Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
When applying for the Citi AA Platinum visa, I believe it asks for your income then other income. For other apps at other banks, I believe it often asks for total household income. And that's what we've put on my wife's apps.

With these personal Citi AA cards, should we list our total household income on my wife's app(s)? She earns a lot less than I do.

And I believe the one I got approved for came with a huge credit limit--17K. I typically like to call back and reduce the credit line to 5K (seems to be the minimum credit line you can have with a Visa signature).

Anyway, what would folks recommend? Wish it just asked for household income... a lot easier that way.
Credit cards have switched from "household income" to "individual income" some time ago.

Citi does not seem to care about the $5,000 minimum for Visa Signature. I have lowered limits to $2,000 and $3,000 on Citi Visa Signatures.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 am
jk2

I am thinking to apply for Citi AA Business card. While browsing the available offers, I found a old link posted here:

https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...8CA1A23E097B1D

What is nice (if it works, of course) is 10K miles for each $5K for the first 6 months. $50 statement credit. Is it better than available 45K/50K offers with up to $150/$100 credit statements?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by jk2
I am thinking to apply for Citi AA Business card. While browsing the available offers, I found a old link posted here:

What is nice (if it works, of course) is 10K miles for each $5K for the first 6 months. $50 statement credit. Is it better than available 45K/50K offers with up to $150/$100 credit statements?
Very interesting link.. gonna go for it?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks Michael. Surprised the link still works since the URL has Sep2010 somewhere in it. And I don't see it on post #1. Can anyone confirm they've used this recently?

Also, why the personal Gold vs. the personal Platinum if both are MC? If I tried to apply for a personal Platinum MC, would that be considered the same product as the personal Platinum Visa I applied for recently? Did not see any mention of this issue in the AA card app guidelines:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14386923-post2.html

Also wondering about the Citi AA Amex. Seems like I can only apply for one more AA Citi personal card; then will have to wait around 65 days to apply for a 3rd personal card.

Haven't applied for the Citi AA biz cards. Would rather get another 50K vs. 30K, but concerned I'll be declined and have that as a negative against me for future CC apps with other banks. Although I've had a Citi biz card in the past. I seem to recall someone mentioning here or in the guidelines that it's easier to get approved for a Citi AA biz card if you've held one in the past (I have, and more than 24 months ago since I canceled it).

Any more encouragement from those who don't have an active business getting approved for the biz card? Been in semi-startup mode for a few years. But no revenue, no registration of the biz, etc. Not sure I want to go down the path of having to provide backup to Citi if declined.
The platinum MC and the AMEX are usually considered to be the same product as the Visa, and you would be declined with no credit pull. But the gold is another product and you should be fine to get that.
As far as a business card is concerned, a pull is a pull. No other bank knows why the pull occurred, nor the outcome. There is not a denial on your report. I applied for the Citi AA for my wife whose business is new and income is low; she won't call recon. I got the app pending screen, and the card was approved 10 days later with no call, only 1K limit so we had to pay as we went. No problems at all.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jk2

Do the math, that card is only good if you plan to spend 15,000 or more within 6 months. The 30K+30K link is better for any lower amount, and spreading spending out (unless you have every other card available or are trying to hit a specific award) makes the most sense.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:30 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Do the math, that card is only good if you plan to spend 15,000 or more within 6 months. The 30K+30K link is better for any lower amount, and spreading spending out (unless you have every other card available or are trying to hit a specific award) makes the most sense.
I don't see 30K+30K link here. Do you have it?

15K spending in 6 months will result in 65K miles (35K after $1K spending + 30K for $15K spending). I would, of course, appreciate to have "old" 50K offer with $150 statement credit, though.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:37 pm

It was in this thread maybe a couple weeks ago. 30K for spending 1000 in 4 months, additional 30K for spending 10,000 within a year.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I don't see 30K+30K link here. Do you have it?

15K spending in 6 months will result in 65K miles (35K after $1K spending + 30K for $15K spending). I would, of course, appreciate to have "old" 50K offer with $150 statement credit, though.
Edit: 30+30 links were posted around April 6 and seem to be dead.

15K spend on 50K app = 65K miles
on the 30+30 app = 75K miles
on the link posted at 35K + = 80K miles.

But you could meet the bonus on 4 different cards and get a lot more for your 15K unless you are already maxed out.

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Apr 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm Reason: Correct
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by pdrickey
Denied for the business Visa for not being a first time card holder. My last Business AA card application was 23 months ago and I closed the account 12 months ago. Any ideas why I am being rejected? Any thoughts on how to get approved? They stated it was their new policy that the offer is only available to first time card holders..
wow, declined for an app 23 months ago. Maybe citi is tightening the citi busi aa applications.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Plat
I wanna report a problem I encountered this week:

Using the AA personal Plat bought a $100 AA giftcard, when its time to get the actual gift card code (they put you on hold for like 3 days before you can actually get it), an error showed up on AA site saying "unable to retrieve the gift card".

Then I called AA CSR, they stated that "security has cancelled the gift card due to gift card purchase does not qualify for the statement credit".

Since when does gift card purchase doesn't count? I called in again, another agent told me the same thing. Just wondering if other people have had this problem?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by milaohu
I applied for AA business card yesterday, received application pending message and an app ID, and was asked to call 866-606-2961.
I called immediately.
Agent declined the app due to I recently closed an Citi Business AA card. She did NOT go to the step of checking my credit score.

Today, I received an email from citi:
"Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application at this time because:
You already have the maximum number of accounts that can be issued to an individual."

Background
I applied for my last Citi AA business card in the beginning of Oct 2012 (so > 6 months), and canceled it in the beginning of last month.
I currently have 4 citi personal cards and none citi business card.

Question: Which one is the true reason of declining my application?
"recently closed an Citi Business AA card" or "lready have the maximum number of accounts".

Several days before my application, I canceled one of my citi personal cards and removed myself from an authorized user of my spouse's citi card. I did that intentionally to avoid the "maximum number of accounts" problem. Well, that still happened....
So the canceled cards were still in the system and counted as "number of accounts" with citi? How long it takes until the canceled cards won't count?

Do I need to wait for 6 months after a declined application to apply for any citi card such as a citi Hilton card?
Originally Posted by businessmachine
I genuinely don't think this is a maximum number of account issue but rather the fact that you just cancelled a month ago which was visible to the agent. I wouldn't give up just yet- try calling and speaking with a different rep and if that doesen't work- request to speak with a supervisor but prepare to have a good reason (as in- this is a new different business) to answer
Thanks. Not sure if the new different business reason is valid. The cancelled busi aa and new applied busi aa are both under the my name.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jk2

Interesting. This is good for big spenders!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:06 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by milaohu
Interesting. This is good for big spenders!
nowadays, everyone is a big spender.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jk2

in the description section, it says,
"Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership2"
so not sure if will be every $5000 or one time deal.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pdrickey
Denied for the business Visa for not being a first time card holder. My last Business AA card application was 23 months ago and I closed the account 12 months ago. Any ideas why I am being rejected? Any thoughts on how to get approved? They stated it was their new policy that the offer is only available to first time card holders..
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Did you close both the business account and the card when you closed the business card? There have been reports on the past that Citi closed the card, but not the actual business account in the past.
I believe the actual account was closed as well, but not completely sure. I don't remember the exact message I received yesterday after I submitted the app, but I believe it said - pending - we need more information from you, please call XXX. I called the number and the rep confirmed my identity and business name, then put me on hold to review. She came back and said I have denied the application and you will receive a letter. I asked why the denial and she said that she looked at my previous card history with Citi and noted that I have had the card twice in the past and that this offer was for new card members only. She then when on to say - I see you closed the latest card in March of 2012, and the first card in February of 2011. I tried everything I could to get her to approve but she wouldn’t listen to any of it. Was a very rude angry woman

I hung up and called again and got a very nice girl who checked the status. She immediately said it was denied for having the card in the past- but said that she would put it through her system again to see what message it gave her. I was hopeful, but she then said - I am sorry, I cannot approve you because you are not a first time card holder.

I was pretty bummed as I have perfect credit - 800+ and have never been denied for a card in the past. Oh well - I guess my luck finally caught up with me. I’m wondering if it would have been approved if I didn’t call and just let it run through the system. I’ll try again in a few months and see what happens. Just wanted to give the warning that they might be cracking down on the business versions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.