to be pretty surprised about this . . .
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:00 am

I just got an email reply to a request for quotes in Kauai, at 10:30 PDT nonetheless. They want $550 a night for what is $442 on Starwood's site and $475 on the World Elite Mastercard Hotel program site, and $465 on CWT's site. I definitely want the World Elite benefits with breakfast, upgrade, and $100 resort credit, even if I have to pay $475 for that. Is there any way I should be steering the rep to make that happen? We booked the flights using the last of our Prestige companion tickets, so this really might be a bargain trip! Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by gmangg
I just got an email reply to a request for quotes in Kauai, at 10:30 PDT nonetheless. They want $550 a night for what is $442 on Starwood's site and $475 on the World Elite Mastercard Hotel program site, and $465 on CWT's site. I definitely want the World Elite benefits with breakfast, upgrade, and $100 resort credit, even if I have to pay $475 for that. Is there any way I should be steering the rep to make that happen? We booked the flights using the last of our Prestige companion tickets, so this really might be a bargain trip! Thanks!
You should be able to get the $442 rate from the Citi Prestige concierge. You'd save $574 compared to the World Elite Mastercard rate (4 * $475 compared to 3 * $442), are the benefits really worth that much?

To book with the $442 rate, first make sure it isn't a promotional price (no coupon, cookie from a third party site, status discount, etc.). Then call the Citi concierge and say you're ready to book. Give the quote number and they'll conference in someone from CWT who will go over the details before going through with the reservation. At that point just say that the hotel website shows a cheaper price so you'd rather get that rate. Last time I did this the CWT agent told me she couldn't see that rate in her system so she went on the hotel website to check the price and agreed to match it right away: we ended up booking on the spot.

From what I've read here some agents aren't so accommodating but people have had luck escalating to a manager. You can also quote the T&C: "Rates provided will be equal to or lower than the lowest publicly-available fare at the hotel's official website".

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by mk712; Jun 26, 2015 at 1:35 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by hbtan
Just to add another data point, I've been trying to book a stay for August. CWT originally quoted me a price higher than what is available booking through the hotel directly for the lowest category of room, but is able/willing to match the rate from the hotel's website.

The snag I've run into is that I've been trying to book a higher room category, and unfortunately the hotel doesn't allow that category to be booked by travel agencies, only directly with the hotel (I suppose this is consistent with other reports stating that the booking engine needs to allow Citi/CWT to put in an IATA number, since apparently when you enter an IATA number it removes the higher category room from the results).

Book the rate (through CWT) if it's refundable, then email the hotel and see if you can do a paid upgrade =]
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
In case anyone ever wondered about this: Frequent Miler posts that you do indeed have to use the actually card to pay for your stay to get the fourth night reimbursed.

He seems to be pretty surprised about this . . .
Of course you have to use the prestige card to pay for it......

You will enjoy a complimentary fourth night with no black-out dates, when you book four consecutive nights at any hotel booked by a personal travel advisor designated by MasterCard (the "designated travel advisor" is Carlson Wagonlit Travel). Bookings made through other methods such as, travel agents, websites or directly with a hotel will not qualify.

To receive your complimentary night (via a statement credit) you must:

Make a reservation for a minimum, consecutive four-night stay by contacting the Citi Prestige Concierge, to book directly with a designated travel advisor

Fully pay for your stay with a Citi Prestige Card
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fully agree - I can't see why he'd have thought that just the referral credit would be enough to generate the night credit. He must be used to very rudimentary programming systems.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's what I don't get: presumably, part of the point of this benefit is to gain customers for their travel agency services. This is a way to introduce us to the ability to book through their system.

But their system is so insanely convoluted, with the 20 minute holds or the 2 day email response. So who would do that if it weren't for the 4th night free benefit?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Not to mention actually getting the statement credit back is a time consuming slog.

I can't be the only person that is happening to because the rep admitted on the phone to my SO that it was happening to lots of other people.

Seems to be happening more for folios that are non prepaid. Something on the back end where the verification between CWT and Citi that the Prestige was used is blowing up.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:39 pm

Thanks for the advice mk712! They were able to match both the St.Regis website rate and the Mastercard World Elite rate and provide the fourth night free with either. For about $30 more per night, the benefits definitely are worth it! Also we are going with another couple not equipped with Prestige, so I was able to book a room on both my spouse's and my account on the same call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.