Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread for details.

Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

FAQ
Will I be able to earn points on rooms booked via the Concierge?
Yes

What rates can the Concierge book?
Any rate you can book online at the hotel website should be bookable by the Concierge.

Are taxes included in the 4th night refund?
Currently yes. For reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this will change and taxes will not be included.

How to book.

By phone: 1-561-922-0158 (concierge direct), or call the toll free number on the back of your card.

By email: Send to [email protected].
Include:
  • Your name & email
  • Last 4 digits of your card number
  • Hotel name (plus address or link if it may be confused with a similar named property)
  • Stay dates
  • Number of guests in the room
  • Any rate type requests (AAA, AARP, etc)
  • Your hotel chain loyalty number, if applicable

Terms & Conditions: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/additional-info/citi.action?ID=AdditionalInfo-CitiPrestige
Print Wikipost

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:43 am

Guessing no

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
does this work on airbnb u think?

My guess is no. Carlson Wagonlit probably cannot book AirBnB's. You can get an idea what they can book (and prices) by going to http://cwtvacations.com.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
does this work on airbnb u think?
wut du u think?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by BillinKC
Thanks for the thoughts. I really don't have much flexibility with respect to hotel on this trip, but maybe that will make it better. Today, after having the travel consultant tell me that the best publicly-available rate (which per the terms of the benefit is supposed to be the ceiling for the rate through the travel service) was not an eligible rate, I asked for a supervisor, who was fantastic. She understood the situation and gave me exactly what the hotel was offering on its website. She was clearly experienced; perhaps the first-level consultants are not, and that is the problem. In any event, in worked out in the end. While hopefully in the future it won't take as much back and forth, the benefit is substantially monetarily; just this one use pays for my annual fee (without even taking into account the other benefits, such as the $200 airline refund).
My experience has been similar (although a lot more convoluted and drawn out). I went round and round with both Citi Prestige Concierge and CWT - and spoke to supervisors on both ends. I received a quote for a hotel that was significantly higher than the publicly available rate on the hotel's website. I was told that they couldn't book the better rate with the 4th night free benefit, even though that's what the T&C states. They couldn't explain to me why, and 3 times stated they would call me back with an answer, but never did. I was not happy, and let them know (as politely as I could - I'm not a jerk...). I then booked directly with hotel. A couple days later, I got a call from a "customer experience" supervisor, who wanted to know what happened/why I was unhappy. I told her the problem, and she offered to try to find me an answer. She wasn't available when I called back, so I spoke to someone else who said that I was right, and they should have been able to book it for me at the better rate, but that there was a miscommunication and they just got the clarification to do so. So now they're working on trying to get me my 4th night free, even though I booked directly with the hotel, because I tried to do everything right and book through CWT, and it was their mistake.

Basically, if the hotel is a participating hotel, and you find a better rate on the hotel's website, they definitely can book it. If you get an agent who tells you they can't, ask for a supervisor - and escalate as far as you have to.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kaprin02
If you get an agent who tells you they can't, ask for a supervisor - and escalate as far as you have to.
CWT has offices in more than 150 countries worldwide.

Any idea what time zone the CWT agents assigned to Prestige work from?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
CWT has offices in more than 150 countries worldwide.

Any idea what time zone the CWT agents assigned to Prestige work from?
Sorry, I don't. I'm in the US, and I've dealt with Prestige agents based on both coasts of the States, but I don't know about the CWT agents.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:38 pm

Just booked my second trip through the Citi Prestige concierge.

I emailed them asking for a quote for 4 hotels, I got a call the next day asking me how many people would be in the room, then I received a quote by email the next day with all 4 hotels... except they got the dates wrong (quotes were for 5 nights instead of 4 nights, starting a day earlier than what I requested). Also they quoted me the refundable rate, which I didn't care about, but I did notice their prices matched what was on the hotel website for my preferred option (a Hilton property) so I called them anyway asking to book.

The CWT agent couldn't see the advance purchase rate in her system. She asked me if I was a AAA member but I'm not, so she went on the Hilton website to check the rate. When she saw the advance purchase rate she agreed to book at this price, so I went ahead with the reservation. FYI she did ask me for my HHonors number.

I usually don't stay at very expensive hotels yet after only two bookings I've already saved ~$300 compared to the cheapest rate I could find online. I'm starting to love this card much more than I anticipated.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:51 pm

So are people receiving the Mastercard benefits of early check in/ late check out, free breakfast, room upgrades etc? Or is that only for hotels in the luxury hotels and resorts group?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, AA Gold
My experience has been similar (although a lot more convoluted and drawn out).
Basically, if the hotel is a participating hotel, and you find a better rate on the hotel's website, they definitely can book it. If you get an agent who tells you they can't, ask for a supervisor - and escalate as far as you have to.
My experience trying to book my first use of this benefit has been similar. Very frustrating and convoluted. The hotel I was going for was not listed on the cwtvacations.com website, but from this forum I know there are hotels that can be booked using this benefit that aren't listed. I got quoted for the more expensive refundable/flexible rate in writing for the independent hotel I desired, confirming that the 4th night free benefit would apply. I got back to the Citi concierge regarding the much cheaper refundable rates that were on the hotel's website. They conferenced with CWT while I was on hold, and I was told that because the hotel used a third-party booking system and there was no place for the agent to enter an IATA number they could not book the lower rate online. They promised to call the hotel (it was 3 am hotel time) to see if they could book for me by phone. The next day, I was told, no, they could not book the hotel at all because, "80% of the hotels participate in our program, but unfortunately this is one of the 20%." I sort of knew that it wouldn't work out as I had e-mailed the hotel myself the previous day and was quoted a higher rate than was listed on the hotel website.

So, the lessons from this experience is that CWT may not be able to match a rate that you find on the hotel's website if the booking mechanism is through a third-party and the agent doesn't have a place to put the IATA number. The confusing part about this experience is that I was initially told that the 4th night free benefit could apply (albeit to a much higher rate), but later was told that the benefit could not apply to this particular hotel at all.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mk712
You need two things to fully take advantage of this benefit: time and flexibility.

From what I've experienced, they usually take 2 days to respond to anything.
I've always just ask them to conference call CWT.

Originally Posted by impinth06
Just wonder if anyone stayed in a Marriott Hotel using this benefit and got Marriott points and night stays?

I had no problem earning SPG points/night/stay and all Platinum benefits were applied. No sure if Marriott works the same

Thanks
You should also earn Marriott no problem especially if you are booking a rate that is avail on Marriott.com.

With SPG, CWT-negotiated rates are eligible rates.

Hilton CWT-negotiated rates are also eligible rates.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by mango-gecko
My experience trying to book my first use of this benefit has been similar. Very frustrating and convoluted. The hotel I was going for was not listed on the cwtvacations.com website, but from this forum I know there are hotels that can be booked using this benefit that aren't listed. I got quoted for the more expensive refundable/flexible rate in writing for the independent hotel I desired, confirming that the 4th night free benefit would apply. I got back to the Citi concierge regarding the much cheaper refundable rates that were on the hotel's website. They conferenced with CWT while I was on hold, and I was told that because the hotel used a third-party booking system and there was no place for the agent to enter an IATA number they could not book the lower rate online. They promised to call the hotel (it was 3 am hotel time) to see if they could book for me by phone. The next day, I was told, no, they could not book the hotel at all because, "80% of the hotels participate in our program, but unfortunately this is one of the 20%." I sort of knew that it wouldn't work out as I had e-mailed the hotel myself the previous day and was quoted a higher rate than was listed on the hotel website.

So, the lessons from this experience is that CWT may not be able to match a rate that you find on the hotel's website if the booking mechanism is through a third-party and the agent doesn't have a place to put the IATA number. The confusing part about this experience is that I was initially told that the 4th night free benefit could apply (albeit to a much higher rate), but later was told that the benefit could not apply to this particular hotel at all.
This is the exact thing that happened to me - although the hotel I was looking at was on the CWT website. They kept telling me that they couldn't book the lower rate because they couldn't put the IATA number in. But the T&C state "Rates provided will be equal to or lower than the lowest publicly-available fare at the hotel's official website." The hotel is obviously a participating hotel, because they could book it at the higher rate. I was told by a Prestige Concierge supervisor that there was a miscommunication that has now been clarified, and because the T&C state that, they CAN book rates that are available on the hotel's website, with the 4th night free (as long as it is a participating hotel). If you have the time (and the savings is worth your time), I'd call back and push the issue. Get a supervisor involved, if you have to.

In cases like this, it may be something that has to happen on Citi's end, not on the CWT end, so if the CWT agent tells you they can't book that rate, just let the Prestige agent figure out what they need to do.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator request

Originally Posted by mango-gecko
...The hotel I was going for
... the hotel I was looking at...
I think it would be helpful if posters would mention the names of hotels, in particular independent hotels, to help others see if someone has already tried to use the benefit there.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: OpenTable VIP!
Originally Posted by faboo
So are people receiving the Mastercard benefits of early check in/ late check out, free breakfast, room upgrades etc? Or is that only for hotels in the luxury hotels and resorts group?
My one experience so far, yes, room upgrade and free breakfast. This was at a hotel in the "small luxury hotel" group. Wasn't expecting either upgrade, but they were of course welcome. Haven't used the fourth night free at another hotel yet.

The rate CWT found and booked was an AAA rate. ^
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
I have called to book hotels twice with Citi Prestige. Each time I had specific days and a specific hotel in mind. Both times the Citi agent conferenced in a the travel agent to book the room.

While not as convenient as booking directly via a website, I have been able to get the rates I was expecting. Both travel dates are in the future, so no real experience in executive yet,thought it does look promising.

Hotel booked - Marriott Renaissance Bay Harbor
Hyatt Regency San Fran

Last edited by mia; Jun 7, 2015 at 4:55 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think it would be helpful if posters would mention the names of hotels, in particular independent hotels, to help others see if someone has already tried to use the benefit there.
Hotels that I successfully booked using this benefit, matching the cheapest rate I could find online:
* One Washington Circle Hotel (Modus)
* Homewood Suites Orlando Airport (Hilton)

I haven't stayed at either yet, my trip is in September.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by AirLokita
My one experience so far, yes, room upgrade and free breakfast. This was at a hotel in the "small luxury hotel" group. Wasn't expecting either upgrade, but they were of course welcome. Haven't used the fourth night free at another hotel yet.

The rate CWT found and booked was an AAA rate. ^
The hotel in Spain I was looking at actually is in the small luxury hotels group as well, so that's exactly what I want to hear lol , thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.