Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Jetpuffed
I was just on the line with Citi to close my Aadvantage Platinum Select Signature VISA, and was told I could reapply "anytime"; that there was no requirement to wait 12-18+ months. I had that comment verified x 3 up the supervisory chain.
You can reapply right away, I believe the wait period is to get the bonus, again.

Edit: Also, Regulation B states that it is illegal for a lender to "discourage" ANYONE from applying for credit, even if they know for a fact you'll get denied.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Was this a step 3 or step 5? Did they ask you to call? If you got to step 5 and it says this they may just want to confirm address and phone #. I've had that be the case for several Citi products.
I don't recall what step. I applied, verified, and submitted the app. Waited about a minute and got the pending response. I was not asked to call.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Has anyone had success getting the 30k Biz MC already having gotten the 50k Biz Visa?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Has anyone had success getting the 30k Biz MC already having gotten the 50k Biz Visa?
Why not close the first Biz Visa, wait for a few months and apply for the 2nd Visa card? I have got around 4 Biz cards in last 20 months (most recent in Feb 2013), although things may have changed recently.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:07 pm

Success

Per below, applied for personal Citi AA Platinum Visa on 4/13/2013. Received card today (4/19/2013). Dialed 0 after activating and re-confirmed the bonus offer and terms. Exactly as I expected: 50K miles after $2,500 spend in 4 months with $85 annual fee waived the first year.

And as stated elsewhere, if you're instantly approved, you can call Citi and confirm the bonus offer terms of the card you were just approved for without waiting to receive the card in the mail. I'm replying to this older email of mine because it shows the link I used below. TY FT. :-)

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Applied today for the personal Citi Platinum Select Aadvantage Signature Visa as listed in the original thread, section #2. Was instantly approved. Like others, saw no terms of the bonus on the app other than the $85 fee being waived the first year. Hopefully will have the same good luck others here have reported when I receive and activate the card.

Here is link from post #1, section #2 (Personal Visa) as it was listed on the day I applied (today, 4/13/2013):

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001

Was hoping for better confirmation on blogs like ThePointsGuy.com and MillionMileSecrets.com. But both qualify their statements with something like not my link, can't guarantee it will work. Sounds like from this thread that it will still work. And I can understand bloggers not wanting to receive angry letters from readers if the deal doesn't come through.

I suppose I can always decline the card when I call to confirm the bonus terms and it's not what I expected?

Will try to apply for the Citi Aadvantage Mastercard in a few days like others have suggested. Or possibly the Citi Aadvantage Amex. Being a weekend, maybe this coming Tuesday would be best.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by Long Islander
If it's your first biz card with Citi, it could take a while and then go through. You could expedite matters by calling, but be prepared for them to ask you more questions about gross revenues, net income, # years in business, and more details about the type of business.
I applied for first business card with Citi today and got message that it will take around week before we hear back. I was not aware of this so reading most recent 4 pages and found your answer.

Thanks!!! Saved some time and not asked already answered question on forum..
^
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by michael_v
There were a couple of business card links in OP under #1 and I am not sure why they were removed. If they have gone dead, here are some additional 50k offers with landing pages for the Visa business card with various spend thresholds and benefits:

50k after $5,000 spend in the first 4 months and 2 Admirals Club passes:
Landing page: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...EC662B4A55B3F1
Application page: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006

50k after $2,000 spend in the first 4 months and $50 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within the first 12 months of cardmembership:
Landing page: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...BABD65B688E968

40k after $2,000 in the first 4 months and additional 10k after $5,000 spend in the first 6 months, up to $100 statement credits, 2 Admirals Club passes:
Landing page: http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...0BAD0DCB9F88C1
Data point: just tried applying via the third link from the above quoted post (NOT post #1 of this thread but the links provided by Michael V). I get all the way through submitting and then just get an error message that the server is having technical problems and try again later. When I call the auto reconsideration line, the Citibank computer has no record of my application.

Don't know if it's a temporary issue -- I've tried it twice from two different computers and browsers and gotten the same result.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:17 am

Second AAdvantage personal card with more than a 30K bonus?

Using the links in #1, I had been approved last month for both the platinum Visa and the business Visa, each with a 50K bonus!

I'm now waiting out my 65 days to apply for another personal AAdvantage card, and from the info I appreciatively gained here, fully understand that I can apply for the AAdvantage Gold and pick up another 30K bonus.

I was wondering if there is a different Aadvantage personal card link through which I can pick up more than a 30K bonus on my second card. The minimum spend would not be an issue.

It seems that everybody refers to the 30K Gold as the go to card for the second card, but I was curious if there is another option.

PLEASE don't flame me if the answer to this question is out there in one form or another. Maybe I'm dumb, but I'm not lazy; I really did try to find it over the past few weeks both here an on other sites. Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Long Islander
The credit pulls are apparently not consolidated and they seem to be denying apps on the same day. So anytime Saturday or later should work. Let us know if you get instant appoval on the 30k MC as well. My wife and I both got pending last night after getting instant approval for the Plat 50k Visa late Feb-early March.
Hmmm... So if they're not consolidating the apps why is everyone going gaga over getting the 30K card? It's an extra pull which I could've used for another card/issuer, no?

Sorry I'm just confused if there's a reason why people are doing back to back apps.

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:34 am

Thank you! I've asked that here but nobody answered.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Credit cards have switched from "household income" to "individual income" some time ago.

Citi does not seem to care about the $5,000 minimum for Visa Signature. I have lowered limits to $2,000 and $3,000 on Citi Visa Signatures.
Thanks Michael and to others who've been replying to my posts.

So, with the AA Plat Visa Signature for my wife, regardless of what is now being asked, should I nevertheless put in our household income? Or her individual salary (which is on the low side) in terms of approval? With the lower salary (around 30K), given that I personally got approved for a 17K credit limit, would she be at risk of being denied? Or would she possibly be given another version of the card with a lower mileage bonus?

Want to play this right the first time.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi there,

two questions:

1. I closed my AA Gold visa last month (I had it for 1 year). Should I apply now for the Visa AA Plat or wait longer?
2. I opened my AA Biz visa in October... I am planning to try a churn... can I close it now safely or do I risk losing my bonus?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by i_gtgo
Hmmm... So if they're not consolidating the apps why is everyone going gaga over getting the 30K card? It's an extra pull which I could've used for another card/issuer, no?

Sorry I'm just confused if there's a reason why people are doing back to back apps.

Thanks.
While it is another pull, it's another opportunity to get AA miles without having to wait 18+ months to reapply for the Platinum card. I think it's worth the extra pull for some, while for others it is not.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by andysiz
Similar experience. Applied to link#1 Visa 3/22, got pending message. Called recon/credit several times and got weird responses like "we don't even see what card this application is for...you'll have to wait a few more days". After a week of run around, I noticed citi had not pulled my credit report yet and reading this thread assumed the link was being pulled by citi, so I applied for the visa in link #2. After a call to recon, was approved, and received the card in the mail a week ago. Today, got an email saying I was approved for that first app - the approval email refers to a different card number than the card I got in the second app. Might be getting two 50k cards! I can only hope.
To follow up -- I *did* get a second card (for that first "lost" application) and confirmed the 50k bonus when activating the card. Looks like I got lucky and got two 50k bonuses. I don't know if the first app getting lost had to do with the 3/21-3/22 pulling of link #1, but perhaps it's possible for some to replicate this situation and get two 50k bonuses.

Side note: the Platinum card from link #1 came with a chip on it; the Platinum card from link #2 came without a chip. Strange.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andysiz
...Side note: the Platinum card from link #1 came with a chip on it; the Platinum card from link #2 came without a chip. Strange.
So they're actually two different cards, physically. Congratulations on your luck. I was thinking about applying for a second AA Visa without cancelling the first, just to see if it would work, but I have too many card spends to make right now, so maybe in a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.