Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by businessmachine
Yes. That is what I am planning on doing as well for my wife later this evening. You can also apply another day for the 30k link but that's up to you to determine whether a pull is worth 30k miles.
I like the gold 30K offer because of the minimum spend. I'm planning on applying for the biz offer during my next churn. For me, spreading out the min spend is more important than one big mileage deposit.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Yeah I had the very same issue and I assume it was because my physical and my billing address were not the same. I did call the number as if I was going to make a phone order and mentioned the problem I was having. He tried the order again and it was denied. He called Citi and was able to verify the billing address as being the same and he said he would go ahead and push the order through. This was back in September of last year, so I'm not sure if he was breaking some kind of rule or I was lucky enough to get someone who knew what they were doing.
after several unsuccessful attempts to purchase the GC online and by phone i left messages for a supervisor to contact me but have yet to hear back. as the promo expires on this card at the end of this month i might have to try buying a GC at the airport counter next week
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonuscash View Post
I signed up(for what I thought) was the 50k/$2500 spend offer on the biz card from page 1. When I verified the bonus while activating, she stated it was 50k/$3000 spend. Has this happened for anyone else?

If I have a $3000 spend, is there a good chance I got the offer with a first AA spend attached to it or any way to confirm whether I have that part of not(without actually making the purchase first)?
I'm a lazy FlyerTalker and hate following up on deals. I would either just spend the 3K since I end up spending above the bare minimum on most bonuses. Or I would spend 2.5K with time to spare, and see what happens.

And they said it was $750 spend for me. Whatever, I'll just run a few GCs through it to $3k just to be sure.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:01 pm

Called the Citi number in my approval confirmation email (800-950-5114). Confirmed with customer service rep that the terms were 50K bonus miles after a $2,500 spend in 4 months. Thank you FT. :-) The link I used is in the quoted text below. Time to have my wife apply, then both of us for the Mastercard:

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Applied today for the personal Citi Platinum Select Aadvantage Signature Visa as listed in the original thread, section #2. Was instantly approved. Like others, saw no terms of the bonus on the app other than the $85 fee being waived the first year. Hopefully will have the same good luck others here have reported when I receive and activate the card.

Here is link from post #1, section #2 (Personal Visa) as it was listed on the day I applied (today, 4/13/2013):

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001

Was hoping for better confirmation on blogs like ThePointsGuy.com and MillionMileSecrets.com. But both qualify their statements with something like not my link, can't guarantee it will work. Sounds like from this thread that it will still work. And I can understand bloggers not wanting to receive angry letters from readers if the deal doesn't come through.

I suppose I can always decline the card when I call to confirm the bonus terms and it's not what I expected?

Will try to apply for the Citi Aadvantage Mastercard in a few days like others have suggested. Or possibly the Citi Aadvantage Amex. Being a weekend, maybe this coming Tuesday would be best.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:23 pm

Just thought I'd give an update.

I applied for the Citi Business 20 months ago (canceled about 10 months ago). Just re-applied for the card (used the Business link in page 1 for $2,500) and was approved. I called in to verify the bonus, and it is 50,000 points after $2,500 spend in 4 months.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: United, AA, USAir, SPG, HH, CC
just approved for 50k citi card after 2500 spent 18 months after previous card approval. does anyone have the link for the mastercard handy? been search with no luck...thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esw30
If, theoretically, you are doing an app-o-rama so you're concerned about not getting approved on the second day due to previous inquiries. It may not be necessary in everyone's situation, but that doesn't mean that under specific circumstances it doesn't matter.
It also sounds undependable. Citi AA apps, especially business card apps, are often not approved anywhere near immediately. Do they really always do the pull immediately (and never again), no matter what? Unless they always do the pulls at the moment of application, even if the application is deferred until some human has time to look it, then doing both on the same day wouldn't even necessarily help with an A-o-R.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Originally Posted by Long Islander
Since your last biz Visa app was Aug 2011, it is now 20 months from that app. I would say you should apply now because more than 18 months have elapsed.
It'll be 19 months when I actually churn again - my main concern is that the rules are changing. It'd be good to hear from someone else who applied, then reapplied for the card.
There was never an 18 month rule!

It's a 12 to 26 month rule, with 18 months simply being a rough average. Some people have always had to wait much longer than 18 months, and some people have never had to wait even anywhere near 18 months. (And it's not clear that the same people needed the same duration wait on every cycle.)

So you cannot take one anecdote somewhere within the 12 to 26 month range and use it declare that the mythical "18 month" rule (which was never that precise) hasn't changed.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by brownie20
after several unsuccessful attempts to purchase the GC online and by phone i left messages for a supervisor to contact me but have yet to hear back. as the promo expires on this card at the end of this month i might have to try buying a GC at the airport counter next week
Did you call Citi Card( phone # on the back of the card )?
I think AA(GC) don't care as far as the transaction is approved by CC(i.e. citi card).
I guess your GC transaction thru AA.com was blocked from citi card for some reason.

By the way, we need to select "VISA or MC or Amex" instead "AA CC" when we order GC thru web.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
My sister-in-law would like to go to Hawaii over a holiday time period that would require 90K miles. She has never churned and only has one credit card. Now that the two browser trick is dead is the best advice to apply for the personal Visa for 50K miles followed the next day by the business Visa for 50K miles using the first two links on page 1?

Thanks.
I did both personal and business on the same day. Got both cards.
My wife got a 60k offer. I think it might be related to the fact that she signed up for AAdvantage program a few weeks before.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by naustin
just approved for 50k citi card after 2500 spent 18 months after previous card approval. does anyone have the link for the mastercard handy? been search with no luck...thanks.
Don't know which MC link / offer is best. Can't vouch for it, but googling I just found:

Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard (personal card, not biz)
* 30K AA bonus miles after 1K spend in 3 months
* $95 annual fee waived the first year.

Maybe only 50K bonus offers are maintained on post #1?

Is this the card folks are suggesting one applies to after first applying for the personal Visa Signature version of this card that offers 50K?

Anyway, here's the MC 30K after 1K spend in 3 months link:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ld-mastercard/

Wondering whether historically 30K is the most to expect from the MC.
And/or if I should try applying for one of the CitiBiz cards first. Seen there have been a few 75K offers in the past for various Citi AA cards. But nothing that generous currently.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There was never an 18 month rule!
I think 18 months rule ( or whatever it's called) is only for personal cards.
As I remember correctly, we used to churn the business card every 65 days.
Am I wrong?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I've had the business and personal cards for a few weeks. One of them had 2 Admirals Club passes included. How long does it take to get them? Are they mailed or sent electronically?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
I applied Personal Visa on 3/31 and applied Business Visa on 4/7 from links in group #2. Both approved and received cards. Can I apply Citi AA Gold MC personal (30k mi for $750 spend/4 mos) (link provided on previous post), since its a different product? or should I wait 65+ days?
Did you ever open the Gold card?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:33 pm

I signed up for the AA Visa/Amex a couple years ago when there was a 75k bonus for each. I call in every year and they waive the annual fee for me so I've kept them but I don't really use them anymore. If I were to cancel and sign up again for the two current 50k offers would that be ok?

Is there a waiting period that I have to wait after cancelling before I can apply or should I just keep these cards. Wouldn't affect my credit much either way to keep/cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.